Stanford (3) @ Oregon (6) - 1/16/20 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stanford (3) @ Oregon (6) - 1/16/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I guess they’re keeping her in to score her career high.

Reaction Score
Not sure I am understanding why Oregon winning by 30 with two minutes left and they are lofting back to back 3’s?

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
Sabrina did everything but get a Triple Double.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This year, as UConn sputters to who knows what, Sabrina will soon be playing for my Liberty. :D

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wow, Oregon really blew open that game in a hurry. Stanford started the 2nd half on a little run and actually took a 1-point lead. Oregon then outscored Stanford 43-12 over the next 13 minutes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow, Oregon really blew open that game in a hurry. Stanford started the 2nd half on a little run and actually took a 1-point lead. Oregon then outscored Stanford 43-12 over the next 13 minutes.

Toying with a chew toy

Reaction Score
Easy triple double IF Boley and others were hitting their 3’s. What 1 or 2 makes in the first 12-14 attempts?

Reaction Score
Info: Sabrina stays in the game because she wants to. And Coach knows better than to take her out when she wants to play. ☺

Well she did stay an extra year instead of entering the draft as the #1 pick. Would you get too bossy with her?

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

As an Oregon fan, I'm a bit stunned by this game. Early on, I was certain that Stanford would win (as was, I think, a substantial portion of the crowd), and it wasn't until halfway through the 2nd quarter that I began to believe the outcome might be different. (Sort of like the USA game.)

I think that Oregon fans assumed that this year's team would be another (persumably better) version of the team that shot 50% overall and 40%+ from three, with four starters over that number--but with more depth. But it now seems likely that's not going to happen. As posted above, none of the returning starters has been nearly as effective from distance as she was last year, and the elegant, very efficient offense of last season has mostly been absent. I think it's taken the staff and team a while to come to terms with that and make adjustments--namely a new emphasis on defense--and learn to win like they did tonight. And that's why the best lineup at present is imo Ionescu, Hebard, Sabally, and some combination of Moore, Chavez, and Shelly. That's the one that broke this game open and was also responsible for the 2nd half showing at Arizona. Boley may continue to start, but this is the lineup that I believe Oregon will have to rely on going forward.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This is why I have never thought Stanford should be ranked above UConn. Our first ten will beat any teams first ten in the country, but I think there are 7-8 teams' whose first five can, on a given night, take us to the cleaners, especially until Carrington comes back (if she even does... :(). Tonight was one of those nights. And Ionescu was basically 2.5 players on one...
It struck me how this is basically a repeat of last year's shellacking that Oregon gave Stanford. I'm sure that Stanford will rebound from this loss, just as they did last year. But yeah, they need Carrington back.

Reaction Score
As an Oregon fan, I'm a bit stunned by this game. Early on, I was certain that Stanford would win (as was, I think, a substantial portion of the crowd), and it wasn't until halfway through the 2nd quarter that I began to believe the outcome might be different. (Sort of like the USA game.)

I think that Oregon fans assumed that this year's team would be another (persumably better) version of the team that shot 50% overall and 40%+ from three, with four starters over that number--but with more depth. But it now seems likely that's not going to happen. As posted above, none of the returning starters has been nearly as effective from distance as she was last year, and the elegant, very efficient offense of last season has mostly been absent. I think it's taken the staff and team a while to come to terms with that and make adjustments--namely a new emphasis on defense--and learn to win like they did tonight. And that's why the best lineup at present is imo Ionescu, Hebard, Sabally, and some combination of Moore, Chavez, and Shelly. That's the one that broke this game open and was also responsible for the 2nd half showing at Arizona. Boley may continue to start, but this is the lineup that I believe Oregon will have to rely on going forward.
Iwas at the game and never was worried. I do agree the team is different with Moore vs Cazorla from last year. Boley doesn't fit as well as she did last year. I always liked Chavez and flet they missed her when she was hurt last year in the PAC12 toruney and NCAA tourney and Shelley is a very good addition. I think will know after next wek Civil War games how good we really are. I also thi nk the Beaver will beat Stanford and I''l be atthat game Sunday.

Reaction Score
“We had some young players out there that saw up close and personal the best player in college basketball right now, Sabrina Ionescu,” VanDerveer said. “She did a great job.”

Reaction Score
Ionescu 3 points away from school career scoring record. Is there any record at Oregon she won't own by the time she's done? (well, probably won't be the rebounding leader)
Field goal percentage. Hebard should have a lock on that one.

Reaction Score
I think Rebecca made a point in calling this game that experience was very important. She talked about the youth of Stanford versus the experience of Oregon.

Part of the success ASU had in taking down Oregon a week ago was the experience the Devils have in the backcourt. Our senior guards were particularly effective at ball denial and taking away the pick-and-roll. After Oregon's Ruthie H. get three consecutive layups to open the game on the pick-and-roll that was essentially denied for the rest of the game.

Experience is invaluable when adjusting in game.

On the subject of announcing I think both Sue Bird and Rebecca Lobo are very impressive. On the halftime show Andy Landers made some snarky reference the Oregon beating the Olympic team. This was in discussing the role that Minyon Moore plays and the comment that laying off Moore was the route to go due to her poor outside shooting.

Sue was first of all very gracious to Andy ignoring the snark but more importantly maybe observation that while the Olympic team perhaps spent too much defensive energy on Moore it's a pick your poison decision. Essentially she was trying to not run down Moore which I found very classy.

Also classy was the way that Moore and ASU's Tapley handled their transfer from USC. Moore said she was looking for a change of scenery. Rebecca had a great quip when she asked how many people leave Southern Cal for a change of scenery. Tapley talked about wanting to be a part of a more family-type atmosphere.

Rebecca it's my favorite WBB announcer. Loved watching and listening to the games where she's paired with Holly Rowe on the sidelines.

Really enjoyed this game glad ESPN featured two Pac-12 powerhouses. The rematch will be interesting heh?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
@azfan did you catch the quip from somebody wondering if Landers could turn Sue into a two syllable word?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Field goal percentage. Hebard should have a lock on that one.

I'm assuming Jillian Alleyne is their all time leading rebounder. I was a bit surprised to find out she wasn't their leading scorer as well.

Okay, looked at their record books. Alleyne is the leader in rebounds by a healthy margin. She's next behind Lang in scoring. Lang is the current FG% leader at .590, Hebard is going to SHATTER that. She's at .645 currently.

I have to admit I was not following women's hoops in the early 80s. The sport didn't get much of any exposure back then. Even though I grew up near Portland I have to admit I'm completely unfamiliar w/ Alison Lang. She had quite a career, she's all over the UO record books.

Reaction Score
Sabrina in the post-game presser said they played mad. Both she and Graves said they consider Stanford to be the standard of excellence - that's the team they really want to beat, so no problem getting up and staying up. Sabrina said that when Diana Taurasi came to talk to them (when the USA team visited) she told them to stay mad the whole game and don't let up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom