18. Gonzaga (6-1)(+4)
  19. Michigan State (6-1)(+4)
  20. Arizona (7-0)(+4)
  21. Miami (5-2)(-2)
  22. Missouri State (7-1)(NR)
  23. Arkansas (7-1)(+2)
  24. Michigan (6-1)(NR)
  25. LSU (7-1)(NR)
Receiving votes: Syracuse, Florida Gulf Coast, South Dakota, West Virginia, Minnesota, Notre Dame, North Carolina, Rutgers, Northwestern, Purdue, Colorado, Creighton, TCU, Drake.

Reaction Score
Proving Geno right when he says they get no respect No they have yet to play a top 10 team. They have them on the schedule. Most teams this time of year haven't. When you play one and lose I would expect you to do a significant drop. But when all is considered it means nothing this early except pride and incentive. Winning your last game is what really matters.

Reaction Score
For those who wonder what I would have ranked them - 3rd or 4th depending on where you want Oregon State. I believe Oregon should be 5th. Top 5 undefeated teams should be ranked ahead of teams with a loss. Does not mean any undefeated team just ones already deemed top 5-6 worthy.

Reaction Score
No they have yet to play a top 10 team. They have them on the schedule. Most teams this time of year haven't.
Not only has UConn not played a top-10 team, but not yet a top-25 caliber team. DePaul is the lone top-25 team on December’s schedule. Our January and February schedule will feel like a Pac-12 team’s conference schedule. We’ll get #7, #3, #6, and #17, so a little bit weaker than a team that would see #1, #3, #5, and #11. UConn’s schedule looks much weaker than it did a week ago, when opponents were ranked #1, #2, and #5.

UConn and Oregon State are the lone two top-10 teams who have not faced a top-10 opponent.

Reaction Score
I'll start worrying about UConn's national ranking just before the start of the big tournament............................frankly I prefer them hanging out in the shadows for the great majority of the regular season.............;)

Reaction Score
This is my Top 25:

1) Oregon
2) Stanford
3) Louisville
4) South Carolina
5) Baylor
6) Florida State
7) Connecticut
8) Oregon State
9) Mississippi State
10) Indiana
11) Maryland
12) Texas A&M
13) NC State
14) Tennessee
15) UCLA
16) Gonzaga
17) DePaul
18) Missouri State
19) Princeton
20) South Dakota
21) Florida Gulf Coast
22) Syracuse
23) Arizona
24) LSU
25) Northwestern

Reaction Score
Just think that Oregon, though they lost, are the best team around, and Louisville needs to prove it can do it again.

Stanford has earned at least the #2. Indeed, South Carolina, Baylor and Florida State have all earned higher rankings than UConn. UConn (#7 in my book) lost two All-Americans and replaced them with a moderately regarded freshman, and a European who has been misfiring on the court. And after a half dozen desultory efforts against middling opponents, we just have not earned a higher rank. Florida State, with their takedown of Texas A&M and Chennedy Carter, earned their #6 ranking, ahead of so far untested UConn.

The interesting part is the lower half. With one loss on the season, and by just a bucket to DePaul, I have Northwestern ranked #25. And with a strong 6'5" post player from the Constitution State, they have to be taken seriously. LSU has been strong. And Florida Gulf Coast has earned a ranking as well, as has Princeton. Normally an Ivy would be viewed askance, but with Bella Alarie, they're for real. Gonzaga has proved itself so far, and Tennessee not only has height and talent, but a new coach. Not saying it will all be beer and skittles for them, but they're performing like a team that's putting their sordid past behind them.

We could see a lot of movement, but that's my two cents.

Reaction Score
For those who wonder what I would have ranked them - 3rd or 4th depending on where you want Oregon State. I believe Oregon should be 5th. Top 5 undefeated teams should be ranked ahead of teams with a loss. Does not mean any undefeated team just ones already deemed top 5-6 worthy.
Agree, I think Oregon State and UConn are 3 and 4; pickum, but in my mind number 1 is Louisville. UL beat number one and is undefeated!

Reaction Score
This is my Top 25:

1) Oregon
2) Stanford
3) Louisville
4) South Carolina
5) Baylor
6) Florida State
7) Connecticut
8) Oregon State
9) Mississippi State
10) Indiana
11) Maryland
12) Texas A&M
13) NC State
14) Tennessee
15) UCLA
16) Gonzaga
17) DePaul
18) Missouri State
19) Princeton
20) South Dakota
21) Florida Gulf Coast
22) Syracuse
23) Arizona
24) LSU
25) Northwestern
My top 15 is very close to your TOP 15.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Ah...... now comes the proverbial sit and watch and relax game until Jan 9 - Baylor vs UConn. and Jan 20 - South Carolina vs Mississippi State.

Don't see those 4 teams losing until those games. They have some top 25 opponents, but I don't think they have an opponent strong enough to beat the talent and A game that those 4 will employ if needed.

Every one else in the top 10 I think will have one more loss before.

Reaction Score
When was the last time Stanford was #1 in the polls? I know they have not won the tournament in more than 25 years. Just curious.

I know BY'ers know!:)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
As I recall, Odyssey Sims was hurt at that time and did not play in that game.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
How do you drop from fourth to seventh if you're winning? Has it been smooth all the time? No. However, they are working hard and won their last game without their leader.
The name alone got them fourth place which maybe has not yet been earned. The AP writers have been deferential from their first vote.

Reaction Score
See coach it's right there we're number four! You said in practice we shouldn't even be ranked!
1575332404694.png

Reaction Score
As I recall, Odyssey Sims was hurt at that time and did not play in that game.

I had forgotten this tidbit. Sims was injured just five minutes into the game against the mighty Card. At least the unexpected win over UConn in 2015 wasn’t due to injury. :D

I think that Stanford‘s health will be key to the rest of their season. Can Carrington and Dodson get healthy and play solid minutes? Williams may have gotten hurt in the last game, and Fingall is still not fully healthy. Pretty remarkable to be standing at #1 considering the adversity Stanford has had so far.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Proving Geno right when he says they get no respect No they have yet to play a top 10 team. They have them on the schedule. Most teams this time of year haven't. When you play one and lose I would expect you to do a significant drop. But when all is considered it means nothing this early except pride and incentive. Winning your last game is what really matters.

What has UCONN done though to deserve being ranked higher? They've struggled against some mediocre competition like Cal, Ohio State, and Vanderbilt and don't have any quality wins. It'd be one thing if they were stomping competition by 30+ most nights like we've seen in past teams, but they've won three games by 11-13 points and three blowouts by 29+.

And most teams have played ranked foes at this point in the season. Not ripping on UCONN since they obviously schedule tough, but their schedule to start the year hasn't been the most challenging while other teams are playing better and should be rewarded for winning big games, especially when UCONN hasn't looked that great.

Louisville at this juncture absolutely should be ahead of UCONN based on their impressive win over Oregon. Stanford hasn't looked very strong but they're undefeated and just beat a top 10 team. They also have a win against Syracuse (#26) and Gonzaga (#18). That's more than UCONN has proven at this point. I'd argue the rankings should be:

1. Louisville (beat #1 Oregon)
2. Stanford (2 ranked wins, plus a win over top vote getting unranked team)
3. Oregon State (2 good wins over ranked foes)
4. Connecticut (hasn't played anyone yet who has received votes in top 25)
5. Oregon (lost to Louisville, beat Syracuse who is top vote getting unranked team)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Louisville needs to prove they can do it again? Why? How about Oregon proving they can be Louisville once?
I concur! To me, Baylor was penalized too severely as they are missing Cox whereas Oregon was at full strength. Stanford should enjoy it while it last because it won’t be long. I have seen 3 of their games and while they did beat #10 MSU, that’s it and were not playing well against lesser teams. I will say They are missing Dodson who is a solid contributor. I just found them underwhelming for such a talented team. UConn gets a chance to gain ground with all the top teams on the schedule so I dare say to @Charliebball they will not be hanging in the shadows for any part of the season. ND, Oregon, DePaul, SC, Baylor and dreaded Tenn will have this team in front of all eyes.

Reaction Score
I concur! To me, Baylor was penalized too severely as they are missing Cox whereas Oregon was at full strength. Stanford should enjoy it while it last because it won’t be long. I have seen 3 of their games and while they did beat #10 MSU, that’s it and were not playing well against lesser teams. I will say They are missing Dodson who is a solid contributor. I just found them underwhelming for such a talented team. UConn gets a chance to gain ground with all the top teams on the schedule so I dare say to @Charliebball they will not be hanging in the shadows for any part of the season. ND, Oregon, DePaul, SC, Baylor and dreaded Tenn will have this team in front of all eyes.

yes kind of hard for UConn to hide but the AAC regular season has a tendency to underwhelm the powers that be and that's OK by me......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom