Staley vs Walz | The Boneyard

Staley vs Walz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think I know who wins the recruiting battle, but who wins the coaching war? Is it possible for Walz to out coach Staley and advance to the NC game? What say you?

Reaction Score
Surprisingly there is only one meeting during the Staley era.

Carolina beat Louisville by 24 in its Championship year in the Coaches vs Cancer maybe? Some arranged neutral court game.

South Carolina leads the overall series 17-4 dating back to the Gamecocks' dominance of the Metro.

Reaction Score
I think we have to be able to contain Van Lith and get thru their press. The team that consistently bothered them this year was Miami - and Miami is big and strong like we are. i think our bigs against theirs - AB, V, Kamilla and LA is the difference on the boards. Still think the score will be low, like 65-60, but that’s what I see.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but Jeff has been able to pull off more than 1 major upset in his career and given the time, can scheme with anyone. I like this Louisville vs. SC game much better than any other option that could have occurred on that side of the bracket (ie Baylor, Michigan, Iowa) as the Cards can play defense and can shoot. So, to me, it's Louisville's shooting vs. SC's rebounding....

Reaction Score
1000000000000000000000000000% Dawn wins the coaching battle.
Yeah, and Louisville is the most overrated team since day one. Dawn is a great coach but she is human too. She has one Natty over Jeff, but they have been at their respective programs about the same amount of time and their Sweet Sixteen, Elite 8 and Final Four appearances are almost identical. OBTW, USA basketball loves them both.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Yeah, and Louisville is the most overrated team since day one. Dawn is a great coach but she is human too. She has one Natty over Jeff, but they have been at their respective programs about the same amount of time and their Sweet Sixteen, Elite 8 and Final Four appearances are almost identical. OBTW, USA basketball loves them both.
Great is overused.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but I think Walz has generally achieved about as much as his talent allowed him to achieved in his career.

I think the criticism of his coaching is largely just the run of the mill disrespect the boneyard likes to throw at the rest of the coaches in the country.

I'm not sure this is an especially talented version of his Louisville squad but they've been really good again.

More than good enough to have two good nights against a vulnerable field.

Reaction Score
I got my money on Coach Staley being able to out coach Coach Walz. Coach Staley does a decent job of coaching situational plays and making game to game adjustments. Her ATO (after time out) play calls are underrated. Both are awesome coaches and their programs reflect that. Can not go wrong with either one but I am picking Coach Staley.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Staley is a better coach overall, Walz a better gameplanner. I think SC wins this but it'll be competitive. If Hailey Van Lith goes off and Cooke is MIA or takes a lot of shots for a poor percentage, Louisville can win this.

Reaction Score
“I think the criticism of his coaching is largely just the run of the mill disrespect the boneyard likes to throw at the rest of the coaches in the country.”
WTH? Say it ain’t so BYrs! GCF77 can’t not be correct!

Reaction Score
I think I know who wins the recruiting battle, but who wins the coaching war? Is it possible for Walz to out coach Staley and advance to the NC game? What say you?
Does SC look well coached to you? I don’t think so. Does SC look talented. I think so.
Walz by a mile is better in game and preparation.
Staley one of best recruiters but I wouldn’t even consider her as my coach if talent was equal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but I think Walz has generally achieved about as much as his talent allowed him to achieved in his career.

I think the criticism of his coaching is largely just the run of the mill disrespect the boneyard likes to throw at the rest of the coaches in the country.

I'm not sure this is an especially talented version of his Louisville squad but they've been really good again.

More than good enough to have two good nights against a vulnerable field.
L’ville is rarely that talented. The Hines Allen / Durr combo Durr’s Jr year was L’ville most talented team. Walz recruits hard but doesn’t land that top 10 recruit often. Durr#2 , Evans#9 Shoni#8, Hailey Van Lith #8 and Bria Smith #7 but she was part of an extremely weak class

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And UConn barely escaped theirs to a 7 seed. Does that mean Geno cant coach either? They won 52-47. What’s wrong with that high powered UConn offense? SC won 69-61 over the 5 seed UNC. So what’s the difference here? We may not win but it won’t be because Dawn can’t coach. Keep telling yourself that though.

Reaction Score
If Hailey Van Lith can explode like Deja Kelly AND also get some help from multiple perimeter shooters (unlike Kelly), I think Louisville could actually win this.

Reaction Score
And UConn barely escaped theirs to a 7 seed. Does that mean Geno cant coach either? They won 52-47. What’s wrong with that high powered UConn offense? SC won 69-61 over the 5 seed UNC. So what’s the difference here? We may not win but it won’t be because Dawn can’t coach. Keep telling yourself that though.

Don’t argue everything will handle itself this weekend and the doubters will be proven wrong. I mean who in the hell can go 11-0 against top 25 competition beat Tara, Geno, and Kim and take their team to the Final Four with a 33-2 record and still be considered a second fiddle coach?? Lmaoooo I really get a good laugh out of some of these posts.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Louisville can’t win. I absolutely think they can. I guarantee the SC players aren’t looking past them. But Dawn can’t coach? :confused:

Reaction Score
I don’t think Louisville can’t win. I absolutely think they can. I guarantee the SC players aren’t looking past them. But Dawn can’t coach? :confused:
I don't read anywhere in the Huskiefan23 post where he asserts that Dawn "can't coach." He says Dawn is beatable and adds hat Geno is too.

You should be addressing Basket.

Reaction Score
Staley is a better coach overall, Walz a better gameplanner. I think SC wins this but it'll be competitive. If Hailey Van Lith goes off and Cooke is MIA or takes a lot of shots for a poor percentage, Louisville can win this.
I think SC shuts down Hailey Van Lith.

Reaction Score
Does SC look well coached to you? I don’t think so. Does SC look talented. I think so.
Walz by a mile is better in game and preparation.
Staley one of best recruiters but I wouldn’t even consider her as my coach if talent was equal.
thanks for amusing us, Walz got outcoached 100000% by Dawn

Reaction Score
Welp.. Guess we know the answer to this question now. Great game to Louisville. Very tough team. Thrilled for our girls, though. On to the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom