Staley A Match For Trailblazers? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Staley A Match For Trailblazers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That was exactly my point. This is the BY a UCONN fan forum stop asking for concrete things like "proof".
You are not going to "universal" love for Dawn on a UCONN board because Dawn actually built a program that can compete with UCONN on the court and for top recruits. :eek: Dawn should have just stayed at Temple and made a career out of that.

hqdefault-jpg.79997

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
But this actually proves nothing. If I had a guess, this was done by the athletic department and not a mandate by Staley. Unless you have proof that Staley wanted that banner up, I'm still waiting for evidence that she has a big ego. I am not saying she doesn't - I really don't know. She doesn't strike me as someone who has a big ego, but again, I don't know her.
Please, if you think for a minute that Dawn had no knowledge of this banner and did not have the veto power to hang or not to hang it we live in alternate realities. Yes she has an ego, why not we all do to an extent. She gets the job done, USC loves her, for all the reasons she is loved by them she is demonized by Husky Nation. She is one of our biggest villain's, which just helps prove how good she is. We had Pat, Ms. Muffit and now we have Dawn, dirty rotten and underhanded all. A badge of honor for sure.
For all our SC friends, if you are looking for warm and fuzzies here, don't hold your breath. All the posts prove you grudgingly have our respect don't look for hand holding, wistful glances or midnight calls in the dark. What we have and give you is the next great WCBB rivalry. :cool:

Reaction Score
But this actually proves nothing. If I had a guess, this was done by the athletic department and not a mandate by Staley. Unless you have proof that Staley wanted that banner up, I'm still waiting for evidence that she has a big ego. I am not saying she doesn't - I really don't know. She doesn't strike me as someone who has a big ego, but again, I don't know her.
As a Gamecock fan, I cam assure you that Dawn wanted it. She proclaimed that we deserved the Championship. Heck, she probably wanted the banner to say "National Champions" but was curbed on that by the administration. My only problem was that the banner should have the names of our two senior leaders from that year's team.

As they purportedly say in Hollywood: "I don’t care what you say about me as long as you spell my name right."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thank you!!! I’m surprised we’re still talking about Dawn and whatever ego she may have. l’ve been thinking about some of the pushback some of our visitors have posted.

I agree 1000% with Coco in that this is the Boneyard!! It’s a forum for UConn fans!! We are on OUR forum talking to other UConns fans.

Sure, fans from other programs are welcome here, a lot more than they are on some other boards (Notre Dame and Tennessee for example). It must be understood that we have our opinions and don’t need the approval or sanctions from visitors to post or express them. We're ALL grown "mature" adults here. We're not young impressionable adolescents still trying to find our way in the world. We are not trolling any other team’s board with our takes. We are are OUR board. We can share/express our thoughts and concerns without having to provide proof to visitors!
Any visitor that finds this objectionable has options, and should know what they are.

This "Dawn" debate will never find a happy medium or ending. I like and respect Dawn and what she’s doing at SC. I have NEVER considered her an adversary. I've also back off my my original take that she has an over inflated ego. Dawn is OK. Some of the other takes about coache's egos make sense.

The only two coaches I've every had a problem with are no longer coaching. I say lock this thread now, and let’s all move on. There are so many other story lines that we can discuss and debate. Things are are current and relevant. Enough all ready. This Dawn talk is giving me a headache. :mad: I'm following my own advice, and ignoring this thread as of now. I'll see you all on another thread. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thank you!!! I’m surprised we’re still talking about Dawn and whatever ego she may have. l’ve been thinking about some of the pushback some of our visitors have posted.

I agree 1000% with Coco in that this is the Boneyard!! It’s a forum for UConn fans!! We are on OUR forum talking to other UConns fans.

Sure, fans from other programs are welcome here, a lot more than they are on some other boards (Notre Dame and Tennessee for example). It must be understood that we have our opinions and don’t need the approval or sanctions from visitors to post or express them. We're ALL grown "mature" adults here. We're not young impressionable adolescents still trying to find our way in the world. We are not trolling any other team’s board with our takes. We are are OUR board. We can share/express our thoughts and concerns without having to provide proof to visitors!
Any visitor that finds this objectionable has options, and should know what they are.

This "Dawn" debate will never find a happy medium or ending. I like and respect Dawn and what she’s doing at SC. I have NEVER considered her an adversary. I've also back off my my original take that she has an over inflated ego. Dawn is OK. Some of the other takes about coache's egos make sense.

The only two coaches I've every had a problem with are no longer coaching. I say lock this thread now, and let’s all move on. There are so many other story lines that we can discuss and debate. Things are are current and relevant. Enough all ready. This Dawn talk is giving me a headache. :mad: I'm following my own advice, and ignoring this thread as of now. I'll see you all on another thread. :)
Nicely stated, Carnac. I’ll also add that all great coaches have egos,some a little bit more than others. But in the end, it’s all great for WCBB.

Reaction Score
Nicely stated, Carnac. I’ll also add that all great coaches have egos,some a little bit more than others. But in the end, it’s all great for WCBB.
With Kim off to LSU, South Carolina is the only rival left for UConn. Used to play Baylor, Stanford, South Carolina, Notre Dame when Stewie, Mo, and Tuck were there.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
:mad:
With Kim off to LSU, South Carolina is the only rival left for UConn. Used to play Baylor, Stanford, South Carolina, Notre Dame when Stewie, Mo, and Tuck were there.
I want UConn to challenge the best teams of the day every year no matter who they or who is coaching them. If you want to be the best, you’ve got to play the best. All comers are welcome. # nodaysoff.

Reaction Score
:mad:

I want UConn to challenge the best teams of the day every year no matter who they or who is coaching them. If you want to be the best, you’ve got to play the best. All comers are welcome. # nodaysoff.
Thought u were ignoring this thread but yet here you are:confused::rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: Not so fast!
1) Vic is now in Texas- we owe him a spanking from his Mississippi State days.
2) ND is trying to climb to mediocrity in the ACC-we might as well kick them while they are down.
3) Duke now has Lexi Gordon and Kara Lawson might be for a very short wind let's storm Cameron while we still have time.
4) TN has played UCONN way too close for my liking-lets kill their joy quickly.
5) Tara is still ahead of Geno in total wins- lets narrow the gap by beating the defending national Champions
6) Iowa-Kaitlyn Clark can ball I'm not gonna lie but we got Paige-might as well give Paige a stage because the BY will forever be comparing these two.
7) Arizona- some of our most loyal UCONN fans live out in the dessert let's get them a home game-REVENGE-no middle finger though.
8) Arkansas- we owe them one.
9) Seton Hall- As long as AEH has eligibility-shouldn't be more than a 1/2 decade left for her by now.
10) Anyone in the Big East- Here is a reasonably achievable goal- UCONN WBB can go a full decade 2014-2024 without losing a conference game.
11) Maryland is leading the nation in scoring- just the kind of challenge UCONN needs.
13) Georgia because ONO needs a home coming game.
14) Oregon-we owe them one.
15) Rutgers-C Vivian Stringer is not going to be around much longer let's sent her out in style.
16)o Boston College- for conspiring to keep UCONN out of the ACC
17) Syracuse-for Q not giving Stewie that homecoming game because he was CHICKEN

Don't think of it as rivalries think of it as "settling all family business!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
:eek: Not so fast!
1) Vic is now in Texas- we owe him a spanking from his Mississippi State days.
2) ND is trying to climb to mediocrity in the ACC-we might as well kick them while they are down.
3) Duke now has Lexi Gordon and Kara Lawson might be for a very short wind let's storm Cameron while we still have time.
4) TN has played UCONN way too close for my liking-lets kill their joy quickly.
5) Tara is still ahead of Geno in total wins- lets narrow the gap by beating the defending national Champions
6) Iowa-Kaitlyn Clark can ball I'm not gonna lie but we got Paige-might as well give Paige a stage because the BY will forever be comparing these two.
7) Arizona- some of our most loyal UCONN fans live out in the dessert let's get them a home game-REVENGE-no middle finger though.
8) Arkansas- we owe them one.
9) Seton Hall- As long as AEH has eligibility-shouldn't be more than a 1/2 decade left for her by now.
10) Anyone in the Big East- Here is a reasonably achievable goal- UCONN WBB can go a full decade 2014-2024 without losing a conference game.
11) Maryland is leading the nation in scoring- just the kind of challenge UCONN needs.
13) Georgia because ONO needs a home coming game.
14) Oregon-we owe them one.
15) Rutgers-C Vivian Stringer is not going to be around much longer let's sent her out in style.
16)o Boston College- for conspiring to keep UCONN out of the ACC
17) Syracuse-for Q not giving Stewie that homecoming game because he was CHICKEN

Don't think of it as rivalries think of it as "settling all family business!

Mr. Coco:
Professor Muffet McGraw on the line: would like to discuss item #2. ;)

Reaction Score
Try using google.

OK, so I watched the video. Did you??

We're on different pages when we talk about EGO. Ego is NOT what is openly displayed outward to others. Ego is what a person thinks of HIMSELF. Ego is Latin for "I". It is what I think of MYSELF, NOT what I want YOU to think of ME as.

So you can have a guy who goes out to the street and shouts as loud as he can how good of WHATEVER he thinks he is, for all to hear. And you can have another guy who just BELIEVES THIS to himself in a room by himself with the doors closed and the windows shut, and the lights turned off.

And the one guy by himself has JUST AS MUCH EGO as the other guy proclaiming it to his neighbors. One may be a degree UGLIER about it, but now that's not the same thing, is it? That's what YOU'RE on about. But I'm talking about EGO. An UNCHECKED Ego and a CHECKED Ego is NOT the same as an Ego and NOT an Ego.

So lets take Coach Medlin here. Sure, people can portray themselves as blessed lucky, had the world drop in my lap personalities all the time. But that's an outright projection. That's humility. One CAN have a strong EGO and be HUMBLE at the same time. They are not incompatible.

So this coach has had championship success in Roman-Greco wrestling. He has had a short traverse to where he is now - a high school coach to a college coach - a total of two programs. Watching the video, he is very humble and appreciative of all the success he has had, and he should be.

But while he sits in that video going all "golly gee, aww shucks so blessed so lucky", do you honestly think in an office with the door shut interviewing for the job promotions and hirings that he's gotten, that he induces the athletic director to shake his hand with a bunch of "aww golly gee whiz's"???? Do you think that's REALLY how this man got to be where he is today in his coaching profession? Really?

No. He has great confidence that he knows how to get it done, and that confidence DOES come through in this video. Some people do it by sticking their chests and jaws out and shouting it to the masses, others quietly calmly present it like it's a religeous faith. He would tell that interviewer that he's the man for the job, that he can bring success to the program should they choose to hire him.

Oh look. What was that???

Yep. That's a healthy EGO that man has, isn't it???

Reaction Score
I believe the rumor or her being a candidate for Portland came from sources that were suspect like the Kamilla Cardoso rumor to UCONN.
The Blazers to my knowledge never mentioned officially she was a serious candidate…,I do hope the NBA are really serious when they mention female candidates for NBA head coaching jobs. Not just playing to the crowd.
Dawn has recently stepped up her recruiting progress to top top level….I believe she has marketed herself and her program to top level….SC fans are totally behind her and her program thus having the highest attendance in Women’s Basketball
In this social media era we live in, she wears Louis Vuitton…Chanel Fendi Gucci etc and it appeals to the recruitment of certain type of top players that like that.
Having said all that somehow I am not convinced something about her to me does not come across to my liking something fake something not KOSHER…

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mr. Coco:
Professor Muffet McGraw on the line: would like to discuss item #2. ;)

Professor McGraw has retired.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK, so I watched the video. Did you??

We're on different pages when we talk about EGO. Ego is NOT what is openly displayed outward to others. Ego is what a person thinks of HIMSELF. Ego is Latin for "I". It is what I think of MYSELF, NOT what I want YOU to think of ME as.

So you can have a guy who goes out to the street and shouts as loud as he can how good of WHATEVER he thinks he is, for all to hear. And you can have another guy who just BELIEVES THIS to himself in a room by himself with the doors closed and the windows shut, and the lights turned off.

And the one guy by himself has JUST AS MUCH EGO as the other guy proclaiming it to his neighbors. One may be a degree UGLIER about it, but now that's not the same thing, is it? That's what YOU'RE on about. But I'm talking about EGO. An UNCHECKED Ego and a CHECKED Ego is NOT the same as an Ego and NOT an Ego.

So lets take Coach Medlin here. Sure, people can portray themselves as blessed lucky, had the world drop in my lap personalities all the time. But that's an outright projection. That's humility. One CAN have a strong EGO and be HUMBLE at the same time. They are not incompatible.

So this coach has had championship success in Roman-Greco wrestling. He has had a short traverse to where he is now - a high school coach to a college coach - a total of two programs. Watching the video, he is very humble and appreciative of all the success he has had, and he should be.

But while he sits in that video going all "golly gee, aww shucks so blessed so lucky", do you honestly think in an office with the door shut interviewing for the job promotions and hirings that he's gotten, that he induces the athletic director to shake his hand with a bunch of "aww golly gee whiz's"???? Do you think that's REALLY how this man got to be where he is today in his coaching profession? Really?

No. He has great confidence that he knows how to get it done, and that confidence DOES come through in this video. Some people do it by sticking their chests and jaws out and shouting it to the masses, others quietly calmly present it like it's a religeous faith. He would tell that interviewer that he's the man for the job, that he can bring success to the program should they choose to hire him.

Oh look. What was that???

Yep. That's a healthy EGO that man has, isn't it???
I couldn't help notice the contradiction between your 3rd sentence and your last sentence. According to your third sentence " Ego is NOT what is openly displayed outward to others." Your last sentence concludes that this coach displays a healthy ego. A conclusion I'm assuming you drew from watching a video? I still disagree with your contention that there are no egoless coaches or players and perhaps John Wooden and Tim Duncan might have been better examples.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Professor McGraw has retired.

Yes, but doesn’t she have “emeritus” status at ND?

Sorry folks: a point of information that you probably don't know (or care) about: former ND Coach McGraw is now teaching an undergrad-level course for the Mendoza School of Business at the University of Notre Dame. (hence, the professor labeling on my part). It's on leadership. So, she has gone from running practices to running a classroom. She's quite active in that respect! ;)

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sorry folks: a point of information that you probably don't know (or care) about: former ND CoachMcGraw is now teaching an undergrad-level course for the Mendoza School of Business at the University of Notre Dame. So, she has gone from running practices to running a classroom. She's quite active in that respect! ;)
Is it a class on “Marketing & Public Relations?”

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I believe the rumor or her being a candidate for Portland came from sources that were suspect like the Kamilla Cardoso rumor to UCONN.
The Blazers to my knowledge never mentioned officially she was a serious candidate…,I do hope the NBA are really serious when they mention female candidates for NBA head coaching jobs. Not just playing to the crowd.
Dawn has recently stepped up her recruiting progress to top top level….I believe she has marketed herself and her program to top level….SC fans are totally behind her and her program thus having the highest attendance in Women’s Basketball
In this social media era we live in, she wears Louis Vuitton…Chanel Fendi Gucci etc and it appeals to the recruitment of certain type of top players that like that.
Having said all that somehow I am not convinced something about her to me does not come across to my liking something fake something not KOSHER…
The rumor of Dawn to the Blazers originated from a very reliable publication-The Athletic with sources in NBA circles of which you claim to be formerly affiliated. The rumor of Cardoso to UCONN or Auburn came from a tweet from some organization called World Basketball Exposure. Had you ever heard of this organization before?
Dawn was rocking Louis Vuitton Chanel, Fendi, Gucci and Prada long before she got to SC and not the the knockoffs either just the genuine articles. Dawn also promotes some local designers and stylist that were local to Philly when she was at Temple. Dawn is also from Philly and very much like Geno she is an acquired taste and ALWAYS unvarnished. Stop stressing about what it is about Dawn you don't like because you really don't have to. I can see why 4 full decades of representing your sport, your country and inspiring young women would generate suspicion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry folks: a point of information that you probably don't know (or care) about: former ND CoachMcGraw is now teaching an undergrad-level course for the Mendoza School of Business at the University of Notre Dame. So, she has gone from running practices to running a classroom. She's quite active in that respect! ;)
:eek:. I recently read where Mendoza School of Business had fallen in the latest US News and World Reports rankings among business schools. Makes perfect sense now. :D

Dillon77

Reaction Score
:eek:. I recently read where Mendoza School of Business had fallen in the latest US News and World Reports rankings among business schools. Makes perfect sense now. :D
Touche. Or how about this: Sam Brunelle was the first current/former ND player in the class, and her drop in final HS rankings and/or scoring averages last year, dragged down overall rankings, as well! :rolleyes: ;)

BTW, she's teaching an undergrad course (but you probably knew that!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom