Staff wants Whaley hitting 3s... | The Boneyard

Staff wants Whaley hitting 3s...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

"Whaley has been a consistent presence, and Hurley hinted on Wednesday’s show that there’s even more to come — saying Whaley is a better shooter than people think and the staff wants him to hit 3s."

Gamechanger if true. Allows us to play more minutes with him at the 4 if needed. Even at the 5, that spacing is going to let our wings get to the rim--that's insurance for bad shooting nights. Also gonna help him get a humongous contract overseas.

Reaction Score

"Whaley has been a consistent presence, and Hurley hinted on Wednesday’s show that there’s even more to come — saying Whaley is a better shooter than people think and the staff wants him to hit 3s."

Gamechanger if true. Allows us to play more minutes with him at the 4 if needed. Even at the 5, that spacing is going to let our wings get to the rim--that's insurance for bad shooting nights.
Heard the same.. I give DH a lot of credit for being as encouraging as he appears to be for IW.. Kind of coach that kids want to play for.. Spacing potential for our offense would be great while he's on the floor if he can keep the defense honest away from the basket with an occasional three..

Reaction Score
I’ve always thought Whaley had decent touch on the mid-rangers he occasionally attempts (and often knocks down). And as others have said the one three he took against USC looked pretty good despite not falling. Definitely fine with him letting fly so long as it comes within the flow of the offense.

Some pick and fade could be lethal with the slashers we have (Bouk) that we know teams will key on and collapse to the paint in an effort to stop.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’ve always thought Whaley had decent touch on the mid-rangers he occasionally attempts (and often knocks down). And as others have said the one three he took against USC looked pretty good despite not falling. Definitely fine with him letting fly so long as it comes within the flow of the offense.

Some pick and fade could be lethal with the slashers we have (Bouk) that we know teams will key on and collapse to the paint in an effort to stop.

Moreso than the form of the jump shot, post players learning when to take the J is what usually takes more time. It's more natural for wings and guards to understand the where/when of the jump shot. Many post players need to learn you don't need to jack it up first time you touch the ball in a possession facing the basket.
But, yes, this would be lethal with the pick and roll.

Reaction Score
If IW can consistently hit threes he can be more than an overseas pro. He is already a superb defender, rebounder and rim protector. Adding a consistent 3 point shot makes him a very long 3 and D wing which every NBA team covets.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Feel like whaley jacking up bombs is the last thing we need lol.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

He does have nice form, it's always been a confidence thing with him. We may have to patient and go through a couple games where he misses a few badly. But in the long run this will bear a lot of fruit, both for him and us.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember at the open practice last year when he was our best shooter in the 3 point drills (by a lot too)?
Yeah for sure. After that practice I was shocked when he didn’t even attempt one all last season.

Reaction Score
He's going to need to take those shots, especially if he's getting minutes at the 4. It'll be a nice bonus if he's making them. If his defender has to respect the shot out to the 3 point line that starts to alleviate some of the spacing concerns with Whaley at the 4. Not all, but it's a start

Reaction Score
I thought his shooting form and the ball trajectory for the 3 that he took in the USC game looked great (even though it didn't drop). Have no issues with him taking 1-2 a game when the opportunity presents itself!
I had flashbacks from that time that Jeff Adrien got the ball at the three point line in a blowout. Had a wide open look, looked to Calhoun for a second, then took his shot, missed, and immediately got pulled from the game. But man that was a fun sequence.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
If Whaley can develop that shot it will definitely go a long way to helping our spacing issues, which is really been a huge issue with our offense over the past few years. I do not think they are saying he should be considered a 3 point shooter but if he can float out there and shoot up to 4 a game and knock them down defenses will not be able to sag to the middle to clog up our athletic players from driving the lane.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I like this. Even if he takes one a game, if he makes a few they will need to guard him out there. The more important shot in my opinion, for any 4, is the midrange/elbow jumper inside the 3 point line or at the FT line area. I always thought IW had that shot, which is why I kept saying he's more a 4 than a 5. He made a couple against USC. The whole need for PF shooting 3's as a requirement is so oversold.

Reaction Score
I had flashbacks from that time that Jeff Adrien got the ball at the three point line in a blowout. Had a wide open look, looked to Calhoun for a second, then took his shot, missed, and immediately got pulled from the game. But man that was a fun sequence.
Hahahaha I remember that! What a hilarious memory.

In all honestly, what would 2018 you think if you read the sentence "Hurley and staff want Whaley to be shooting more 3s"??? Its been said before a million times, but what a remarkable transformation.

Reaction Score
All about confidence and game flow.. Would be cool to see a play called for him sometime this year from long range...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom