Staff wants Whaley hitting 3s... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Staff wants Whaley hitting 3s...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hahahaha I remember that! What a hilarious memory.

In all honestly, what would 2018 you think if you read the sentence "Hurley and staff want Whaley to be shooting more 3s"??? Its been said before a million times, but what a remarkable transformation.
I'm sure it would be easy enough to find with <10 3 point attempts in his entire UConn career. Would love to watch that again but a bit too lazy right now.

Reaction Score
Favorite player to watch on the court. Maybe we'll get lucky and he sticks around for another year.
If DH and his prior coach recommend it, I think he will listen. He has been a good listener and compliant with coaching, and patient until his turn came.

Now, if he does make 2 or 3, 3's a game this year, who can blame him for leaving. And, who can fault an NBA coach for drafting him?

Reaction Score

"Whaley has been a consistent presence, and Hurley hinted on Wednesday’s show that there’s even more to come — saying Whaley is a better shooter than people think and the staff wants him to hit 3s."

Gamechanger if true. Allows us to play more minutes with him at the 4 if needed. Even at the 5, that spacing is going to let our wings get to the rim--that's insurance for bad shooting nights. Also gonna help him get a humongous contract overseas.
If he could consistently shoot the three
It’s certainly a game changer for us.
It also increases his earning potential at a professional level maybe even gets him drafted. He has some uniquely marketable skills impeded by his lack of shooting for a guy his size.

Reaction Score
Hahahaha I remember that! What a hilarious memory.

In all honestly, what would 2018 you think if you read the sentence "Hurley and staff want Whaley to be shooting more 3s"??? Its been said before a million times, but what a remarkable transformation.

Seems like my memory added the part about him looking to Calhoun before the shot. Still fun.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Whaley is going to end up being Dan Hurley's "Exhibit 1" to every kid he's recruiting as to why they should come to UConn.
Really, if you think about it, it's outrageous - bench warmer spot minutes to the most essential cog.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
IW with a 3 point shot is Kawhi Leonard.
And . . . it's gone.
And_It's_Gone.png

Reaction Score
I’m just happy to have actual basketball related content again!!!! Coming on here hoping to see updates the lady 10 days has been rough

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't want him jacking 'em up with a hand in his face but if his feet are set and his man is sloughing off, shoot! Especially if he's in the corner or straight up. And if he is being guarded out there, he's doing his job.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
What Hurley is looking to do here by publicly asking him to shoot threes is to open some lanes for Bouknight.

Reaction Score
First, I think that it great that the staff is encouraging players to constantly expand their game. It builds confidence and work ethic.

Second, if IW can hit an ocassional three it would help open the floor and improve spacing. Love to see it.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
What Hurley is looking to do here by publicly asking him to shoot threes is to open some lanes for Bouknight.
It’s also a signal to big man recruits, who will all want to have the ability to be allowed to shoot threes

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It’s also a signal to big man recruits, who will all want to have the ability to be allowed to shoot threes

Hopefully the big men recruits don't read it as come to UConn and you can launch 3's.

What has happened is master the tasks we need you to do as a 4/5 and then we can expand your game.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

"Whaley has been a consistent presence, and Hurley hinted on Wednesday’s show that there’s even more to come — saying Whaley is a better shooter than people think and the staff wants him to hit 3s."

Gamechanger if true. Allows us to play more minutes with him at the 4 if needed. Even at the 5, that spacing is going to let our wings get to the rim--that's insurance for bad shooting nights. Also gonna help him get a humongous contract overseas.
Absolutely. Even as a freshman I thought his form looked good, his release was high, and from angles he used the glass in ways that many don't, so he gets it. The 3 he took against USC looked like, "I know they want me to take this, but I haven't done this before, so here goes nothing." He'll get more confidence and will hit them when he knows it's in the flow of the offense and it's what the team wants.

Reaction Score
DH knows exactly what he's doing by suggesting IW take some of those shots.. Multiple benefits to the team.. IW has the skill set to potentially pull it off.. Has earned the right through his play.. Could evolve into a mismatch nightmare if successful..

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hopefully the big men recruits don't read it as come to UConn and you can launch 3's.
Talk about a half-empty take! I was thinking big men would see a place where you're encouraged to build your game, like pal said above. Kids see where the game is going, they don't want to play for a stick in the mud.

Reaction Score
For a second there I thought he was gonna get that 17ft (KG style) type of shot down but he just kept shooting bricks. Hopefully this year he gets that down before he starts jacking up 3’s

Reaction Score
SMH. Put down the crack pipe guys. After 86 games he is 0/1 in 3 pointers. That's 0%. On a single attempt. Again, Whaley should be benched if he shoots outside 8 feet. Do not drink the Kool-Aid. He is not a shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom