Staff Changes Needed | The Boneyard

Staff Changes Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The coaching has been a big problem for 2 years now.

KO deserves to coach his own recruits, and has at least 2 years beyond this one to prove he's the right guy long-term. But he will be on notice if this season continues the way it has, with two big disappointments in a row.

The rest of the staff needs a shake-up. This "all in the family" coaching staff is a cute look and maybe it fits the "family" storyline we pitch to recruits. But I'm not convinced the guys we have now add a G-D thing when it comes to
1) recruiting
2) player development
3) in-game tactics

Recruiting was a concern for some time, but KO -- essentially on his own -- seems to have righted the ship.

The bigs, plainly, have not significantly improved during KO's tenure. Because of the horrific recruiting, none of the bigs we have (Nolan, Facey, Brimah) were going to morph into Olajuwon. But after 3 or 4 years, we should have seen much more than we have.

It's become cliche to say it, but we need to bring in an assistant who can challenge, instill toughness in, and improve the skills of our bigs. We're not going to be recruiting the Jahlil Okafors and Karl-Anthony Townses of the world. If we can't develop bigs, our frontcourt will always be a weakness.

Whatever Glen Miller is supposed to be providing here, in terms of big-man coaching, game-planning, and strategy, it's not cutting it.

Karl Hobbs may be past his expiration date as well.

Reaction Score
The coaching has been a big problem for 2 years now.

KO deserves to coach his own recruits, and has at least 2 years beyond this one to prove he's the right guy long-term. But he will be on notice if this season continues the way it has, with two big disappointments in a row.

The rest of the staff needs a shake-up. This "all in the family" coaching staff is a cute look and maybe it fits the "family" storyline we pitch to recruits. But I'm not convinced the guys we have now add a G-D thing when it comes to
1) recruiting
2) player development
3) in-game tactics

Recruiting was a concern for some time, but KO -- essentially on his own -- seems to have righted the ship.

The bigs, plainly, have not significantly improved during KO's tenure. Because of the horrific recruiting, none of the bigs we have (Nolan, Facey, Brimah) were going to morph into Olajuwon. But after 3 or 4 years, we should have seen much more than we have.

It's become cliche to say it, but we need to bring in an assistant who can challenge, instill toughness in, and improve the skills of our bigs. We're not going to be recruiting the Jahlil Okafors and Karl-Anthony Townses of the world. If we can't develop bigs, our frontcourt will always be a weakness.

Whatever Glen Miller is supposed to be providing here, in terms of big-man coaching, game-planning, and strategy, it's not cutting it.

Karl Hobbs may be past his expiration date as well.
AMEN

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You can't fire Ollie or the players, so logically the only shake up can come with the staff.

The big man coaching is extremely painful to watch. Phil hasn't improved at all in four seasons.

Reaction Score
It would be so simple if a staff change was the obvious solution. Unfortunately, this post is 100% speculation. We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe a staff change would shake things up for the better, maybe not. But you are just guessing.

Reaction Score
The only way the staff changes is if one of them gets a head coaching job somewhere. I believe that KO is very loyal to his staff and is happy with who he has sitting next to him. I dont think any of the assistants are going anywhere to be a head coach. Im not saying that as a slam but thats just the feeling I get.

Reaction Score
We have no idea what Glen miller who is in KO's ear during the game is saying. I'm sure it's stuff like who is or isn't boxing out, rotating, covering their man well, poor shot selection, but at some point the guys on the floor have to run plays and make shots. At times we have a poor executing and shooting team with no bigs and one medium.

Reaction Score
I liked that one play where Nolan was just sprinting around at people and gave up an and one because he was clearly out of control. That's not how you play with 4 years of good coaching.

Reaction Score
I liked that one play where Nolan was just sprinting around at people and gave up an and one because he was clearly out of control. That's not how you play with 4 years of good coaching.

Nolan fell hard and the back of his head hit the floor, shook him up a little. He got up late and sprinted down the floor to catch up, got lost for a second, found someone who just happened to be shooting and tried to slow down but couldn't and subsequently fouled the person.

I can't find fault in that play as Nolan's head hit the floor kinda hard, and that ain't fun. Funny thing was is that he wan't trying to draw a charge, go figure.

His hustling and sprinting back was commendable but turned into a "which way did he go George?' cartoon moment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nolan fell hard and the back of his head hit the floor, shook him up a little. He got up late and sprinted down the floor to catch up, got lost for a second, found someone who just happened to be shooting and tried to slow down but couldn't and subsequently fouled the person.

I can't find fault in that play as Nolan head hit the floor kinda hard, and that ain't fun. Funny thing was is that he wan't trying to draw a charge, go figure.

His hustling and sprinting back was commendable but turned into a "which way did he go George?' cartoon moment.

Oh yea that was the same play wasn't it. He hit the floor real hard. My apologies. Cartoonish is right, he looked out of his mind.

Reaction Score
Listen, the 1999 team is always going to be my favorite team....but that being said, I haven't seen or heard much about how Ricky or Free are making the current players improve. Say what you will about Clyde Vaughan, but his work with our front court was spoken of highly and often. Leitao and Howie D as well. Maybe they're young and still finding their way, but I think you have to assume this coaching staff has a big hand in the lack of development in this team so far.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
So if we'd held onto a 12-point lead, would we still need a staff overhaul? If we were on a four-game winning streak, would you have posted this? If not, you are basing this on five minutes of game action. Which seems excessive.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
So if we'd held onto a 12-point lead, would we still need a staff overhaul? If we were on a four-game winning streak, would you have posted this? If not, you are basing this on five minutes of game action. Which seems excessive.
Those five minutes were a snapshot of all the problems this team has demonstrated in games the past 2 years. And we weren't up 12 because we were playing great, Temple just couldn't get a good look. If we were playing great the game would have been out of reach. How long was Temple stuck in the 30's, the first ten minutes of the second half? Then suddenly the dam broke.

Reaction Score

Is it the last 5 minutes of last night's game? When has the team, even back to last year, been consistent on both ends?

Reaction Score
You can't fire Ollie or the players, so logically the only shake up can come with the staff.

The big man coaching is extremely painful to watch. Phil hasn't improved at all in four seasons.

True. But how much of that is on the coaches as opposed to Phil's limited upside? Phil is a screen setter and solid defender. That's about it.

Reaction Score
Im not happy about last night, but i like our coaches. They are learning as well. I'm happy to let em' learn.
oh sure...we'll let em learn right into the AAC for another 10 years.

This team needs coaches who can coach now. So we can win these games against Temple. And other teams that should not be beating us twice a year. So we can get into a better conference. There is no more dilly-dallying around this subject. The time is now.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
oh sure...we'll let em learn right into the AAC for another 10 years.

This team needs coaches who can coach now. So we can win these games against Temple. And other teams that should not be beating us twice a year. So we can get into a better conference. There is no more dilly-dallying around this subject. The time is now.
Our on-court performance has not one thing to do with whether we stay in the AAC. We could sweep Duke or get swept by Rutgers and it would not move the needle.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Who are we aspiring to be again? Duke and Kentucky each have 6 losses this year. I don't want to be a 1 and done factory. In season drama made the runs in '11 and '14 special. Take your lumps.
Sure but we have 7 losses and counting ourselves. So basically our down years are even worse than theirs, actually I know for a fact our down years are even worse than theirs. The difference is when UConn is down, they almost completely disappear from the CBB discussion. Go to Reddit, ESPN or TOS board and UConn is discussed less that Dayton. This is why we can't afford to have two back to back season like this, because we lose valuable ground our program has fought hard for over the last 25 years.

Reaction Score
Is it the last 5 minutes of last night's game? When has the team, even back to last year, been consistent on both ends?

I'm betting there's plenty of examples of the team being consistently bad on both ends - but for some reason I'm thinking that's not what you're looking for.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The amount of lunacy posted on this board after a loss is disturbing. The board simply becomes unreadable.

So, you're content with our staff? You feel that we make good in game adjustments and that players are developing in their time here?

I'm not saying the world is over but to suggest a shake up isn't lunacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom