St. Mary's Nerd Preview | The Boneyard

St. Mary's Nerd Preview

Reaction Score
Courtesy of Hoop-Explorer (top 200 opponents)
stmarysteam.png

• Big and veteran team. They've whittled their rotation down to a top 6 for the tournament (I'm guessing they'll play 7 against us though for the backup big). 4 guys played 38+ minutes in the win over VCU.
  • St. Mary's plays a slow, methodical style on offense (compounded by offensive rebounds). They're only average in defensive possession length, though.
  • They are a very strong rebounding team, which should be the key matchup in the game. They're the #2 DReb team via KenPom, and we're #1 OReb. They're also a top 50 OReb team themselves (and we're decent defensively). They don't just have one strong rebounder, it's really defensive rebounding by committee.
  • We're known as a team that moves the ball really well on offense and prevents the opponent from doing so when on defense. St. Mary's is even better at preventing opponent assists, #3 in the country. They also employ the high hedge when defending PnR like we do.
  • They don't turn the ball over a ton and force a bit above average quantity on defense.
  • They're balanced in how they score their points, around D1 average in percentage of their points coming from the paint, the arc, and the line, although slightly less often from the line against good teams. Similar to us, they eschew the midrange in favor of taking 86% of their shots at the rim and behind the 3-point arc. They shoot a good % from 3, including 3 starters near 40%, and fairly poor from the paint, where none of their 5 starters are particularly strong finishers. But they do get the ball into the paint a lot.
  • Similar to us, they do a good job of denying 3-point attempts to opponents and they really protect the paint well.

stmarysplayers.png

Logan Johnson - Combo Guard - 5th year, played 1 year at Cincinnati against us in the AAC (only played 10 min combined between the 2 games). Their best player by RAPM, but defense is where he hangs his hat (12th best defender in the country). Athletic and closest thing to a PG that they have. Brother Tyler plays in the NBA. Gets downhill and to the rim at a high rate. Struggles to score on floaters and other midrange shots, so need to focus on keeping him from getting all the way from the rim. Draws a decent amount of fouls. Careful with the ball for a playmaker. Their only starting guard or wing who can't shoot, so could also consider giving him the old intentional late closeout.

Aidan Mahaney - Combo Guard - True freshman, low 4*. Public HS Local kid from same city as the college (A lot of Clingan vibes). Their best offensive guard and highest usage rate player. He's the only guy that will really create his own shot in the midrange or off the dribble from 3. Pulls up instead of drawing contact. Frailest and weakest defender among the starters by far. Sharpshooter from deep.

Alex Ducas - Wing Guard - 4th year from Australia. Fairly one dimensional. Mostly takes spot up 3's and hits them at a 41% rate. The quality and volume may be different, but has similar relative rates of getting to the rim vs. shooting 3s as Jordan Hawkins. But draws fouls far less frequently and basically never sets up his teammates for buckets.

Kyle Bowen - Stretch 4 - 4th year from Australia. Despite being 6'8", most of his shots are catch and shoot 3s (Similar to Karaban). Sensational defender (2.2 steal%, 3.0 block%), the 3rd best defender in the entire country by RAPM. Good rebounder on both ends. His usage rate is so low, he's barely active on offense. Quote from my SMC alum friend "He can't score but he can win games." Occasionally plays the five.

Mitchell Saxen - Center - 3rd year from Seattle. Slightly taller Croswell-size big. Lives in the paint ala Clingan. 97% of his shot attempts at the rim. Elite offensive rebounder. Draws a bunch of fouls. Surprisingly poor finisher at the rim considering he's only shooting from there and is 6'10", a bit like Sanogo last year (but less jump hooks, more powering to basket and putbacks). Below average FT shooter.

Reaction Score
This is not going to be an easy game, but we have the talent to win top to bottom. Patient, high-IQ teams that force you to execute have been tough for us.

IMO this is a game where the mentally toughest team wins.

Reaction Score
Giving teams second chance points has been an Achilles heal of ours in losses, first pc and Xavier games come to mind, not happy to hear this is a strength of theirs.

Reaction Score
If Newton plays better and our bench shows up again, I don't know how SMU wins. The bench can run these guys into ground, especially if the bench is trading fouls with their starters. VCU was on that path of attrition until Baldwin turned his ankle.

Pitino even mentioned how deadly and taxing our second lineup is. It burns the opposition starters down as the hard minutes accumulate.

Reaction Score
This is not going to be an easy game, but we have the talent to win top to bottom. Patient, high-IQ teams that force you to execute have been tough for us.

IMO this is a game where the mentally toughest team wins.
I think we might blow them out. They don't really turn it over, play slowly, and they don't go for offensive rebounds because they want to get back on D. They haven't faced two bigs like Sanogo and Clingan.

They're really well coached but I just don't think they have the athleticism and scoring power to stay with us if we play our game. Slap Jackson on Mahaney and cut the head off the dragon.

Reaction Score
I think we might blow them out. They don't really turn it over, play slowly, and they don't go for offensive rebounds because they want to get back on D. They haven't faced two bigs like Sanogo and Clingan.

They're really well coached but I just don't think they have the athleticism and scoring power to stay with us if we play our game. Slap Jackson on Mahaney and cut the head off the dragon.
If we go on those patented runs with Albany rocking, I'm not sure they can hold up over the duration. They may have to hit (10) 3s collectively to stem the momentum. UCONN is an order of magnitude or two better than VCU in terms of offensive execution. I think we can push high 60s easy on this team.

I see something like 68-57.

Reaction Score

It SHOULD go that way, but March is March and I'm bound to be on edge.

Reaction Score
Where is our biggest personnel advantage?

Especially if the refs intervene and stem the tide.

Biggest advantage is at the 5 IMO. They have one real big who is good, not great. He relies on strength to score, but you aren't going to overpower Sanogo at the Rim.

He hasn't defended a combo like Sanogo and Clingan in his life. By the 10 minute mark of the second half, he's toast.

Reaction Score
Biggest advantage is at the 5 IMO. They have one real big who is good, not great. He relies on strength to score, but you aren't going to overpower Sanogo at the Rim.

He hasn't defended a combo like Sanogo and Clingan in his life. By the 10 minute mark of the second half, he's toast.
Or on the bench in foul trouble

Reaction Score
Where is our biggest personnel advantage?

Especially if the refs intervene and stem the tide.
Size of our guards/wings and agility/depth at center. We're hard to shoot over and Sanogo is so quick to re-post and duck in and seal when the ball swings.

Schematically, we stay at home on shooters in the pick and roll, which is a big part of their offense. We're going to make them finish in the paint. It will be a bit similar to the Marquette game, except Logan Johnson and Aidan Mahaney are a lot worse than Tyler Kolek and Kam Jones at finishing. Like a lot worse.

Bowen at 6'8" has a really slow release and is used to having some breathing room to shoot or just shoot over guys. We're not going to give it to him. I'm not sure who Andre guards, but if he guards Ducas, that's another guy who is used to shooting over wings, but he hasn't seen an Andre flying close-out. But we may put Andre on one of the guards, so we'll see. Putting Hawkins on Ducas would give him a bit of rest on defense.

Reaction Score
If Hawkins is officially out of his slump they won’t keep up. The weight is off of our shoulders. This is a momentum team which is why we dominated the PK80. It’s why the end of the PC game worried me. The opposite is true about the Iona game. We went nuclear in the 2nd half. And with only one day off it will carry over. We’re going to run ‘em

Reaction Score
Size of our guards/wings and agility/depth at center. We're hard to shoot over and Sanogo is so quick to re-post and duck in and seal when the ball swings.

Schematically, we stay at home on shooters in the pick and roll, which is a big part of their offense. We're going to make them finish in the paint. It will be a bit similar to the Marquette game, except Logan Johnson and Aidan Mahaney are a lot worse than Tyler Kolek and Kam Jones at finishing. Like a lot worse.

Bowen at 6'8" has a really slow release and is used to having some breathing room to shoot or just shoot over guys. We're not going to give it to him. I'm not sure who Andre guards, but if he guards Ducas, that's another guy who is used to shooting over wings, but he hasn't seen an Andre flying close-out. But we may put Andre on one of the guards, so we'll see. Putting Hawkins on Ducas would give him a bit of rest on defense.

They aren't great at the rim, so that will minimize Sanogo's lack of size in there too. Deny, deny, deny the shooters and make them play uncomfortably fast.

Bowen and Karaban will be a fun matchup. Elite defender vs. a super high IQ offensive player.

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score

Imagine how discouraging it must be to play good defense on Sanogo only to get a fresh Clingan off the bench. He's gonna have his hands full at the 5.

Reaction Score
I like to find numerical patterns in things. I have been mentioning to my friends who think I am crazy that I believed all the teams in our pod would finish the weekend with identical records. That means we win tomorrow. That is why I bet St Mary’s yesterday. Lol. While I know it means nothing I believe.

Reaction Score
Imagine how discouraging it must be to play good defense on Sanogo only to get a fresh Clingan off the bench. He's gonna have his hands full at the 5.
And we often switch up our PnR coverage when Clingan comes in, so now the other team is suddenly running offense totally differently. Beyond Clingan's impact protecting the rim and rebounding, it's also a tonal shift to the game. It's kinda like switching to zone in the way it can disrupt an offense's rhythm.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They aren't great at the rim, so that will minimize Sanogo's lack of size in there too. Deny, deny, deny the shooters and make them play uncomfortably fast.

Bowen and Karaban will be a fun matchup. Elite defender vs. a super high IQ offensive player.
And it gives Alex a rest from the brutal matchups he’s had defending talented 4s. He’s good at cheating off his man to help so maybe he can use that.

I want us to run off of every rebound. Their slow pace allows them to play all those minutes. Hawk, Alleyne, Newton and Karaban have to run, run, run off the ball like Rip Hamilton. Wear them down.

It is really a fascinating matchup of very different styles.

Reaction Score
GO UCONN
Understand that the game is on at 6:50 pm Sunday. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks F-101

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And we often switch up our PnR coverage when Clingan comes in, so now the other team is suddenly running offense totally differently. Beyond Clingan's impact protecting the rim and rebounding, it's also a tonal shift to the game. It's kinda like switching to zone in the way it can disrupt an offense's rhythm.
This is what we were so terrible at during the losing stretch. Not so much Adama (often wrongfully blamed) and Clingan but the other guys not handling ball screens and p&r properly when we made the switch. I tend to think one of the reasons Hurley switches most of the guys when DC comes in is so they play more minutes in that different defense. Hawk and Newton seemed to struggle with it, so DC gets Diarra and Joey most of the time.

Reaction Score

I actually don't think this game will be close either way.

I think we either play like the 2nd half against Iona and just overwhelm them offensively and we win like 78-63, or they slow down our offense and frustrate guys like Hawkins (but, unlike Iona, sustain it all game) and they gradually build a lead and win like 68-54. To be fair, I think the former is twice as likely as the latter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom