St Johns Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I mentioned this in the chat but I think it bears repeating. It's not just the lack of scoring on the first shots. SC isn't great with scoring on their first shot, but they rebound well and consistently get 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances. Or at least draw a foul. And they are good with defensive boards as well as offensive. If we could rebound better then it would make up for a lot of other deficiencies.

But like Geno said in postgame, you are what you are at this point. Sometimes they have brilliant rebounding games. Most of the time ... not. Like everything else about this season, the lack of consistency kills them.
"You are what you are.." , basically saying not much we can do about it at this point. Really? Players deserve a bit more from their coach. He was even a nice guy in the handshake line. He looks strangely subdued.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This type of game and results were inevitable. Better now than later I suppose. I wouldn't practice for a couple of days. When the coaches, the bench and the players look dejected...and you're actually winning, then practice probably isn't going to correct that. The focus level on this team is just all over the spectrum right now. Take a step away.

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme just moved LSU to the last #1 seed. The #2 seeds are Maryland, Utah, UCONN, & Iowa.
He would have moved Iowa to #1 with a win, but Maryland trounced them tonight.

Reaction Score
Maybe Auriemma should look a bit in the mirror. It is a coaches job to have a team ready to play. So they went from courageous warriors to bums in a single game? Classless, unwarranted remarks IMO. Seems he chose the low road like many of Uconn’s “fans”.
And I am not buying the psychology angle, the team has been stand up all year, no reason to run games on them.

JBK

Reaction Score
If one never played D1 athletics with the responsibility of academics, and add the pressure of playing for a program like UConn, perhaps the concept of the team being both physically and mentally exhausted is beyond comprehension for some.

Expectations of perfection and infallibility with these young adults is unrealistic. That’s how I see it.
UConn recruits the kids that usually can handle the pressure. We got lucky on a grad transfer or we could have been a 500 team this year. We may have ( I hope not ) missed on some recruits - Ayanna - Amari and Ines.
They could not really perform when it was next player up. Top 25 players can be hit or miss in the UConn program.

JBK

Reaction Score
AE played better in the second half, but she seems a shadow of her former self. Maybe it's the other teams defense. They double AE whenever possible and they chase/hold Lou. Lou has done suprisingly well working through the defenses, but they need both Lou and AE at high levels with the others filling in as circumstances allow. When we were winning (convincingly) 3 or 4 players would be playing at high levels. Now when only one or 2 are really on their game, it isn't enough. Defense wasn't bad (except rebounding), and they forced St. John's to make plays, which they did. The other thing that is inexplicable is their high rate of turnovers, which they can overcome if the rest of their game is on, but is a severe handicap when their offense is so ineffective. It's a lot to expect of Azzi to come back and save the team. CD saved them once, but this game she was part of the offensive problem.
Thank goodness Morgan found Lou or we could be going to the NIT

Reaction Score
"You are what you are.." , basically saying not much we can do about it at this point. Really? Players deserve a bit more from their coach. He was even a nice guy in the handshake line. He looks strangely subdued.
Can’t fix the shooting, but surely they can go over the fundamentals of rebounding and boxing out.

Reaction Score
St. John's played well. Patterson, Bailey and Everett were great.

As has been the norm lately, St. Johns limited UConn’s transition scoring.

At this point, UConn is fairly easy to prepare for. The limited roster prevent’s the Huskies from pressing much or switching up by playing zone. Opponents are not concerned with most of the non starters.

The upgrade foul on Edwards in the third quarter the momentum.

The Huskies may have two easy games left this season, tourney play included. Get used to close, hard-fought games like tonight.
Why does a limited roster prevent playing zone ? Playing zone is what you do when you are playing a team that is quicker than you, but not necessarily a great shooting team or big team , i.e. St Johns. The zone with Deberry at the rim looked pretty effective for the few possessions.

Reaction Score
And I believe going into the 4th quarter we had single digit TOs. But could be mistaken.
I beleive you're right--but it wasn't the number of TOs, they were just so untimely... AE lets a soft pass trickle throught her fingers, the 3 on 1 that we had and instead of AE passing to a wide-open Aubrey, she goes up and gets her shot blocked. The TOs were momentum-breakers at key parts of the game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maybe Auriemma should look a bit in the mirror. It is a coaches job to have a team ready to play. So they went from courageous warriors to bums in a single game? Classless, unwarranted remarks IMO. Seems he chose the low road like many of Uconn’s “fans”.
Calling his team out in the presser isn’t new behavior from Geno, it’s something he did about 15-20 years ago. He knows his players and knows how they respond to challenges. He’s actually spoken about not being able to challenge teams in the recent past, that young people had changed and they didn’t react well to criticism. As a result, we got the kinder, gentler Geno - and no championships.

This year’s team is different and has looked so much like “classic” UConn teams of old. Through the first 24-25 games of the season, the Huskies showed incredible mental toughness and resilience, the last few games, not so much. I’m actually encouraged that Geno is calling them out because he already knows how his team will respond. I take it as a sign that he’s sure they’ll rise up again. When you get the - “They tried, it wasn’t enough. We’ll be back when everyone is healthy, blah blah blah” it’s time to call it a season but, I’m not ready to do so yet.

JBK

Reaction Score
Honestly, this is not playing the bench AT ALL for the vast majority of the season. These girls are mentally and physically exhausted at this point.
CD figured out a rotation when she filled in and they scored more than 70. — it is time to make adjustments. If Geno is still the goat he will ask for input and make some changes. Need Tina Charles to work with Dorka down low

Reaction Score
I wasn’t able to watch. Glad I didn’t now. I did follow along in chat for a few minutes and watched the box score.

Team over the last 4-5 games went from out of gas to “running on fumes” to “fuel tank in a vacuum.” I think they played their hearts out, but just wiped out.

CD 1-11 and ST Johns was knocking down 3’s like a top 4 team. It was their night. Congrats to them. I know their catch has to be over the moon.

Bruno awaits. He wants a piece. I guarantee you all DePaul’s hair will be on fire. Heck, even Xavier is saying “What’s up?”

Hoping these amazing players can dig deep and win from here on out through BE Tournament. It’s going to be a tall task.

A few people said in the chat they questioned recruiting a high school player with a significant injury. I mean, sure, I get it, but you never know. Azzi was a risk Geno was willing to take. I would too. Azzi wants to be out there more than we want her out there. I feel horrible she’s not out there.

Go UConn!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Why does a limited roster prevent playing zone ? Playing zone is what you do when you are playing a team that is quicker than you, but not necessarily a great shooting team or big team , i.e. St Johns. The zone with Deberry at the rim looked pretty effective for the few possessions.
I agree. However, Geno’s lack of confidence in Amari has been noted by many. Zone doesn’t seem to be an option even with a full roster. I thought St. John’s shot well from outside. Nothing works when you are tired.

Reaction Score
His point was that if you haven't been able to fix big issues with your team by this point, you won't magically fix them going into the tournament.
[/QUOTE
I know what he meant, and not something you want to hear from supposedly the best women's coach ever. The players don't deserve that comment. The players and coaches,rather than throwing in the towel, need to work that much harder. This is THE time of the year.

Reaction Score
I thought Nika and Lou played exceptional tonight but had no help. Nika was shutting her player down until Nika got screened off then no one would pick her up or did so too late. Nika looked very frustrated thru out the game with our flimsy defense. She also could have had about 13 assists if Dorka and Aaliyah and even Carolyn could catch the ball or make the layup.
Its not that we are tired physically. Its we are not sharp mentally. The desire is lacking.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
And I am not buying the psychology angle, the team has been stand up all year, no reason to run games on them.

Where have you been? What he's been dealing with this year the team has done remarkably well. 2 of the best #1 picks hurt on the bench. Very little supporting cast. In and out injuries. And we still gave SC all they could handle. If you know Coach you know he always has a purpose to his comments when it comes to motivating the team. He knows what buttons to push and has done it many times.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
His point was that if you haven't been able to fix big issues with your team by this point, you won't magically fix them going into the tournament.
Don’t forget Stewie’s freshman year. That was kind of a magical fix.

Reaction Score
I say it's time to get off the "mentally and physically tired" train (me included) The team was just plain awful tonight! What is so difficult about boxing out, and going after a rebound (maybe following up a shot once), really going after a loose ball., or playing good defense, St. John players were on the floor, scrapping for the ball, and the Huskies were bending over at the hip, reaching for the ball to come to them. Offense is slow, and too much standing around. I have to stop before I get carried away!
I have to agree about the tired aspect. I played college football, which I am guessing was at least as physically draining as college basketball. Since I was basically a teenager, it was pretty easy to recover and I was not completely worn out at the end of the season. Heck, in HS we played “iron man“ (offense, defense, special teams) football and in many games some of us never came off the field. Yes, I was tired after games but played the whole season and playoffs (then a couple week break before basketball season started.) Perhaps my memory is clouded by time, but I don’t remember being completely spent at any time during the three-sport year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom