St Johns Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
St. John's played well. Patterson, Bailey and Everett were great.

As has been the norm lately, St. Johns limited UConn’s transition scoring.

At this point, UConn is fairly easy to prepare for. The limited roster prevent’s the Huskies from pressing much or switching up by playing zone. Opponents are not concerned with most of the non starters.

The upgrade foul on Edwards in the third quarter the momentum.

The Huskies may have two easy games left this season, tourney play included. Get used to close, hard-fought games like tonight.
After tonight, I don't see an easy game anywhere on the schedule. Or either tournament for that matter.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
St John's is an NIT team.

This UConn team is cooked, just a shell of themselves at this point. Easy to defend. In a funk offensively. Mental mistakes. Turnovers. Stand around as the other team grabs rebounds.

Most, if honest, knew this team is not a top 4 team, barely top 10.

Only Azzi's return will make this team a threat in the post-season and it's looking less likely that will happen.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I'm only taking this "tired" for so long. UConn has traditionally only really gone 7 deep. Game, two days off, game, three days off, game, two days off. Back three weeks ago when they had a brutal run, I'd give you tired, At this point, it's just not making bunnies (I counted 7!), and not boxing out. Neither of those should have anything to do with being tired. Your at UConn, not Delphi, your supposed to make those. Again, I don't mean to be harsh but thats the way I see it.
If one never played D1 athletics with the responsibility of academics, and add the pressure of playing for a program like UConn, perhaps the concept of the team being both physically and mentally exhausted is beyond comprehension for some.

Expectations of perfection and infallibility with these young adults is unrealistic. That’s how I see it.

Reaction Score
Conference loyalty and hoping get as many fellow conference mates in the ncaa tourney is understandable but jeez we need to put out an apb to find the team we love and just can't stand to see losing.:(:(

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If one never played D1 athletics with the responsibility of academics, and add the pressure of playing for a program like UConn, perhaps the concept of the team being both physically and mentally exhausted is beyond comprehension for some.

Expectations of perfection and infallibility with these young adults is unrealistic. That’s how I see it.
Don’t forget the burden of expectations of fans

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This team has had their spirits broken, and I don't know there is a fix this season. Praying that Azzi coming back (maybe) could help (possibly). Frustrating for everyone I'm sure.
Pretty much what I warned about before the Feb 1 Providence game.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the St Johns game:
  • I was hoping for a relatively stress-free game tonight. So much for that. The word is out. Pack it in on defense and force the Huskies to hit outside shots. In addition, UConn gave the Red Storm a lot of open looks from the arc and they hit a bunch of 3’s. Lastly, SJ attacked the offensive boards in waves getting far too many 2nd chance baskets.
  • Lou pretty much kept the Huskies in the game during the first half. She got a little more help from her teammates in the second half, but it wasn't enough to pull out the game tonight.
  • Daniel Patterson plays just under 16 mpg, scoring 6.5 ppg for SJ this season. Tonight she looked like a 1st Team all-conference player. :confused:
  • A win tonight would have assured UConn of a share of the conference championship, along with the top seed in the conference tournament. That will all have to wait for another day.
  • The victory for SJ tonight may just have gotten the Red Storm into the Big Dance.
  • This is just my perception so take it for what it’s worth. The Huskies aren't having much fun right now. The team is tired, tight and playing under a lot of pressure, without much joy or confidence at times. Basketball is supposed to be fun! I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it so for this team, but that has to come from within.
  • I’ll be traveling on Saturday, so I ask that another BY’er start the DePaul postgame thread in my absence. Many thanks.

Reaction Score
If you are a numbers person, the difference between 29 and 3 is huge. St John's bench outscored UConn's 29 - 3. At this juncture in the season, certain Big East teams smell blood. While UConn is capable of playing with anyone in the country, for now, they are also beatable.

Credit to St. John's for coming back after being outscored 11 - 0 at the start of the second half. It appeared that the Villanova game took a lot out of the team. As the second half of the season has unfolded, UConn has difficulty putting two solid games together in a row. For the first time in a very long time, a Big East Tournament championship is not a foregone conclusion.

The season has been a slog, probably more mentally demanding than physical. At least for the remainder of this season, every game seems it will be decided in the 4th quarter. Hopefully, the advent of the post season will bring a new impetus to the team and ideally freshened legs.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
  • This is just my perception so take it for what it’s worth. The Huskies aren't having much fun right now. The team is tired, tight and playing under a lot of pressure, without much joy or confidence at times. Basketball is supposed to be fun! I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it so for this team, but that has to come from within.
I feel the same way. They had a little bit of that "having fun look" at the start of the 2nd half, but St. John’s quickly put a blanket over that.
I feel really really bad for Caroline, she was trying her hardest but it just wasn't working. And if isn't working for her, we need Aubrey to play like we know she can. It wasn’t working for her either.
When we have more than 2 players having off nights, we are screwed, even if 1 of the off players isn't Lou.
Another game that I will not be watching the work done by MJL243. :(

Reaction Score
If you are a numbers person, the difference between 29 and 3 is huge. St John's bench outscored UConn's 29 - 3. At this juncture in the season, certain Big East teams smell blood. While UConn is capable of playing with anyone in the country, for now, they are also beatable.
My country for a bench that could be relied upon to get double-digit points this season.

Reaction Score
Teams have figured out how to defend UConn. Its no secret. Pack the inside so no easy passes inside and force perimeter shots. Problem is Geno cant/wont change the scheme and i dont think he could anyway at this point with the lack of physical post players and depth on the inside. Plus, he really has no perimeter players, except maybe Lou, who can create their own shots. CD could if she was healthy and in game shape. But it feels too little too late at this point. Unless Azzi comes back very soon, I really wouldnt expect much from her (if she decides to play).

Finesse teams like UConn usually get worn down in the Tourney, but because of all the injuries, it is happening much sooner. The bigger issues are Geno may have to change the types of players he recruits as the game gets more physical and faster. And also the offensive schemes. Playing a finesse, perimeter passing game is not the way to go...

Reaction Score
Expect this style of play when teams play UCONN.constant movement and lots of screens and running down the play clock….with limited players it is exhausting….also this style prevents most fast breaks….defensively pack the lane and deny Lou the ball and make it hard to get open this is also hard on tired legs.
Still let us go a game at a time ….we will catch our second wind like great long distance runners do.
Have faith and believe….

Reaction Score
AE played better in the second half, but she seems a shadow of her former self. Maybe it's the other teams defense. They double AE whenever possible and they chase/hold Lou. Lou has done suprisingly well working through the defenses, but they need both Lou and AE at high levels with the others filling in as circumstances allow. When we were winning (convincingly) 3 or 4 players would be playing at high levels. Now when only one or 2 are really on their game, it isn't enough. Defense wasn't bad (except rebounding), and they forced St. John's to make plays, which they did. The other thing that is inexplicable is their high rate of turnovers, which they can overcome if the rest of their game is on, but is a severe handicap when their offense is so ineffective. It's a lot to expect of Azzi to come back and save the team. CD saved them once, but this game she was part of the offensive problem.

Reaction Score
I know this team is tired both mentally and physically- but I would have liked to see this team try and change the pace of the game. Maybe some full court pressure with Aubrey up top. I get the tired but already mentioned UConn traditionally played only 7 or 8 players. Seeing the same pace all game was frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom