St. John's Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

St. John's Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
We've literally watched Steph Castle morph into an NBA lottery pick in a single season right before our very eyes. He went from early in the season, guys (including us yarders) questioning if he really has NBA potential and opposing coaches saying "lay off him, let him shoot" to one of our most dangerous weapons. Now you have to guard all 5 of us. Look out.

Reaction Score
Stewart was not great this game and hasn’t progressed much to my eye (seems less and less playable, doesn’t seem to fit into the offense well) but man the fact that we didn’t drop off with him as our small ball 5 was amazing

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Stewart was not great this game and hasn’t progressed much to my eye (seems less and less playable, doesn’t seem to fit into the offense well) but man the fact that we didn’t drop off with him as our small ball 5 was amazing
Seems to want others to shoot and that’s not a bad thing. Definitely passed up a couple of shots I expected him to take.

Reaction Score
We've literally watched Steph Castle morph into an NBA lottery pick in a single season right before our very eyes. He went from early in the season, guys (including us yarders) questioning if he really has NBA potential and opposing coaches saying "lay off him, let him shoot" to one of our most dangerous weapons. Now you have to guard all 5 of us. Look out.
He's always been a one and done lottery pick, I'm thinking we may be seeing the #1 pick.

Reaction Score
Tough critic!

I’ll take Diarra being “off” like this any day. Dude was an absolute dawg on defense, finished off some important drives with nifty layups to keep SJU from mounting runs, 5reb, 2 steals.
He pulled it together in the second half but was outright bad in the first half. A few blown defensive assignments that led to easy drives, a handful of fumbled balls and just bad decisions on offense. It was definitely one of his weaker performances this season, but again, these are pretty uncommon for him this year.

Reaction Score
Some observations:
1. Jim Jackson was spot on in assessing how the game has slowed for Castle. There's less hesitation in his decision making, and every move seems to have a purpose. He's going to be a heck of a player (more so).
2. Newton was good again, but he always has a couple of plays that make me scratch my head. Be it a ill-advised 3-pointer or dribbling into traffic, jumping, and throwing a blind pass leading to a TO. AS good as Tristen is, I think he can be better if he economized his shots and distributed more (which he's very good at).
3. Samson's lack of girth was apparent on a couple of putback attempts against thick-bodied players like Soriano and Ledlum. I'm still looking to see some of Samson's somewhat hyped 3-pt. shooting.
4. I think we benefitted from St. John's not utilizing Soriano more, considering Donovan was in foul trouble. Soriano clearly had an advantage on Samson.
5. Luis Jr. on St. John's looks to be a nice player. If he sticks around, I think Pitino can develop him.
6. Alleyne looked pretty good in the few minutes he played, I think Pitino should have gave him more minutes.

Overall, this was like a breath of fresh air compared to the pace of the Providence game.

Reaction Score
Spenczar had 23 not 19.

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 14.43.45.png

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Wow, Castle put on a clinic. His offensive numbers today and the last game are unbelievably good. 5/5 at the line today is almost more impressive than the 2/2 on 3s. His 3PT% over the last several games is a complete 180 from before conference play. Wish we'd get to see more of him in Blue & White but I think he's really got NBA star potential if this is what he can do. Oh, and he's probably the best defensive player on a team with Clingan.

Not sure what's up with Clingan, the good thing is even if he's not producing numbers just having him in the game has a massive impact. I'm sure he'll get his groove going, we've got a few tune up games coming before the home stretch.

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Seems to want others to shoot and that’s not a bad thing. Definitely passed up a couple of shots I expected him to take.
It’s just the ball always stops with him, he doesn’t really know what to do with it, and ends up just dumping it off. They need to only get it to him when he is set to shoot. Then maybe from there he can get more comfortable

Reaction Score
I know when you are on the road that the home team thinks they can win. And they played hard and had a chance.

But it really seemed that most of the STJ fans showed up expecting a different outcome. Not sure what reality they are living in.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
You know, DC having a rough time and us still winning going away bodes very well for the rest of this season. I think he will be just fine come BE and NCAA tournament time. Danny and his staff will coach him up.

DCT

Reaction Score
His fourth foul was such a dumb foul for him to commit. He doesn’t know how big he is yet. Just stand there
Considering he didn't play AAU so he has played less top level bb

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom