St. John's Post Game Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

St. John's Post Game Thread

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The best play Spencer made was when we were up 10 with about 3 minutes left.

He took a late-shot-clock 3, missed it short, but followed his shot and rebounded his own miss. Instead of rushing a putback, he pulled it back out, made sure we used the entire 20 extra seconds, then bamboozled his defender into biting on a fake to draw a foul in the lane as the shot clock expired. That slammed the door right there, and it was all due to his composure, craftiness, and IQ.
Amen to that. I love that word craftiness. And he sure knows how to use that attribute. I can't remember anyone as crafty as him. What an acquisition.

Reaction Score
Are you sure you want to use 1956 as an inflection point?

During the years leading up to that, Frank McGuire did a good enough job to a) bring them to their first final four (they've only made it one other time) and b) get plu led by UNC (who he led to a title a couple years later).
I thought McGuire was South Carolina??

Reaction Score
From my unsophisticated and casual algorithm-math nerd point of view the biggest head scratcher I get from this chart is how any player, never mind two players, can receive a higher defensive rating in this game than Castle.

Seems to be an underweighting of neutralizing opponents best players and/or opponents players that could have the greatest offensive impact against us.

It would be interesting to see a similar chart for the Providence game. The impact Stephon had on Carter was Ricky Moore like.
Glad you brought up Ricky. Solo needs to go to Ricky Moore lockdown camp this summer!!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Both! Hard to believe a basketball coach would leave unc for usc in this day and age!!
He left UNC for the NBA. After he lost the NBA job, South Carolina jumped on him.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Glad you brought up Ricky. Solo needs to go to Ricky Moore lockdown camp this summer!!
How about a shout out to Hassan and Cam. Reminded me of Bazz and Boat with all the ball disruptions and steals.

Reaction Score
Are you sure you want to use 1956 as an inflection point?

During the years leading up to that, Frank McGuire did a good enough job to a) bring them to their first final four (they've only made it one other time) and b) get plu led by UNC (who he led to a title a couple years later).
Your right. He did. But keep in mind the Final Four of that era wasn’t the final four of today. Teams would turn down the NCAA to play in the NIT which was more prestigious.

The reason I picked 1956 is that St John’s had success with McGuire, then Lapchick, who left to go to coach the Knicks. His assistant took over but wasn’t up to the job and the Johnnies fell off precipitously. Multiple losing seasons in succession (Lapchick had exactly 1 in his 2 stints in Queens). He came back in 1956 and turned the program around again. He was followed by Lou Carnesseca. In this day and age it is unbelievable, and it seems that it can’t be true, but I read that Lapchick retired when he reached 65 because St John’s had a rule requiring all non-religious to retire at 65. He tried to get them to waive the rule but they wouldn’t. Now they hire a guy who is in his 70s.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I can only find this 3 minute clip. I guess nobody cares much about what he says. :)

This is sandbagging by Pitino. I remember Boeheim talking about JC and Uconn like they came down from heaven. Never ever give an opponent something to put up on the locker room bulletin board.
This comment is to make Uconn overconfident. I can't think of anyone more committed to doing whatever it takes to win. They don't call him Slick Rick for nothing. He is fanatical which is probably why he is HOF. To be honest I don't like to see him on the sidelines, and I guess that is a backhanded compliment.

Reaction Score
This is sandbagging by Pitino. I remember Boeheim talking about JC and Uconn like they came down from heaven. Never ever give an opponent something to put up on the locker room bulletin board.
This comment is to make Uconn overconfident. I can't think of anyone more committed to doing whatever it takes to win. They don't call him Slick Rick for nothing. He is fanatical which is probably why he is HOF. To be honest I don't like to see him on the sidelines, and I guess that is a backhanded compliment.
He doesn’t have tourney spot clinched yet so yeah he’s worried.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom