St. John's Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

St. John's Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Some said we are mediocre and not much better than St. John's today. I take the contrarian view: GD Adama Sanogo has kinda learned to pass from the inside out (he's gone from a 1 to about a 5 on scale of 1-10 from XMAS); it is beyond time he gets scripted specific instructions on what he cannot do on the interior with refs watching. IF ... we are allowed to go the whole first half with Sanogo not having 2 fouls (or let's just say 15-16 minutes in), we can be a diverse interior strong team with good principles on the perimeter. And a solid Hawkins + Polley (or just one). Then you are beyond most MM teams.

Grinding through tight games with some probability of loss is coming with little Sanogo or others because of Fouls. We need to play our identity on Defense. Maybe Sanogo needs to be told to not be part of that. Dial it down on your intensity because reaching outside the paint and coming through on guys with the ball inside ... is too often.

Reaction Score
Definitely wasn’t the best basketball, but we’ll take 2 out of 3 this week. Conference play is always going to be a grind, on to SH …

Reaction Score
Jackson had an open dunk there and in the first half he had a wide open baseline for a dunk and turned it down. He drives us nuts sometimes and is a work in progress but brings a lot more good to the table than bad.
He’s definitely doing 2 or 3 things every game that I love and usually 2 or 3 things that make me scratch my head, but agreed he is evolving and improving and is a kid who ya wanna root for.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Tyrese has really become the vocal leader of the team.

Reaction Score
I have seen a lot of ifs but is St. John's saying well we didn't have Posh and we easily shoulda beat them twice?

Reaction Score
Ok, ok ... Gaff had another ok game. He could have a good game for the rest of the season. Doesn't change my opinion of him one bit. Give me 20 min and I'll twist his stats to proof he has sucked all along.

BRB.
Come on really T.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I do not call them "bunnies" or "easy" shots anymore. They are neither.

MANY are simply balls directed toward the basket from close range, and no more. That's why so many don't go in.

Further, I propose that they not even be called "layups" unless the follwing is true:

1) Upon its release, the player can be identified as having his attention/intention directly on the rim or a chosen spot on the backboard.

2) The release unmistakably results in the ball being (a) emphatically or gently but definitely put into the basket, (b) draws a foul, or (c) gets blocked.

Nothing else is acceptable.

A basket, or opposition contact, or being blocked. Period.

However embarrassing the third option my be, the first two will happen far more frequently, and (a) more will go into the basket, (b) the other team will get into foul trouble, and (c) foul shooting's importance will be tested & revealed. We will still record more blocks than the other team.

Don't just throw it up. Don't contort to avoid contact. Don't worry about being blocked.

I think Bilas is often insufferable, but he tweeted this this morning. I think the answer to missed layups is a mix of guys rushing things and guys getting fouled without calls. "In addition to the massive failures in calling clear fouls (arm bars on handlers, grabbing/chucking cutters), there is this type of foul. The defender is inside of the restricted arc, does not jump, and makes contact with the shooter with arms down, not vertical. Foul, uncalled" That happened to our guys constantly yesterday. If you are working to avoid the contact, it won't get called. You have to go up strong into that contact, making it obvious, then try to finish. Tyrese, Sanogo, Jackson, Cole, are all often moving away from the rim on layups. If a guy is in the circle, level him.

Reaction Score
Where can I find a plus/minus stat for this game?
61D91CA2-4CE6-42E3-BEB0-410A34E98800.jpeg

Reaction Score
Hurley sat Martin for 13 minutes in the first half with two fouls.

He finished with 3 fouls.

Hurley sat Sanogo for 10 minutes in the first half with two fouls.

I'm about as big of a fan of Hurley as there is but this is becoming unacceptable. He has to maximize our best players minutes. Sitting players for the rest of the first half / extended minutes with two fouls is such an antiquated way of thinking. This isn't 2004 anymore (and yes Calhoun made the wrong decision to bench Okafor vs. Duke with 2 fouls for the rest of the first half too. He finished with 3 fouls.)

Reaction Score

I'm about as big of a fan of Hurley as there is but this is becoming unacceptable. He has to maximize our best players minutes. Sitting players for the rest of the first half / extended minutes with two fouls is such an antiquated way of thinking. This isn't 2004 anymore (and yes Calhoun made the wrong decision to bench Okafor vs. Duke with 2 fouls for the rest of the first half too. He finished with 3 fouls.)
Agree, Sanogo is underutilized fearing for fouls.Don’t most coaches do this? Worked out in the game with Oak though.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

I can guarantee that if any of them were kept in they would have all picked up a 3rd foul in the first half!

Reaction Score
Agree, Sanogo is underutilized fearing for fouls.Don’t most coaches do this? Worked out in the game with Oak though.
Most coaches do it to some extent. UConn is 331th/358 in terms of 2 foul first half participation, so Hurley does it to an extreme.

He even sat RJ Cole against Xavier for almost 7 minutes in the first half. RJ has fouled out of 2 games in his entire 109 game career. He just doesn't foul much at all. He's so risk averse its detrimental.

Reaction Score
Sanogo had a tough day, but my biggest takeaway was how well Whaley played at the 5 while Sanogo was out. Whaley had a very solid day defensively, contributed on the offensive glass, and made his must-have layups. Both guys are absolutely vital to this team, but it seems like each of them are at their best playing center.

Huge win to gain some momentum. The Big East is an absolute slugfest.

Reaction Score
Most coaches do it to some extent. UConn is 331th/358 in terms of 2 foul first half participation, so Hurley does it to an extreme.

He even sat RJ Cole against Xavier for almost 7 minutes in the first half. RJ has fouled out of 2 games in his entire 109 game career. He just doesn't foul much at all. He's so risk averse its detrimental.
Then Cole got #3 early in the 2nd and he sat him until almost the 10 min mark when we were down double digits. Not playing our best scorer 20 minutes is just stupid foul trouble or not.

pj

Reaction Score

Jim Calhoun would have been 358th / 358, so Hurley isn't that extreme.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun would have been 358th / 358, so Hurley isn't that extreme.
KenPom only started tracking it in 2010 so only 3 years of Calhoun, but you are not far off. He was 337, 318, 232 his last 3 years

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Today i've learned that:
1) picking up a 3rd foul a few minutes into the 2nd half is evidence the player should have played more in the first half,
2) if a player is in foul trouble, has his minutes reduced, and doesn't foul out; it's evidence that the coach made a mistake, and the player should have played more because he wasn't going to foul out, and
3) playing time/foul management scenarios are much easier to get right when the game is over and you know how many fouls each player committed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom