St. John's Coaching Rumors | Page 3 | The Boneyard

St. John's Coaching Rumors

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I always get a good laugh out of the casual fans, who say such things in retrospect. At the time, it was thought that UConn couldn’t afford the buyout. Chief knew UConn could do a buyout given the situation and was aware of a discussion in Houston. UConn did informally indicate they would pay $2.5 million but KO refuse - then the for cause scenario played out, which UConn was hoping to avoid and KO foolishly did not try to avoid. KO and his attorney’s overplayed their hands, they should have taken the $2.5 million.
Cheif00
You must have the worlds longest arms and sorest back at times
Again, there are folks who just may know more real inside info than you my friend but know when mum is the word
How's the recruitment for a big going?

Reaction Score
Why on earth would Bobby consider such a massive downgrade? He has a better job now, and lots of better jobs are open.
That’s why this thread makes no sense.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Thought they were on record as saying they'd never do that. Will only play head to head if they meet in a tournament.
I thought I recall Danny saying something along the lines of "let me get my guys in here first before considering that" in response to a question about scheduling a UConn/ASU series.

Reaction Score
St. John’s recruit asks to be released from commitment
Mack said the departure of Abdelmassih, his lead recruiter and, according to sources, the only St. John’s coach he had a strong relationship with, played a factor in his decision. But Mack also wasn’t sure how long Mullin, who has two years left on his contract, would be at St. John’s, even though the head coach told him he had no plans to go anywhere.

Reaction Score
St. John’s recruit asks to be released from commitment
Mack said the departure of Abdelmassih, his lead recruiter and, according to sources, the only St. John’s coach he had a strong relationship with, played a factor in his decision. But Mack also wasn’t sure how long Mullin, who has two years left on his contract, would be at St. John’s, even though the head coach told him he had no plans to go anywhere.

Waiting to see if the same thing happens with Tabor

C

Chief00

Cheif00
You must have the worlds longest arms and sorest back at times
Again, there are folks who just may know more real inside info than you my friend but know when mum is the word
How's the recruitment for a big going?
In fairness, I self imposed a gag order on the KO stuff until I started cutting back on it after the recent wide scope FOI and disposition requests by KO’s team. Doing a FOI and taking dispositions is not exactly “mums the word”, since it all will be public. He choose that route first, not me. I still think if he has any brains left, he will regret that move - since the most embarrassing stuff about KO is not public yet and could fall in the FOI scope.
His lawyers better be better than they appear, because they are tarnishing his future employment - even for NBA jobs in this #MeToo era - if the lid comes completely off.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
In fairness, I self imposed a gag order on the KO stuff until I started cutting back on it after the recent wide scope FOI and disposition requests by KO’s team. Doing a FOI and taking dispositions is not exactly “mums the word”, since it all will be public. He choose that route first, not me. I still think if he has any brains left, he will regret that move - since the most embarrassing stuff about KO is not public yet and could fall in the FOI scope.
His lawyers better be better than they appear, because they are tarnishing his future employment - even for NBA jobs in this #MeToo era - if the lid comes completely off.
Look at you, Mr. Lawyer.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They could afford the buyout amount informally offered before the snowball started rolling down the hill.

Thats not the buyout. Which they couldnt afford.

C

Chief00

Thats not the buyout. Which they couldnt afford.
Technically, likely the buyout amount per the contract will equal zero. They can afford that!
But, I was referring to the $2.5M they would have given KO to walk away and avoid what has happened.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Technically, likely the buyout amount per the contract will equal zero. They can afford that!
But, I was referring to the $2.5M they would have given KO to walk away and avoid what has happened.

Yes but you brought up people who said they couldnt afford the buyout and implied they were incorrect.

They weren’t. They couldn’t afford it.

They cast their lot and may beat Ollie for the money - but they could not afford the buyout.

That you’ve made up an offer recently and tried to term it the buyout doesn’t really matter to people who know what words mean.

C

Chief00

Yes but you brought up people who said they couldnt afford the buyout and implied they were incorrect.

They weren’t. They couldn’t afford it.

They cast their lot and may beat Ollie for the money - but they could not afford the buyout.

That you’ve made up an offer recently and tried to term it the buyout doesn’t really matter to people who know what words mean.
The $2.5 million was floated over a year ago. Before this mess started.

Reaction Score
I always get a good laugh out of the casual fans, who say such things in retrospect. At the time, it was thought that UConn couldn’t afford the buyout. Chief knew UConn could do a buyout given the situation and was aware of a discussion in Houston. UConn did informally indicate they would pay $2.5 million but KO refuse - then the for cause scenario played out, which UConn was hoping to avoid and KO foolishly did not try to avoid. KO and his attorney’s overplayed their hands, they should have taken the $2.5 million.
Only logical for UConn to pursue that course and part ways amicably. KO’s lawyers have screwed him hard from day 1 in negotiating his contract with an unqualified for cause termination for any violation of NCAA rules and then leading him down a path he really can’t win under the 4 corners of the agreement. His own pride and refusal to realize he failed miserably is his downfall. He lost in the court of public opinion with his tactics, which would have been his best weapon in reaching a decent settlement. Had he said he understood he failed but did his best, and just wants a fair compromise and pushed that publicly, he would have 3 or 4 million in structured settlement.

C

Chief00

Only logical for UConn to pursue that course and part ways amicably. KO’s lawyers have screwed him hard from day 1 in negotiating his contract with an unqualified for cause termination for any violation of NCAA rules and then leading him down a path he really can’t win under the 4 corners of the agreement. His own pride and refusal to realize he failed miserably is his downfall. He lost in the court of public opinion with his tactics, which would have been his best weapon in reaching a decent settlement. Had he said he understood he failed but did his best, and just wants a fair compromise and pushed that publicly, he would have 3 or 4 million in structured settlement.

I think you summed things up pretty well. Like Whaler11, I think KO got locked into the premise he was due $10M under contract but he no longer was due that.

Reaction Score
Exactly when did you decide to lift the "Gag order"?

C

Chief00

Exactly when did you decide to lift the "Gag order"?

I already answered why, the partial lifting of the self imposed gag order, due to the most recent FOI’s and dispositions by his brilliant legal team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom