St John’s: The biggest recruiting miss in college hoop history | The Boneyard

St John’s: The biggest recruiting miss in college hoop history

Reaction Score
I met guy who had played against Jabbar in high school. He said his team was so far behind at halfime that they were all joking around at half in the locker room, making jokes about how they could dribble between his legs, just the impossibility of the moment.

But the real tale of KAJ's recruiting will never be fully known. What is well known -now- is that UCLA paid even better than Al McGuire did at UNC. UCLA players had access to apartments, cars, money and more. Add that to sun and girls. Tough to beat.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I watched about 3 minutes of that Alcindor video. Was there no such thing as goal tending in 1965?

Reaction Score
I met guy who had played against Jabbar in high school. He said his team was so far behind at halfime that they were all joking around at half in the locker room, making jokes about how they could dribble between his legs, just the impossibility of the moment.

But the real tale of KAJ's recruiting will never be fully known. What is well known -now- is that UCLA paid even better than Al McGuire did at UNC. UCLA players had access to apartments, cars, money and more. Add that to sun and girls. Tough to beat.

Al never coached UNC.

Reaction Score
I watched about 3 minutes of that Alcindor video. Was there no such thing as goal tending in 1965?
Right? Maybe it was like international rules. Or maybe the refs couldn’t believe it.
Who was the center (#55?) from Rice? He looked close to 7’ too.
Another note... Power looked like they could have played UCLA varsity pretty close. Scary team. Maybe better than Wilbur Cross in the early 70s (Campbell, Williamson, Thomas, etc).

Reaction Score
Maybe the Lakers? :eek:
Speaking of Lakers, Magic Johnson was the best thing that happened to Kareem. He rejuvenated his career and was able to feed the golden goose, as well as relieve the pressure (i.e. double teaming). He seemed about ready to end it and needed an unselfish playmaker. Probably the best 2 player combo in the history of basketball.

Reaction Score
Al never coached UNC.
Sorry, Frank (not Al). I wish I had a dime for every time I make that mistake. Frank was infamous for stealing NYC kids by cheating.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Speaking of Lakers, Magic Johnson was the best thing that happened to Kareem. He rejuvenated his career and was able to feed the golden goose, as well as relieve the pressure (i.e. double teaming). He seemed about ready to end it and needed an unselfish playmaker. Probably the best 2 player combo in the history of basketball.

Safe to safe Magic would have been the best thing to happen to any great player's career since Magic wasn't ever concerned with scoring all the buckets. He just scored when it was needed.

And yes, undoubtedly the best 1-2 punch ever, especially Magic's first 5-6 years when Kareem was still a major offensive threat. You won't see too many lists that don't have both of them in top 5 all-time. I'd put them #2 and #3 behind MJ with Magic being #2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom