St John’s broadcast Alleyne mention | Page 2 | The Boneyard

St John’s broadcast Alleyne mention

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Much would rather give the freshman his run. Ball is pretty much the same player as him and will be even better.
not sure we know this yet, but i like the sentiment. still miss alleyene in the uniform.

Reaction Score
St John’s has a billionaire who promised NIL dollars if they hired Pitino.

Reaction Score
He was poised to be a starter at SJU before some transfers came in. I wonder if he is regretting it at all.
He got a starter's shot total tonight but only made 3 of 13 and an abysmal 2 for 8 on three's.
Maybe forcing it in an attempt to make a case for starting?

Reaction Score
I respect him because he helped us win a title. The comment about Pitino seems like a dig at Hurley over playing time. The grass isn't always greener... but everyone makes their own decisions. Just unfortunate that he'll be watching from home this year

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Much would rather give the freshman his run. Ball is pretty much the same player as him and will be even better.
Would not be surprised if he is much much better and I liked Alleyne. Big heart, 43" vertical and 7 foot wingspan. Watch out. The talent and drive of this incoming class is going to be something to behold.

Reaction Score
He has to be regretting his decision - maybe not to leave, but certainly to go there. He's buried on the second unit and Rick is currently subbing like an NBA coach with a bench he doesn't trust. The only reason he got so many shots up last night is Rick benched the starters for the last 7-8 minutes of the game in a blowout. If it was a close game, all of the starters would have been over 30 minutes. Most of Alleyne's shots were garbage time 3's.

Reaction Score
He has to be regretting his decision - maybe not to leave, but certainly to go there. He's buried on the second unit and Rick is currently subbing like an NBA coach with a bench he doesn't trust. The only reason he got so many shots up last night is Rick benched the starters for the last 7-8 minutes of the game in a blowout. If it was a close game, all of the starters would have been over 30 minutes. Most of Alleyne's shots were garbage time 3's.
"Buried on the second unit" is an exaggeration since it's only been 1 game. They've played 2 games and the 1st game he started and played 35 minutes. I don't really care but these posts saying he made a mistake after 2 games are strange. He's not on this year's UConn team so whatever. I'm out on the subject.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Gus Johnson said he asked Alleyne why he left after winning a national championship , and he said for Rick Pitino. As if Dan needed more motivation.
When I hear “Pitino” in this context, I substitute “hookers and blow”.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hurley has intimated many times in interviews that Alleyne had one foot out the door before the season was over. He didn't specifically mention Alleyne's name but it was clear who he was talking about. I don't think Alleyne was happy coming off the bench and wanted a bigger role. Remember that he was a 3 year started at Virginia Tech so I can see how that happened. Hurley never seemed to be upset about it so no big deal.
The irony is that Pitino recruited over him and he would have been coming off the bench but for injuries.

Reaction Score
I think he went there for the NIL, period. And I don't blame him for that. He isn't an NBA player. I guess he can make a living playing basketball, but it's smart to start getting paid asap. The word was that the Vitaminwater guy was going to throw around big NIL bucks. Alleyne jumped early and may have gotten a lot of cash. Plus, Pitino is a legend regardless of what we think of him as a person which is a side benefit.

My only issue with Alleyne transferring to SJU is that it's in conference. If he went anywhere else, I'd be rooting for him. As a one year player, I don't have a lot of strong feelings for him, so I'll be rooting against him like any other SJU player. Corey Floyd I root against even more than the typical Providence player. Akok Akok was a bit different, but I still didn't like that he went to Georgetown (but certainly hope he is healthy after his collapse). I'd be happy to see Diggins do well (but UMass suck). I'm all in on Springs and QU!

Reaction Score
There should be no negative words about Naheim Alleyne mentioned here. He played an integral part in #5. And if he was disgruntled he never let it affect how he cheered for his teammates or how hard he played. He’s an amazing young man who helped this fan base achieve the ultimate prize in the sport. There are no hard feelings between Naheim and anyone in our program. He participated in the celebrations all throughout the summer even after committing to St John’s. I hope he kills it the rest of the way. Thank You Naheim.

Reaction Score
"Buried on the second unit" is an exaggeration since it's only been 1 game. They've played 2 games and the 1st game he started and played 35 minutes. I don't really care but these posts saying he made a mistake after 2 games are strange. He's not on this year's UConn team so whatever. I'm out on the subject.
Not as big of an exaggeration as him playing "35 minutes" in game 1. He started and only played 15 minutes in game 1, which isn't exactly a vote of confidence. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument though. His 18 minutes in game 2 were mostly in garbage time - I was at the game. Pitino even left him on the court with the walk-ons until the final horn, which was insulting to him imho.

Reaction Score
St John's did not look good from what I saw last night. Team play looked weak, no cohesiveness, buncha' gunners trying to get shots off, Alleyne included, at least the 10 minutes I saw. It's gonna be tough for Pitino to wrangle this group into contenders.

Reaction Score
St John's did not look good from what I saw last night. Team play looked weak, no cohesiveness, buncha' gunners trying to get shots off, Alleyne included, at least the 10 minutes I saw. It's gonna be tough for Pitino to wrangle this group into contenders.

Honestly, if Pitino can't get this group playing cohesively there are very few people who could. Horrible person--brilliant coach.

Reaction Score
Naheim had eight points and a rebound last night. I hope he has a good season. Hope Corey, Rashool and Akok have a good season too. Good luck former huskies

Reaction Score
Not as big of an exaggeration as him playing "35 minutes" in game 1. He started and only played 15 minutes in game 1, which isn't exactly a vote of confidence. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument though. His 18 minutes in game 2 were mostly in garbage time - I was at the game. Pitino even left him on the court with the walk-ons until the final horn, which was insulting to him imho.
O.K. I messed up. I looked at the boxscore from the Rutgers game, which was just an exhibition. That is the one he played 35 minutes. You are correct, he only played 15 minutes against Stony Brook. So it doesn't look good after 2 games. You are right.

We'll see what happens but it is only 2 games. The first few games at UConn he started and played 30+ minutes and then things changed when Jackson came back from his injury. So things can change.

Reaction Score
I think what’s going to hurt him is that he was part of a championship team with a banner on the wall..and I don’t think he will be welcome to come visit the team like past players are when his college career is over

Reaction Score
I think what’s going to hurt him is that he was part of a championship team with a banner on the wall..and I don’t think he will be welcome to come visit the team like past players are when his college career is over

He was a multi-year starter on an SEC team that played in the tournament. After spending a year as a bench guy on a national championship team - winning the whole thing - it's hard to fault a kid for looking for a bigger role elsewhere for his last year of college basketball. It might not work out the way he planned but that's life. It would be stunning if he's not "welcome" on campus when his career's over. We can be thankful that the Boneyard doesn't have any role in those calls.

Reaction Score
You're wrong. Hurley already has and will continue to welcome him back. Pretty sure he's been back multiple times as part of championship celebrations already

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom