St. Francis Post-Game Press | Page 4 | The Boneyard

St. Francis Post-Game Press

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Well I guess if we can all read Geno I would say he was pissed his team didn't get a real good workout against any kind of defense. All he got was a little conditioning.
Good point. Recall that after the St. Francis of Brooklyn game (I think; three years ago?) he said that that team competing hard the whole game was just the thing his team needed to open the tournament.

This game? Not so much.

Reaction Score
It's Sunday morning, I just finished reading the Courant sports section and having my coffee. Looking at this tread, I am shocked and amazed at the negativity of the posts, the incessant whines and complaints against both the SF coach and Geno. IMHO, the SF coach showed class and spoke well about why he chose the game plan with disastrous results. The SF players competed hard and their best scorer Jessica Kovatch (sp?) was lock down by KN. They were simply overmatched. Geno did what he had to do to prepare his team, he surely did not want to embarrass anybody, least of all SF players and coach. I just want to enjoy the win and hope that SF will have a great memory of the game and have much improved and better players in the future.

See, one thing that bugs me here... It's a loss and nothing more. Was SF going to win that game ? No, under no circumstances was that a legit possibility. So, really, what the hell difference does it make if they lose 140-50 or 70-30 or something ? No difference at all. The result of the game was not a "disaster". It was a game that one team was going to win and the other was going to lose, and that's all that happened. The sun will indeed still come up tomorrow and life will go one, despite the fact that UConn beat Saint Francis by 90 pts.
[

Reaction Score
I understand your points and agree with them.

I just thought that most posters on this board want there to be substantive growth in the fandom, appreciation and coverage of the women's game. That will not happen unless more of today's non-fans (read males) tune in. This game did not help that eventuality.

Those of us who already watch and attend women's games are not the source of future growth.

Sorry, but there is not a single 1-16 game in the women's tournament, win, lose, or draw that is moving the needle one millimeter for anyone, male or female, that is not already an active fan of women's basketball. You can wish for growth of the fandom all you want, but even hardcore men's fans don't tune in to watch the 1-16 games when their team isn't involved.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but there is not a single 1-16 game in the women's tournament, win, lose, or draw that is moving the needle one millimeter for anyone, male or female, that is not already an active fan of women's basketball. You can wish for growth of the fandom all you want, but even hardcore men's fans don't tune in to watch the 1-16 games when their team isn't involved.

What I was trying to say is that most guys who aren't current fans, seeing the score reported somewhere, would be less likely to watch a future women's game. JMO

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom