St. Francis Post-Game Press | The Boneyard

St. Francis Post-Game Press

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Someone should ask the St Francis coach if on hindsight he played the dumbest game plan ever in NCAA history.

"Yeah, let's run with them and get them lots of shots." And while we're at it, let's set a record for the most 3 point shots ever in an NCAA tournament. "Nah, don't worry if you miss 'em all"

Reaction Score
Someone should ask the St Francis coach if on hindsight he played the dumbest game plan ever in NCAA history.

"Yeah, let's run with them and get them lots of shots." And while we're at it, let's set a record for the most 3 point shots ever in an NCAA tournament. "Nah, don't worry if you miss 'em all"
That's how they play. You can't change who you are at this point in the season, and why would you change what got you here in the first place? It's just a bad match-up for them. They don't have height and their style of play is the same that UConn prefers.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

If they adopted a radically different appraoch than what they were used to (Slow down) they still have no chance to win. They would have been another team that probably couldn't score more than 10 in the first half. The score could have been slightly closer but it's still a blowout. At least playing the way you are used to you can hope for a miracle and hit 75 % from 3 point land. It was fun and they can say they set a record too.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno really appears spent. Hard to keep his grin under control. And he also all but said the St. Francis team got what they deserved from trying to run the best running team in WCBB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't fault the coach for that at all. That's how they play, it got them this far, and they didn't have a chance in hell to win. So why not let them go down swinging?

I don’t fault him for that either, but he is responsible for the most poorly coached team UConn played this season. His team has no clue at all how to play defense and he never, ever called a TO to instruct his players how to stop a simple back pick or how to double the post down low. It resembled an NBA all-star game; didn’t see one set of hands up or one defensive stance the whole game. Those girls were embarrassed because they have no coaching whatsoever on defense. Very sad.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
St. Francis:

This guy went to the Holly Warlick School of Pressers. Kid's looking at him like if you cry on TV I will personally beat you. I wanted to have the world see how we play whether it was a good idea or not.

His players are impressive. But he should man up.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't fault the coach for that at all. That's how they play, it got them this far, and they didn't have a chance in hell to win. So why not let them go down swinging?
I would agree. He knew he had to take a different approach. Had they made more 3’s they could have looked a lot better. His strategy backfired and they obviously paid the price. I doubt he would have made very much of a difference by calling timeouts. He was facing too many unrelenting offensive weapons without the talent needed to change what they were experiencing.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the guy is supposed to do. Change the team's whole approach to basketball in one week? Tell them to hold the ball? Try to coach defense when it was clear that isn't something they emphasize (or perhaps they just aren't good at)? It's clear that what they do is very successful in the lower-level league where they play most of their games. It doesn't take a genius to know a higher level opponent. I just don't really get all this outrage and angst about the coaching decisions of an opponent. If the coach abused a player or throws the team under the bus, that's one thing. This isn't that, or anything resembling it.

Reaction Score
St. Francis plays a style that allowed them to win their conference, both regular season as well as tournament.. That was a HUGE accomplishment for the players, coach and program.

To denigrate them for losing badly to UConn is absurd. They had as much chance to compete in this game as the Christians against the lions. Hell, I give them credit for showing up. It was a total, ridiculous mismatch that I turned off after 6 minutes. If Geno were gloating I would be surprised and disappointed.

Reaction Score
I love this coach. Throw it all on the line and see if a crazy approach works. Sometimes the best failures are really big ones. You learn more from that than taking a conventional approach. He stepped up and took the blame and he didn't give a darn about the score. He was proud of his players and the way they competed--that had to be exhausting. It gets back to the old adage that it's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game. They went out and did their best. UConn went out and did their best. Both teams had fun too. UConn was just better. And I loved the players attitudes in the presser. It really shows how games can teach us things about life if we let them. It took much sacrifice and unselfishness for St. Francis to get to that game and get to participate in it. They aren't going to go feel sorry for themselves. They'll probably have a party.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kind of feel for him. He looks devastated.

Reaction Score
Interesting that the two players are more articulate than the coach.
Same could be said for our side. Coach has been rambling quite a bit the last few days in interviews.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
What was this guy thinking. Not only did he have his team ill prepared, he had absolutely no response when his stupid game plan blew up in his face. This guy is not earning his salary.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom