St. Francis coach feeds his team to the lions... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

St. Francis coach feeds his team to the lions...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That's what they do, every game. It's their thing.

Thing is, if they can play fast and pass well and hit 3s they can adopt the Villanova strategy with ease. Too facile an excuse for him to say that's the way we play. In the presser he's looking like he's about to cry and I bet the wheels are turning: If anyone back home gives a damn what am I going to tell them about being the wrong footnote in basketball history because of my strategy.

Reaction Score
with the dumbest strategy I’ve ever seen. If he a) thought they could run with UConn and win he’s an idiot or b) if he knew they couldn’t, but that’s the way they play then he betrayed his own players.

[Mod Edit. Please read the Board Rules]

You have to know how to slow the game down. Playing like UCF does not happen on a whim. If St. Francis had tried it, two things would have happened: 1). the score would have been lower, with UConn still winning; 2. The StF kids could have enjoyed it a lot less. Their coach made the right choice and probably knew exactly what would happen.

And I may be dense, but I do not see how sticking to their style -- riding the horse that got them there -- is "betraying his players" for crying out loud. They are not mindless dummies. They all knew what was going to happen. He told them to play their style, not someone else's , to have fun and enjoy the experience.

Completely agree. Bottom line is they had no chance and their coach knew it. There was no strategy here. Most if not all those players just possibly played their only NCAA tournament game of their lives, why would you force them into a style of play they aren't familiar or comfortable with, so they can maybe decrease they loss margin to 60 instead of 88 and then get no enjoyment from the experience? No, you play what you know, go out there enjoy yourself and make it a memorable experience and forget what UConn scores. It created a perfect storm for UConn to break records but that just made it more enjoyable to watch IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Partially because I'm a UConn fan, I immensely enjoyed watching Today's Game. Not because UConn won by 90, because both teams played up tempo game that was enjoyable to watch. I do wish St Francis had hit more of their three point shots so the score especially in the 1st half wasn't so lopsided. St Francis would have given many teams seeded 3 and lower problems with their style of play. Unfortunately for them they played a team that likes that style of play and have the conditioning to keep up with them. I suspect Louisville and ND would love to play against them. However, a team that is used to running half court offense for most of a game would have had problems.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom