Squirrels | The Boneyard

Squirrels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've had a bird feeder out for the last three or so years with no problems. For some reason, this year the squirrels are going wild on it, they emptied the thing (a squirrel-proof one!) within 3 days of me filling it. Piles of seed onto the ground by swinging it back and forth and digging with their paws through the wires, basically flipping the seeds out of the feeder by the pawful. I'm declaring nuclear war on them - any advice? I've seen hot pepper products - do those work?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've had the Squirrel Buster for years. The squirrels never penetrated the defenses and have pretty much given up.

Reaction Score
I've had a bird feeder out for the last three or so years with no problems. For some reason, this year the squirrels are going wild on it, they emptied the thing (a squirrel-proof one!) within 3 days of me filling it. Piles of seed onto the ground by swinging it back and forth and digging with their paws through the wires, basically flipping the seeds out of the feeder by the pawful. I'm declaring nuclear war on them - any advice? I've seen hot pepper products - do those work?

Havahart trap (i.e. target containment system) + high-powered bb gun.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd shoot them with a pellet gun. A head shot will take them out.
slice_zombieland_jesse_eisenberg_double-tap_t_shirt_01.jpg

Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I soak em with a hose and they don't seem to be too eager to go up there again.

Reaction Score
Now...I have a problem also. I have been having a real problem with woodpeckers making swiss cheese of the outside of my house. I have tried some deterrants which have done nothing..any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction Score
I'd shoot them with a pellet gun. A head shot will take them out.
If you can you can use a .22 with low velocity aka sub sonic ammo. I still have some but I have been having a hard time finding more to replenish my supply. This ammo travels below the speed of sound so you don't get the "crack" sound you would get with regular ammo.

Reaction Score
Would you hate the squirrels if we were undefeated? I love the squirrels, they're the most fun loving animals around. Let 'em live!

We get our peanuts, we have both gray and black alike and they get along wonderfully.

Reaction Score
Personally I prefer the squirrels to the stupid birds.

To get rid of the woodpecker get yourself some squirrels.

Reaction Score
Now...I have a problem also. I have been having a real problem with woodpeckers making swiss cheese of the outside of my house. I have tried some deterrants which have done nothing..any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have some experience here. Woodpeckers are pecking holes in your house for 1 of 3 reasons. Trying to find bugs to eat, mating calls or trying to make a spot to nest/roost. Seeing how there aren't many bugs out now and I doubt December is mating season, I'd guess your house is nice and warm and would make a nice resting spot for the winter.

When I had this issue, I mounted a big plastic owl on the edge of my roof, right near where they'd been pecking and I also got a few pie tins and nailed them to the side attached by a long string. The pans actually ended up making too much racket and I took them off, but I have to think the owl did the trick. It's been a couple years since there've been any new holes. Good luck.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have some experience here. Woodpeckers are pecking holes in your house for 1 of 3 reasons. Trying to find bugs to eat, mating calls or trying to make a spot to nest/roost. Seeing how there aren't many bugs out now and I doubt December is mating season, I'd guess your house is nice and warm and would make a nice resting spot for the winter.

When I had this issue, I mounted a big plastic owl on the edge of my roof, right near where they'd been pecking and I also got a few pie tins and nailed them to the side attached by a long string. The pans actually ended up making too much racket and I took them off, but I have to think the owl did the trick. It's been a couple years since there've been any new holes. Good luck.
I put up the plastic owl and birds would land on it and send selfies out to their friends.
00005b44_medium.jpeg

"On an owl..#badass"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Chipmunks did way more damage than squirrels this year ,they never were killed off with the mild winter.They ate through the roots of plants which then toppled over. Rat poison got them.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
As Waq stated...Squirrel Buster.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
How about suggestions for deterring raccoons that climb up the siding, break through the roof eave seams and climbing up along the roof line to find a comfy pace to sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom