Squirrels | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Squirrels

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Would you hate the squirrels if we were undefeated? I love the squirrels, they're the most fun loving animals around. Let 'em live!
Bunch of enablers. If the birds want the food let them get a pair.:cool: Birds know how to dive bomb predators such as hawks and cats near their nest so if they allow squirrels to eat at "their" feeders it just might mean they don't mind.

Love the commingling of problems. Yep get cats to keep the squirrels away. That will really help the birds!

Any solutions for bears at bird feeders?

Squirrel's psychotic persistence along with all the time in the world and their lack of human fear really work against us. Sure, you can shoot them or poison them or trap them but that only means you won the battle, you will never in the war.

At my old house my immediate neighborhood was overrun by squirrels. My neighbor was resolved to eliminate them with a pellet gun. Yet every time he killed a squirrel two more would pop up. There were 32 kills when the problem was finally solved. No he didn't get them all. He moved and the new neighbors didn't put up bird feeders. The population of squirrels returned to normal and the problem with rats ended.

So I wired that one too, and the problem never came back. Those two poles were there for at least 20 years without any more squirrel issues. Took them down when we moved the driveway about 5 or 6 years ago. To my knowledge I only actually killed one of them with my little deterrent in all those years.

Very humane treatment of the critters. Won't satisfy the above's need for blood lust.
Do you have a squirrel-mane method of getting rid of the human problem that plagues most of us. I won't accept Rodney riding pine as a solution.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Once a year, usually August or September, a red tailed hawk will take up residence in my yard for about a week or 10 days. When he leaves, their aren't any more chipmunks.
Need a Fisher. Take out squirrels, chipmunks, the neighbors chickens that eat the seed in my garden, the neighbors noisy kid and one of those little lap dogs with the pink bow in its hair. Yep get you a Fisher.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I never understood this have-a-heart trap thing. If the critter stays in his domain, then we are all friends. But if said critter decides to cross that DMZ into my domain? Verily, a biblical wrath of critter dismemberment and death shall fall upon thy rodent head liketh a ton of bricks.

Your house is in his natural domain. There is no getting around that fact.

Regardless, it is unlawful to trap and relocate a wild animal. I have unknowingly done so a few times, and feel terrible that I have done so. Unfortunately, the little guys have not returned, so I never had the opportunity to apologize.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Love him. I've watched that bit about 25 times and laugh every time. I grew up in an Italian neighborhood and the guy next to us would pour antifreeze in tuna fish cans!
Yea me too. I believe I am right behind you on total views. When I first watched him "Aren't You Embarrassed" I had tears rolling down my eyes laughing. When he talked about family I was amazed. I thought for sure he was a neighbor of mine or a brother I never met. Identical image of me growing up. Well he is from Chicago and me CT. Amazing the similarities. I.E. Vicks vapor rub...LOL

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Now...I have a problem also. I have been having a real problem with woodpeckers making swiss cheese of the outside of my house. I have tried some deterrants which have done nothing..any suggestions would be appreciated.
Pellet or bb gun. Take fishing line and hang the carcass for their friends to see. Works with crows on farms. They get the message.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
My dad used to euthanize woodchucks by putting the trap in a bag and hooking it up to the car exhaust..... I'm a catch and release kind of guy though.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
30 years or so back, my wife put up several bird feeders that she could watch out the kitchen window. They were mounted on metal poles that the squirrels climbed up without even slowing down. I replaced the metal poles with heavy-wall PVC pipe that I thought was too big in diameter for them to reach far enough around to get a grip. HAH!

Tried greasing the poles. They ate the grease off.

Drilled 2 small holes in one pole, about 4" apart, 5 feet or so above ground level. Dug a shallow trench across the lawn and ran a couple wires to the pole from the house. Attached the wires to a 12 volt bell transformer.Wires ran up the inside of the pole and one came out each of the two holes. The stripped end of each wire was held in place by a stainless hose clamp around the pole. So I now had the two electrified straps around the pole, just far enough apart that there was no way they could get up the pole without touching both at the same time.

It was kinda fun watching them scurry up the pole and do a backflip off the pole as they reached the contacts. At first, they would get up, and after wandering around dazed for a few seconds, they would try again. Sometimes, 3 or 4 times. But soon, all the squirrel action moved to the 2nd pole.

Then I put two clamps on the other pole. No wires, just the clamps. The sight of them was enough to keep the little bastidges away, at least for a while. It was a couple weeks before I saw a squirrel in the bird feeder on the 2nd pole again. Don't know if eventually one tried, or a new guy moved into the neighborhood, but once my bluff was called, it was only a day or two before they all joined the party.

So I wired that one too, and the problem never came back. Those two poles were there for at least 20 years without any more squirrel issues. Took them down when we moved the driveway about 5 or 6 years ago. To my knowledge I only actually killed one of them with my little deterrent in all those years.

This is a man's work right here. Well played.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you go with the squirrel buster, I would spring for the adjustable tension. The standard closes on the bigger birds like Blue Jays.

Reaction Score
I like the Yankee Flipper. But I love squirrels too much to actually do this to them, lol...

I hate squirrels but if I saw that I think I would have given it some seeds just out of respect for the effort and endurance.

Reaction Score
We give the squirrels peanuts. And they bother the seed less. It doesn't work completely but they prefer the peanuts to the seed except sunflower seeds which drives them crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom