Spring Game Second Impressions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Spring Game Second Impressions

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You gotta love the Boneyard.

Somehow Friday night is better because an individual person could attend on this date.

Sure it eliminates entire counties of wealthy people - but it's better for one guy this given year.

It also eliminated some families. Saturday during the day allowed young kids to use the bounce houses and other stuff like that. It was a small but important part of crafting the next generation of Husky fans. I hope they return it to Saturday afternoon next year...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It also eliminated some families. Saturday during the day allowed young kids to use the bounce houses and other stuff like that. It was a small but important part of crafting the next generation of Husky fans. I hope they return it to Saturday afternoon next year...

Friday night is so good for spring games everyone does is. Oh wait.... that's wrong. No one does it.

Reaction Score
This was by far the most positive I ever ever felt after a spring game. I loved the spring game that Lutrus took over but it was also the game where the wheels feel off Dennis Brown. On Friday night, the play calling was great. There were screens, read options, reverses, flea flickers, and, Nostical take note, passes between the hash marks! You never knew what was coming next. How many times have we said that about a UConn offense?

The uptempo offense was a huge success. The offense was almost mistake free. They moved quickly and understood their assignments, I think it really helped their focus.

The defense is still getting a feel for the 3-3-5. IMHO, the problems were mostly scheme and recognition --not personnel. I also don't believe we showed our hand in terms of the variety of blitzes that we will see in the fall. My guess is the defense will be just as unpredictable as the offense.

As to when it should be held? Doesn't matter to me, I will be there.

Reaction Score
Anyone notice for the 1st time them using the 4 quadrant call playing placards?

Funny photo boards used to call signals from sideline

I'm kinda a noob to seeing live UConn football. My 3rd yr as a ST holder. Renewed and upgraded to preferred on friday. Pissed, I bought a 2roads lil heaven can and it was stolen while buying my ST. Oh well.

Did they ever use the placards before diaco? I know they use them in up-tempo offenses on other teams. I always thought, why isn't UConn doing it?

Glad they are now.

Reaction Score
I like the Friday night game. Too many kid activities on Saturdays.

It was fun to see a wide open UConn offense. I've always felt system is more important than personel everywhere but at the elite schools. MAC schools light up scoreboard against evenly matched and lower rung P5 schools.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This was by far the most positive I ever ever felt after a spring game. I loved the spring game that Lutrus took over but it was also the game where the wheels feel off Dennis Brown. On Friday night, the play calling was great. There were screens, read options, reverses, flea flickers, and, Nostical take note, passes between the hash marks! You never knew what was coming next. How many times have we said that about a UConn offense?

The uptempo offense was a huge success. The offense was almost mistake free. They moved quickly and understood their assignments, I think it really helped their focus.

The defense is still getting a feel for the 3-3-5. IMHO, the problems were mostly scheme and recognition --not personnel. I also don't believe we showed our hand in terms of the variety of blitzes that we will see in the fall. My guess is the defense will be just as unpredictable as the offense.

Trying...not...to...LIKE...a...@Palatine... post...

Oh it. It deserves a LIKE.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
They have streamed it in the past. I would think the local hardcore fans would still go in person even if if was streamed.

Regarding Lashlee, he won't be here when RE steps down. If things go well, Lashlee will be here only one or two years. RE is going nowhere in two years. It's not like RE is 70. I would guess RE is thinking 5-10 years. Lashlee will be long gone. But, maybe Lashlee would come back at that point. But, Who knows where UConn football will be by then.
This may be correct but then why would he take a pay cut AND a downgrade in program status and come to UConn......that's what I can't fathom without there being something more agreed to behind the scenes.....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Couldn't help but smile watching BS's interview. Happy to see him having fun again, it's clear he's been through hell and back the last couple years.
All three were smart and well spoken. I really get the sense that there is a great energy with this team. Randy has them buying in. So important.

Reaction Score
This may be correct but then why would he take a pay cut AND a downgrade in program status and come to UConn.that's what I can't fathom without there being something more agreed to behind the scenes.....
I agree with you and I do believe there is something in the works for the future, but to play devil's advocate, I think it's reasonable to say that getting out from behind Malzahn's shadow is an important and necessary career move if he wants to advance further. He has complete control of the offense here and will be able to own the results, as opposed to working with a system that isn't his.

Reaction Score
They have streamed it in the past. I would think the local hardcore fans would still go in person even if if was streamed.

Regarding Lashlee, he won't be here when RE steps down. If things go well, Lashlee will be here only one or two years. RE is going nowhere in two years. It's not like RE is 70. I would guess RE is thinking 5-10 years. Lashlee will be long gone. But, maybe Lashlee would come back at that point. But, Who knows where UConn football will be by then.

Agreed on Lashlee. If things go well in the next 2 years offensively, he will be the rare guy who becomes a head coach at a higher profile school than the one he was last an assistant at.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
This may be correct but then why would he take a pay cut AND a downgrade in program status and come to UConn.that's what I can't fathom without there being something more agreed to behind the scenes.....
So you think Lashlee will wait 5-10 years so he can be HC at UConn? This is a guy who was talked about as being a head coach last year. He is here because he got feedback that he needed to coach with someone other than Malzahn. If he does well at UConn, it's hard to believe he will stay beyond a year or two. Hey, I hope he does, but it doesn't seem likely.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

What were your thoughts in Bisack?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If we win 7 games and/or move our offense into the top 60, I could see him getting several OC offers in the SEC or anywhere in the P5 and he will be hard pressed to turn them down because it will be at quadruple his current salary. Grimes is sure to follow.

I hope Corey Edsall is soaking up 110% of this knowledge.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score

You forgot to mention the best burgers you've ever eaten at a tailgate.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
It does not matter what day we have this game on. Even on the best weather days, there has not been more than 4-5 thousand in attendance.
Guess what...you know who really like to play Friday nights? The players.
We're gonna biitch no matter what they do. It's the Boneyard, it's a requirement.

Reaction Score

So great to see a positive post from palatine. So it must be true, we are coming back as a program. I have waited the last 6 years for this post!!!!

Reaction Score
Bisack looked competent back there. The game was not too big for him. He made good reads and for the most part good throws. As someone said, since a part of the offense is QB runs, which is impossible with red shirts on, both QBs get an incomplete.

I do think the fumble in the end zone was Bisack's fault. It was suppose to be a shovel pass but he didn't get enough depth and turned it into a botched hand off.

As for the hamburgers, Scott does a good job but Al did a nice job pinch hitting.

Reaction Score
Nostical take note, passes between the hash marks!
No kidding. And one in stride over the middle to streaking tight end Tommy Meyers. That was a play we've been screaming about for years Pal. The last time we tried a pass to a tight end over the middle like that was with Ryan Griffin, 42 games ago. I was delirious seeing a misdirection play, a bubble screen with--two--other receivers blocking out there, allowing Beals to actually make some big yardage. The young talent at RB and receiver were both exciting to watch and excited to be here running this offense. Dixon looked like a star in the making.--and he was also the guy fielding the punts. Oh boy! But no one exemplified the palpable change in this team's attitude more than BS. He was absolutely giddy in his post-game comments. So here's what we know: the coaches are better, the players are looser, and the system looks much more P-5-ier. My lingering concerns are with the D-Backfield, O-Line and kicking game. Hopefully, we'll be even better in the fall. I remain worried about our field goal efficiency with Tarbutt injury prone and and Rishell still trying to master his craft. I hope my fears are unfounded. The kicker is the 3rd most important member of the offense.

Reaction Score
Friday might not have been bad choice from recruiting perspective. Reading today that BC, Rutgers and Syracuse all had spring games on this Saturday and no thanks to ESPN constant promotion of P5 conferences, we are less attractive than those schools to many recruits due to our conference. Can only be at one place at a time and having it on Friday recruits could go to our spring game Friday and then BC or perhaps Rutgers on Saturday so we probably were able to get more of our top target recruits at our spring game on Friday than if we had it on Saturday.

Reaction Score
I was in the air, so all I have to go on are the reports and handful of clips that have been posted. Those of us concerned about the roster can be at least a little encouraged by the number of young players who showed well. The 2016 class may have been the only good thing that Diaco brought to the program. Hopkins, Vickers, Skanes, Dixon, Herring, DeGeorge, Leone and Coyle are all potential contributors.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
No kidding. And one in stride over the middle to streaking tight end Tommy Meyers. That was a play we've been screaming about for years Pal. The last time we tried a pass to a tight end over the middle like that was with Ryan Griffin, 42 games ago. I was delirious seeing a misdirection play, a bubble screen with--two--other receivers blocking out there, allowing Beals to actually make some big yardage. The young talent at RB and receiver were both exciting to watch and excited to be here running this offense. Dixon looked like a star in the making.--and he was also the guy fielding the punts. Oh boy! But no one exemplified the palpable change in this team's attitude more than BS. He was absolutely giddy in his post-game comments. So here's what we know: the coaches are better, the players are looser, and the system looks much more P-5-ier. My lingering concerns are with the D-Backfield, O-Line and kicking game. Hopefully, we'll be even better in the fall. I remain worried about our field goal efficiency with Tarbutt injury prone and and Rishell still trying to master his craft. I hope my fears are unfounded. The kicker is the 3rd most important member of the offense.
Those stacked bubble screens have been killing us for years. USF and Houston both do it super well. It can be effective by using all those blockers or setting up onr on one on the other sideline. It also hides oline problems and QB arm problems.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My second impression besides the crisp pace was our receivers made some nice catches out there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom