Spring game 4/21 @ 7 pm (Parking lots open @ Noon) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Spring game 4/21 @ 7 pm (Parking lots open @ Noon)

Reaction Score
More fromFuller w/ some stats and other thoughts:

PASSING: Bryant Shirreffs 19 of 33, 310 yards, 2 TDs; Brandon Bisack 19 of 29, 222 yards, 1 TD

RUSHING: Ja'Kevious Vickers 9-54, Nate Hopkins 15-50 3 TDs, Arkeel Newsome 11-35

RECEIVING: Quayvon Skanes 7-75, Keyion Dixon 5-94, Tyraiq Beals 6-95 2 TDs, Hergy Mayala 3-111 1TD, Aaron McLean 3-57

TACKLES: Tyler Coyle 8, Tre Bell 6, Nazir Williams 6, Foley Fatukasi 6, Junior Joseph 5, Tahj Herring-Wilson 5, Vontae Diggs 5, Marshe Terry 5

SACKS: Fatukasi 2, Cole Ormsby, Cam Stapleton, AJ Garson

Good to see another former CT high school star play well tonight, red shirt freshman Tyler Coyle with 8 tackles.

Reaction Score
Even Edsall mentioned in the post game that in a hurry up offense you have to wait for the refs to place the ball down, which slowed them down at times. Wow most impressive debut. To me it looks as though they played with a lot of confidence tonight which is also a step forward, because under Booby red pants they were hesitant, tentative and scared.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So based on the stats and observations it seems like the following kids didn't have much of an impact. Maybe the ball just didn't come their way or maybe it's a sign of things.

-in a game without carrezola, Murphy, Brouse, Freeborn, Okounam and Garson didn't register a whole lot of tackles. Tom Tabor did have 3 tackles however.

-gilmartin and Hahn didn't register much on D for tackles either. Surprisely neither did Britton, although he got hurt.

-haven't read anything about shafenacker, Campbell or cespedes making an impression.

-TE position didn't get targeted very much. Not much for Bloom or Myers. Holman?

-At Wr looks like Mason Donaldson who had been making his way into spring camp videos didn't have a catch. Same with Tyler Davis.

-Jason Thompson didn't seem to get too many touches.

All of the above is what I have pieced together from other acccounts- feel free to correct me or share your thoughts.

Reaction Score
@exit4....So based on the stats and observations it seems like the following kids didn't have much of an impact. Maybe the ball just didn't come their way or maybe it's a sign of things. I wouldn't read too much into the spring game stats. I think the staff was trying to get some good film on everyone as they continue to evaluate. I will say this, there was an exciting buzz in the stadium last night. Lashlee's offense moves fast and once guys start to settle in, it's going to be exciting to watch. They are going to spread the ball around and make the defense play the WHOLE field.

-gilmartin and Hahn didn't register much on D for tackles either. Surprisely neither did Britton, although he got hurt. I was very impressed with Hahn. He's big, athletic and nearly picked off a couple slip screens from his safety position. Britton was very disruptive until he left the field. Gilmartin didn't do anything that stood out but he'll be in the mix.

-haven't read anything about shafenacker, Campbell or cespedes making an impression. I'll speak on the OL as a whole (both groups). I thought the pass pro was pretty good. There were a couple sacks but mostly due to coverage. I don't recall, defenders being unblocked in pass pro. Run blocking is still a work in progress. I thought it was better in the second half and allowed Vickers and Hopkins to get into the second level.

-TE position didn't get targeted very much. Not much for Bloom or Myers. Holman? The TEs were targeted a few times, they weren't completed much. On the targets to Myers, he was open and overthrown. The good news....Myers looks healthy and I love the energy he plays with. Bloom was targeted a few times. He dropping two that I recall, but made one sweet one-handed catch and got upfield. I don't recall seeing Holman targeted.

-At Wr looks like Mason Donaldson who had been making his way into spring camp videos didn't have a catch. Same with Tyler Davis. The WR corp has a chance to be very good and very involved in the offense. I was very impressed with their ability to stretch the defense and make plays. Mayala, Beals, and Skanes can all get yards after the catch. McLean and Davis are huge targets and will be involved, along with Coney. I don't believe Donaldson played. To me, it looked like he was the player in a walking boot on the sideline. All the WR were targeted and made plays. Davis looked very comfortable playing WR and had a few nice receptions in the second half.

-Jason Thompson didn't seem to get too many touches. Thompson played a lot and saw quit a few plays with the first offense. He was the first RB in after Newsome to start the game. He was involved in both the run and pass game. It was pretty clear that the staff likes Hopkins in goal line situations. He and Vickers had some nice runs in the second half. Newsome probably saw the least game action of the RBs. But, he did has a nice blitz pickup on a pass play in the second half. RE got on him about keeping his head up, but he stopped the blitzer from getting to the QB (I believe it was Stapleton blitzing off the edge). When Williams arrives, there will be a lot of competition among this group for playing time.

A few final thoughts....

I liked what I saw from Sherriffs and Bisack. This team can win with Sherriffs. He looked very comfortable running the uptempo system. He made progression reads in the pass game and because the pass pro was pretty good, stayed in the pocket, as well. There were a few nice plays where he avoided a defender to extend plays, as well. The deep ball (although he did lay one in perfectly to Mayala on the 80-yd TD) is still his Achilles heel. I also felt that some of the sacks that were blown dead (red jersey), he would have avoided if play was live. Bisack runs the offense well, but I don't think he wins the job. He's not as athletic as Sherriffs, but he can sling it. He forced a few balls into coverage and missed a few opportunities deep, but he competes. He did have a bad fumble at the mesh point (w/ Hopkins) that the defense recovered for a TD. Sherriffs heads into fall as the QB, in my opinion. Pindell, Washington, and McAfee will all come in and try to take it. I think all three will make a strong push.

If the OL continues to develop and improve, this team will make huge strides this year.

I was also very impressed with Will Rishell (QB/K) on XPs and FGs. Great to see a kid who was never really given the opportunity under the last staff to have an impact as a RS SR. He pushed a 47-yd FG left, but it had the distance. He has big shoes to fill, but seems to have the leg and stones to do it. Kicking may be a position the staff looks to add depth, via transfer or walk-on.

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I was probably most impressed with Shirreffs ability to step up into the pocket when he was feeling pressure. He did this on a number of occasions, and then found a receiver downfield. He still throws a shaky deep ball that is often times over the wrong shoulder of the WR, but he looked a lot better.

Reaction Score
I was probably most impressed with Shirreffs ability to step up into the pocket when he was feeling pressure. He did this on a number of occasions, and then found a receiver downfield. He still throws a shaky deep ball that is often times over the wrong shoulder of the WR, but he looked a lot better.

... because he knew he wasn't going to get his clock cleaned w/ the red jersey on.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
... because he knew he wasn't going to get his clock cleaned w/ the red jersey on.

Obviously, but I still think it shows a conscious effort to stay in the pocket. He's taken a beating from Edsall in dropping down to second team and w/ some of RE's comments to the press. He's a tough kid and knows he needs to change, and I think he's doing it.

Reaction Score
Not only did the offense impress, but the visuals alone suggest more Belichick hoodie and less Bobby Crantaloons. Good mojo.

18033075_1344677138945435_5153888361738230061_n.jpg

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
So based on the stats and observations it seems like the following kids didn't have much of an impact. Maybe the ball just didn't come their way or maybe it's a sign of things.

-in a game without carrezola, Murphy, Brouse, Freeborn, Okounam and Garson didn't register a whole lot of tackles. Tom Tabor did have 3 tackles however.

-gilmartin and Hahn didn't register much on D for tackles either. Surprisely neither did Britton, although he got hurt.

-haven't read anything about shafenacker, Campbell or cespedes making an impression.

-TE position didn't get targeted very much. Not much for Bloom or Myers. Holman?

-At Wr looks like Mason Donaldson who had been making his way into spring camp videos didn't have a catch. Same with Tyler Davis.

-Jason Thompson didn't seem to get too many touches.

All of the above is what I have pieced together from other acccounts- feel free to correct me or share your thoughts.

not sure on tackle totals for Hahn but he did have an impact, mult pass break ups and almost a pick six. I thought he played pretty well.

Cespedes is absolutely massive now, I kept my eye on him a little bit to see how he did. nothing great but not bad either.

TE were targeted a few times, both bloom and Meyers had some nice catches but a few drops as well. I would say they were targeted much more than usual in our previous Offenses. (at one point, im fairly sure it was tommy Meyers mom, a woman started jumping up and down after he made a catch over the middle yelling "they threw to the tight end over the middle!" over and over lol)

Tyler Davis did ok, I think he was targeted maybe 5/6 times. made two catches I think but had opportunity for at least 1/2 more. I think they may try and work him into the offense because he is going to be such a miss match for DB's to cover size wise.

finally I know the stats don't look great but I know he converted on 2 separate 3rd downs for good chunks of yardage, he ran extremely hard and was pretty quick. a lot of people I was sitting around made comments on how well he ran so it may not have translated on the stat sheet but I was impressed. all and all I was pretty happy with what we saw from the Offense and I think we have a lot to look forward to.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Did anyone else see RE chewing out Omar Fortt? he had a late hit on tommy meyers late in the game that was well out of bounds. right after the ref was giving it to him Edsall walked up from the defensive backfield and basically barked at him on and off for the next few plays, pretty demonstrative a few different times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom