Spring game 4/21 @ 7 pm (Parking lots open @ Noon) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Spring game 4/21 @ 7 pm (Parking lots open @ Noon)

Reaction Score
I don't love it. I work until 5pm in New Haven. By the time I'm good to go and beat traffic, it's 6pm. In April. At night. It's not gonna be warm and what then, I tailgate for like 45 minutes?

I guess it's cool for the Little League crowd but meh. I might skip it this year.

Reaction Score
Why are they not doing this on a Saturday Afternoon?
Exactly. April can be cold a raw at night. The afternoon's however can be mellow and sunny, the first nice rays after a long winter, so much better. Personally I think this is nuts, but I will be there unless traveling.

Btw, they will hold your seats from the previous year until 4/27, so if you want to have a look-see before writing the check or your card number, this will work.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
This stinks for us out-of-staters. There is no way I'm going to make it down from Boston for a spring game on a Friday night. It was great bringing my kids and having them run on the field after the game. I'm pretty bummed by this announcement, but if attendance is better then so be it. I hope the game is webcast so I can watch.

Reaction Score
If their big concern is avoiding student sporting events on the weekend why not just hold it Saturday NIGHT instead of Friday night? At least that way your not fighting the ridiculous traffic. Holding it at 5 or 6pm on a Saturday beats 7pm on a Friday night.

Reaction Score
Some folks will complain no matter what is done.

I think this gets more high school teams in for some spring ball action instead of missing because of their own spring games.
I also think we will see some former players there as well, which will be nice since they were displaced the past few years by FHCBD
Do you have proof that Bob Diaco turned away former players?

Reaction Score
4k_Y2t_Lr.gif

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of the new time either. It's been a family tradition to pack up the kids and bring them to the daytime festivities at The Rent. Hit the bounce house with my youngest, and everyone enjoys the sun.

I'm guessing the bounce house will not be rockin at 7pm...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if the window the NCAA allows for spring practice closes that Friday. That's the only thing I can think of that makes sense.

I now need to determine whether it would be better to take a half day or full day off from work to drive up alone. Six co-workers who were in when they expected it to be a Saturday have bowed out already.

I'm dying to see what the new regime can do but a Saturday afternoon would have been perfect.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
AD Dave? You screwed the pooch on this. AD Dave? AD DAVE, Over?
Out.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if the window the NCAA allows for spring practice closes that Friday. That's the only thing I can think of that makes sense.

It's not that... there are other Spring Games that take place after the 21st.

More likely just a function of the practice schedule that the new staff has mapped out.

UConn's first spring practice is slated for March 21 (UConn's Spring Recess runs from 3/11 to 3/18 - not including the Saturday before and Sunday after those dates)

They get a max of 15 spring practice days, including the Spring Game. 4 hours a day - no more than 20 hours a week.

Only 12 practices can have contact, and the first two must be non-contact. Of those 12, only eight can involve full-fledged tackling. Of those eight, only three can devote more than half their time to 11-on-11 scrimmaging, and the Spring Game counts as one of those three. So teams only get two pure practices of 11-on-11 scrimmaging.

Makes no difference to me but can see the angst for out of staters and traditionists.

Reaction Score
What's your point?
That the Yard Goats schedule could not possibly have had any influence. Isn't that obvious? Given the fact that the Yard Goats in the early days would draw very well on a warm April Saturday afternoon and that could affect blue-white attendance if UConn had played on a conflicting Saturday afternoon, your original post wasn't far fetched. Guess you were trying to be facetious though.

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, the time change is geared towards getting the students interested in going. Friday night drinking at the Rent followed by more drinking is much more appealing than waking up early on a Saturday morning for a scrimmage.

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, the time change is geared towards getting the students interested in going. Friday night drinking at the Rent followed by more drinking is much more appealing than waking up early on a Saturday morning for a scrimmage.

Even fewer students will attend. They aren't leaving campus on a Friday night, in the spring, to go to a scrimmage just to drink. They can do that on campus.

I've watched the student section routinely empty out (other than big games) in the 3rd quarter, most aren't there for the football, but the atmosphere. The spring game atmosphere isn't a party like regular games can be.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Damn this sucks. I finally convinced the wife that the girls were old enough to try out going to the Spring game. She finally agreed and I was hoping to use it as a trial run to take them to a game in the fall. Looks like it's going to take more convincing that bringing them to a game in the fall is a good idea. Might be tougher considering the game in the fall will cost money for tix!

Really bummed on this announcement but it is what it is. Can't wait for Spring practice to begin

Reaction Score
If their big concern is avoiding student sporting events on the weekend why not just hold it Saturday NIGHT instead of Friday night? At least that way your not fighting the ridiculous traffic. Holding it at 5 or 6pm on a Saturday beats 7pm on a Friday night.
The Foundation/Health Center Gala is Sat. night, 4/22.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom