Spring Game 2019 no more | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Spring Game 2019 no more

Reaction Score
No bigger Edsall apologista than I but this may be a case of overthinking things. The spring game garners media coverage just as we are coming out of hibernation. Don’t like this decision at all. If the program had some sustained success rather than six years of suckitude 7 or 8 k would show. I’d love to see the research that backs the improved growth and recovery claim.

Reaction Score
I think the multi year NCAA lacrosse championships and fixing the sub-soil below turf might have something to do with it...

Might return when they're over and are good again
Other than Heinz Field is there another natural grass field with as many issue as the Rent? Never had these issues at Memorial. Gross mismanagement by the State

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I'll miss it, but an open practice will take care of that for me.

Reaction Score
2,000 people showed up this year on a day with near-perfect weather conditions for mid April... It was good for an extra day of tailgating, but I'll survive. Really not a big deal.

That's the problem. Most of the programs where there is "high" spring game attendance exhibit strong support for the program all year........they don't go just to tailgate.......although I'm not against tailgating.

Everybody saves money by not attending......the school and the fans.

Probably some NCAA regulation against it.......but its too bad a Spring scrimmage can't be held against another school.....home and home scrimmages against Rutgers, Syracuse, etc on alternating years.

You really don't learn too much from playing against your teammates in a scrimmage. You pretty much know what each D and O is about.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I am hopeful that UConn is doing this for strategic reasons and not financial. Chances are it is both.

Reaction Score
I am hopeful that UConn is doing this for strategic reasons and not financial. Chances are it is both.

If they were strategic everyone would do it. I’m guessing when they say they want to enhance the student athlete experience they’re talking about concluding spring practice right before Spring Break starts. This is a cost cutting move plain and simple.

Reaction Score
That's the problem. Most of the programs where there is "high" spring game attendance exhibit strong support for the program all year...they don't go just to tailgate..although I'm not against tailgating.

Everybody saves money by not attending.the school and the fans.

Probably some NCAA regulation against it..but its too bad a Spring scrimmage can't be held against another school.....home and home scrimmages against Rutgers, Syracuse, etc on alternating years.

You really don't learn too much from playing against your teammates in a scrimmage. You pretty much know what each D and O is about.
I'm not sure I understand your point. You're saying scrimmages against your own team isn't exciting, but people should go to watch regardless of whether there's tailgating? I think you'd lose 50% or more of the handful of people that have been going to the spring game if you took away tailgating.

Plenty of people (myself included) have gone to the spring game to simply enjoy a spring day of grilling and beverages, with a side dish of live football. I really don't think that's a problem.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I always liked it as a chance to stay connected. Not for nothing... it gives the diehards a taste, a chance to see how the team is doing and all that. I love that we get a chance to see a walk on tear it up.

If we have to drive up to campus and try to park and deal with that mess to see something, I am a lot less likely to do it. That's why I don't have basketball tix, because getting out there and back is a mess.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reality check: This is bad.

It’s not bad because it cost some diehards a chance to tailgate.

It’s bad because they are so broke they can’t afford to even allow themselves some publicity.

A bunch of people got mad at me when I pointed out they have become a non-entity even 24 hours after the spring game.

This is just further evidence they aren’t trying and prefer to pay bloated salaries to useless administrators than competing.

We are where we are for a reason. Maybe stop making excuses for people and start holding them accountable.

If they aren’t trying to sell the program - why are they wasting money on the infrastructure that should be responsible for selling the program?

They are on the road to being outdrawn by the AA affiliate of the Colorado Rockies. If you added up the entire Yard Goats’ front office salaries it is less than what an Administrative National Championship costs.

P Zero.

Reaction Score
You can spin it however you want, but from the outside looking in the optics on this move are bad. Spring Games are important recruiting tools, and if done properly they are a great way to engage with your fans during the off season. Do a great job and maybe some of those who attended return as paying customers in the Fall. With program support trending in the wrong direction, potentially alienating the segment of your fan base that supports the team by actually attending games in person seems ill conceived. Cut costs elsewhere IMO.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Has anyone looked around to compile a list of schools w/o a spring game?

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
This screams small time.

Indeed. Being left behind in conference realignment was the start of our path to small time.

Reaction Score
That's the problem. Most of the programs where there is "high" spring game attendance exhibit strong support for the program all year...they don't go just to tailgate..although I'm not against tailgating.

Everybody saves money by not attending.the school and the fans.

Probably some NCAA regulation against it..but its too bad a Spring scrimmage can't be held against another school.....home and home scrimmages against Rutgers, Syracuse, etc on alternating years.

Commonly done in other sports. In college soccer for instance, the spring exhibition or scrimmage games are almost more fun than the regular season. And in exhibition/scrimmage games you can play anyone in any division and not even college teams. I would love to see Yale and UConn play a controlled scrimmage in the spring for instance. One year I DID see Yale play Union in a controlled scrimmage before the fall season.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Did that guy ever get his corn-hole game?

Reaction Score
I guess Wahington is psychic and just started missing spring games 2 years early.

Reaction Score
You can spin it however you want, but from the outside looking in the optics on this move are bad. Spring Games are important recruiting tools, and if done properly they are a great way to engage with your fans during the off season. Do a great job and maybe some of those who attended return as paying customers in the Fall. With program support trending in the wrong direction, potentially alienating the segment of your fan base that supports the team by actually attending games in person seems ill conceived. Cut costs elsewhere IMO.

Right out of the blocks, in one of the articles I read, the first reason RE noted was "the change in the recruiting calendar." Does anyone understand the actual impact?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom