Spring Game 2019 no more | The Boneyard

Spring Game 2019 no more

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Rent at the Rent?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I thought they should have stated they will offer a scrimmage open to the public if weather cooperates on the practice field. If weather is bad, then fan fest.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I just don't understand this. It doesn't have to be a choice between the spring game or the youth clinic/fan appreciation event.

In fact, it actually seems like a great opportunity to even combine all 3 together or maybe space them out throughout the offseason in order to stay relevant in the news cycle. This is just moronic.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I just don't understand this. It doesn't have to be a choice between the spring game or the youth clinic/fan appreciation event.

In fact, it actually seems like a great opportunity to even combine all 3 together or maybe space them out throughout the offseason in order to stay relevant in the news cycle. This is just moronic.

Plus they just took a guaranteed W off the board!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Can someone explain what the specific advantage is to moving all spring practice up by a month? I'm reading about the recovery thing, but that doesn't seem to be enough of a good reason for scrapping your whole plan and cancelling a spring game

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you think about it, the turnout for the Spring game is abysmal, at least by big program standards. Still it just seems like a bad PR move when you are struggling to get/maintain fans.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Can someone explain what the specific advantage is to moving all spring practice up by a month? I'm reading about the recovery thing, but that doesn't seem to be enough of a good reason for scrapping your whole plan and cancelling a spring game

My guess - cost cutting move. But Edsall will spin it that this is better for his kids so they don't have practice interfering with school late in the semester. They should reconsider and have a scrimmage/open practice somewhere on campus.

Reaction Score
1. The Spring game was much less of a game than it used to be anyway.

2. I defer to coach on getting through spring practices earlier. I can certainly understand his reasoning. And there is no reason to rent the Rent for a Spring game in Connecticut the first week in March.

3. The event will give folks the chance to tailgate, which is what most people were coming for anyway.

Reaction Score
I’m not either but it’s just one more step to small time.

Yep. The only real explanation is they don't want to foot the costs of putting the game on. Moving practices up is just a nice cover -- the bigger programs don't seem to be concerned by it.

The situation continues to deteriorate . . .

Reaction Score
Yep. The only real explanation is they don't want to foot the costs of putting the game on. Moving practices up is just a nice cover -- the bigger programs don't seem to be concerned by it.

The situation continues to deteriorate . . .

The vast majority of the bigger programs are done with spring practice, and their spring game, before we are (and by their spring break). We couldn't do it on that schedule because of our weather originally. Now that they practice indoors, only the timing of the Spring Game -- which can realistically only be so early in Hartford -- kept us from moving the schedule up.

Reaction Score
The vast majority of the bigger programs are done with spring practice, and their spring game, before we are (and by their spring break). We couldn't do it on that schedule because of our weather originally. Now that they practice indoors, only the timing of the Spring Game -- which can realistically only be so early in Hartford -- kept us from moving the schedule up.

ESPNU Radio was covering spring games the week before, of and after ours. I'm not sure you're correct on this one.

Reaction Score
ESPNU Radio was covering spring games the week before, of and after ours. I'm not sure you're correct on this one.

There were some as late as ours. Most -- and almost all where the weather is warmer -- get it done with earlier.

Reaction Score
April 14 and 21 were by far the two most popular Saturdays, even through SEC, ACC and Big 12 country.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It's totally a cost cutting move but not sure it's a big deal. It was nice to have an excuse to tailgate but not a huge turnout and we are in a critical financial phase. If this move keeps us afloat a little longer or frees up some cash for other things, then I'm not bothered at all.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No more night games. Turing on the lights is pricey.

Reaction Score
I think the multi year NCAA lacrosse championships and fixing the sub-soil below turf might have something to do with it...

Might return when they're over and are good again

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom