Spread those minutes out Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Spread those minutes out Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Damn, the BY. SMH. UCONN is 6-0 winning every game by an avg of 37 points. And we got people on here whining about minutes.

dos equis facepalm GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World

What happens if you need substitutes who haven't played? Always a possibility. They should get more minutes when games are complete blowouts, like Villanova.

Reaction Score
There is no way UConn's second unit next year will be good enough to be ranked or a third unit that could beat most Division 1 teams. That has been said about other UConn freshmen before and was proven wrong. That is overestimating UConn's bench and underestimating other Division 1 teams, imo. I know next season's freshmen appear to be special but they will have a lot to learn before they can produce at a level high enough to be ranked over experienced Division teams.
Well lets project a little what a second or third unit could be. For the sake of simplicity, lets assume Evina stays and Azzi starts at someone's expense, say Anna. Now many would have different lineups but let me pick just one to think about.

PG Nika
SG Carolyn
SF Anna
PF Aailyah
C Amari

I know you can't expect as much from freshmen, but could that starting lineup with a mediocre bench be as good as a team near the tail end of the rankings? Maybe about Depaul's level? I certainly think so. Remember the gap between the top teams in women's basketball and the last ranked teams is pretty big.

Now if that was a second unit, then the third would be like this.

PG Autumn
SG Saylor
SF Mir
PF Aubrey
C Piath

Three of those were ranked in the top 20-30 of their class, another Piath was probably in the top 100, and Autumn I believe had a Division 1 offer or two. There are over 350 Division 1 teams. If you are in the top 150 or so, then you could beat "most" Division 1 teams. I think that team with a mediocre bench would be at least that good.

Now I'm sure many will put Aubrey or Mir on the second team, but no matter how you change it both units appear to be loaded, and if we don't find ways to use many of them, they probably won't stay.

Reaction Score
We shall see what PB and AE do against Baylor. This will be their baptism under fire. Geno says he doesn't look down the line, but I think he was getting PB ready for Baylor last night.

I think Anna will be alright. She can handle the pressure of a Baylor game. People are moving her down the list. She is among the Big East leaders in Asst/gm, blocks, asst/turner ratio. More importantly, she plays Geno's system, she understands it. She boxes out on defense every time, allowing her teammates to get rebounds. She creates great outlet passes, overall her passing is strong. She is a work horse.

GG

Reaction Score
The best team on the court last night was when Paige; Ono; Williams; Westbrook and Edwards were on the floor. To me that is these are the best set of five. You have offense when they connect and good on defense.
Yes, I agree. If AM cannot hit threes, I am just wondering if it makes more sense to start Edwards. I also love Mir’s game and Believe she will only get better.

Reaction Score
Name a guard, forward, or wing that is shooting 70% when they are open. How many are there?
Everybody! That's why I'm frustrated beyond belief. Geno runs his orchestrated passing game and we just miss the shot. These are easy shots. You ever play "around-the-world", shoot from the block on each side, then the short shot in the middle at the dashed-line, etc. That's the shot CW missed. One example. Brutal!
I guess this needs explaining: shots have different levels of difficulty. Everybody on the team should look for open shots which are easier. The star player can shoot under pressure. Geno is urging Paige to assume that role. I'm referring to outside shots. What are your expectations when our Huskies take an open shot? When EW got that open corner jumper and missed the rim by a foot, what were you thinking? If you had her take 10 shots from that spot in a game situation, how many should she make?
When I played, we used to work on our shots 3 hours a day outside of practice time. Sets of 20 shots on the move after a sharp cut. 18 out of 20, every time. Games of 1 on 1, that were won by whoever got the ball first.
I challenge you to watch an NBA game. Decide what an open shot is. Now keep track of their percentage on open shots.

Reaction Score
I think Griffin was hurt. In 2nd half she didn't play, did she?

With that said, I think Geno knows what he's doing. I don't agree with what you're saying overall but will be excited either way because players 5-9 could be very close to one another.

Wondering if Edwards is going to eventually start though. IMO that's a bigger question. Wow what a pickup. i had questioned before if she should but she is just so impressive. I was concerned maybe she would be a "foul-a-minute" type in her frosh year- but she just looks so impressive. I'm giddy. We hit a home run with her and Paige. And the other frosh still have shots to be darn good too.

As far as playing more players- he'll play them when he thinks they're ready. You have to remember there is a reason why UCONN gets elite 1-5 recruits. And it's not to sit them for less talented players. I'm very happy watching Paige and CWill as an example.
Aubrey had back spasms before the game so it was a bit surprising she played at all. I think coach is going to go with a rotation of seven ( the starting five, plus Aubrey and Edwards.) and that will change only if someone forces their way " up the ladder." Meanwhile, he will give minutes to Muhl and McClain in most games, because most games wont be tense and close.

As an aside, I was sad to see Autumn throw up an "air ball" on what looked like a pretty open three point opportunity in the game's final minute. I am pulling for her to succeed. She doesn't seem strong enough to compete at this level ( at the moment ). It is kind of amazing , based on what we have seen so far, that Geno agreed to allow her to "walk on." It is only going to get tougher for her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't understand the negativity about Aubrey Griffin, when we all know that she had problems with back spasms last night. Despite playing only 6 minutes (undoubtedly because of that), she had 3 rather spectacular assists. She did not play badly at all. OK, she made an ill-advised pass that caused a 3-second call, but that was the only mistake that I saw.

UConn's top 7 players this year (including Anna, who despite recent struggles has proven her ability to contribute at the end of last season) are very solid. After that come Nika and Mir, who (in my opinion and I suspect in Geno's opinion) can also become part of the rotation if they address their current difficulties, which may or may not happen this season.

Next season the team will add Azzi, who will almost certainly start immediately. They will also add Caroline and Saylor (whom I find hard to distinguish in their potential contribution), who seem to fit into a role similar to Anna's current role and will undoubtedly compete for her minutes. If they do, and if Evina stays in Storrs, UConn could have a 10-person rotation next year. That will be different from recent years, but it will not be unknown to Geno -- in the early 2000's, he had a similarly deep rotation and used all of it. He did the same thing when he was the Olympic team coach.
I don't think Azzi starts next season especially if Evina returns because then UCONN would essentially be starting 4 guards and I believe AE has shown enough to be a starter as a sophomore up front next to Liv. Our two European players have got to step things up or risk being out the rotation all together next season. The distinction between Saylor and Caroline is that Saylor is a superior perimeter defender. Both players have deep range and Saylor also has PG-like passing skills. I'll put it bluntly: Saylor, Caroline and Azzi have the potential to contribute everything that Anna and Nika are currently not contributing.

Reaction Score
I agree with the theme of this thread for several reasons. Rather than argue who should be playing more or less minutes this year, let me fast forward to next year. By any reasonable assumption that team will have a second unit that would probably be ranked by themselves, and a third unit that could beat most Division 1 team's starters.

Playing the best starters 35 minutes a game, and most of the other starters 30 minutes a game would be complete madness in my opinion, at least next year. My reasoning is this. I think our second unit next year could beat other teams second units by more not less, than our starters could beat their starters. If that is true you want more of the game to be a match up of the benches.

If you run as much as possible, and press most of the game you can wear out both teams starters. So suppose instead of the other team's starters playing 30 minutes and their subs 10 each, you reduce their starters to 25 minutes and increase their subs to 15 minutes. That is an advantage for us, a big one. You can find more time and happiness for a very deep bench, and by using the bench more run up the score and margin of victory at the same time. You also force many teams out of their comfort zone regarding style of play and substitution patterns.

Now this year is not quite as clear cut. Last year Megan, Crystal and Christyn were all heavily used because the alternative was more of Molly and Kyla. While not as good as next year's bench will be, Edwards, Muhl, and McLean are far more talented than Molly and Kyla, so you could make a similar case for this year, but the argument is not as strong.

I get the Baylor argument, particularly with a very young learning team. To a certain extent all the games up to this point are like preseason games getting ready for the Baylor opening, so more time for the core that will be used in that game might make sense. But against Big East competition why wait until the last two minutes of a 40 point blowout to yank the starters? In many cases that could have been done 5-10 minutes sooner in my opinion. This year might be ok, but next year it will be use them or lose them, and you can use them to increase the lead, not diminish it.
Yes old huskie, you got it right!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't understand the negativity about Aubrey Griffin, when we all know that she had problems with back spasms last night. Despite playing only 6 minutes (undoubtedly because of that), she had 3 rather spectacular assists. She did not play badly at all. OK, she made an ill-advised pass that caused a 3-second call, but that was the only mistake that I saw.
Eh, I don't know if I'd call them spectacular assists. More like lucky. The one play Westbrook was trying to run off a screen and Griffin got in her way and messed that up. Ended up with the ball, wasn't sure what to do so threw it to Edwards who made a good move and scored.

Another assist, Griffin dribbled herself into the corner, was stuck and "luckily" Edwards defender left her alone under the basket. Granted, Griffin found her, but mostly luck.

Reaction Score
Eh, I don't know if I'd call them spectacular assists. More like lucky. The one play Westbrook was trying to run off a screen and Griffin got in her way and messed that up. Ended up with the ball, wasn't sure what to do so threw it to Edwards who made a good move and scored.

Another assist, Griffin dribbled herself into the corner, was stuck and "luckily" Edwards defender left her alone under the basket. Granted, Griffin found her, but mostly luck.
I hear you. I don't know how "lucky" I'd be if I got a huge 3 minutes to make an impact on the game. I'd argue she always makes a positive impact.
Sorry I got to say this: AM- 20 minutes playing time- stat-line. She could go out to half court and lay down for 20 minutes and have more of an impact. A couple balls would fall in her hands and she'd pass it to somebody. Best thing it would help the shooting %.
Maybe one of our star players would "get lucky" and actually make a shot.
Like when I play golf I make a putt once in a blue moon. Thanks to gravity.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I hear you. I don't know how "lucky" I'd be if I got a huge 3 minutes to make an impact on the game. I'd argue she always makes a positive impact.
True she does usually make an impact. Usually from hustle plays. Although I was only talking about her 3 assists last night (with I believe her aching back), she does average 15 minutes a game overall.

Sorry I got to say this: AM- 20 minutes playing time- stat-line. She could go out to half court and lay down for 20 minutes and have more of an impact. A couple balls would fall in her hands and she'd pass it to somebody. Best thing it would help the shooting %.
True Makurat isn't shooting very well right now. She does however facilitate the offense much more than Griffin does. Geno seems to like that.

Hopefully as Griffin learns to work within the offense more, she'll get more time. And hopefully Makurat's shooting will get back to where it was 2nd half of last year.

Reaction Score
True she does usually make an impact. Usually from hustle plays. Although I was only talking about her 3 assists last night (with I believe her aching back), she does average 15 minutes a game overall.

True Makurat isn't shooting very well right now. She does however facilitate the offense much more than Griffin does. Geno seems to like that.

Hopefully as Griffin learns to work within the offense more, she'll get more time. And hopefully Makurat's shooting will get back to where it was 2nd half of last year.
I appreciate your response!
I respect Geno. In fact I hang on his every word. Having said that, I want him to coach the way he would have coached 1985-1995. He would have tried different things, as opposed to being wedded to this successful formula. Is he trying to jam a square peg into a round hole. Last year, the players would stand around until someone would force a shot. Frankly we're lucky Meg played as good as she did. This year, we move better, get the desired shot and.....
I've wanted it forever....use our athleticism. Use three-quarters of the floor or even the whole floor defensively and more slashing and attacking the rim offensively. These athletic players would benefit, including Paige, CW, and Liv.
It doesn't have to look like "Swan Lake".

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Wow! I read the posts in this thread and was somewhat surprised. We have to keep in mind a few things about this season.

1. We got off to a late start and haven't had the games under our belts that we would normally have at this juncture.

2. We are integrating what amounts to six new players: Paige, Aailyah, Nika, MIr, Paith and Evina (albeit...she is an experienced player who had a year to study our system).

3. We were playing the # 18 team in the nation (our first top 25 team)... and, everyone knows how well Bruno prepares his teams and how pesty they are on defense and how they love to hoist threes.

4. I am sure everyone remembers what a stud Aubrey Griffin was last year...and it is obvious she hasn't gotten back to where she was. I think we can pretty confidently say that better days are coming in her case.

5. Paige...is still learning the College game and the UConn system and she is doing great so far. Sure she will sometimes look and play like a freshman but for the most part she has been making pretty good decisions out there. And, her stats aren't bad: 1st in scoring with 18.2/g; tied for 2nd in 3s; 1st in 3pt average .500; 2nd behind Aubrey Griffin for free throw percentage; 2nd in made FTs; 1st in field goals made; 3rd in FG percentage; tied for 2nd in Rebounds; 1st in assists; 1st in steals.

6. Christyn Williams is an all American type player...who will only get more and more consistent as the season goes on.

7. ONO...we are just fortunate to have her (she could be our second All American)..she is light years ahead of where she was last year. Staying out of foul trouble is a must for her.

8. Evina in my opinion is not a high percentage shooter from the outside. She wasn't at Tennessee and I don't think she will be here. However, she does need to play within in the system....her shots will come and she will be a decent scorer. Her passing is great...she is definitely an option at the PG if Paige gets into foul trouble or gets hurt.

9. Niki Muhl threw one of the best looking passes (on her drive and dish) that I have seen in a long time. I think Muhl's experience will begin to pay off and we will see her emerge as a solid point guard. when she is in the game with Paige this will allow Paige to move over to the shooting guard which would be a pretty dynamic backcourt. Otherwise she will be able to provide decent minutes giving Paige time to rest if needed.

10. Aaliyah Edwards is impressing fans and coaches alike. She will continue to get minutes as she gives UConn a different look that will come in handy against teams with a bigger lineup.

11. Mir's upside is fantastic...I see her as a more athletic version of Aubrey Griffin and it is hard to imagine those two on the court at the same time without there being more than a few oohs and ahhs.

12. Anna Makurat can shoot...we know this from last year...I believe by the end of the season she will be our shooter coming off the bench.

13. Everyone keeps saying how Paith Gabriel is a work in progress and for the most part folks are correct...however, how nice is it to have 6'5" coming off the bench. While she is rough around the edges...she will continue to get better and better...and by her Junior year she is going to be a force in the middle...I'm just sayin'/

14. Autumn Chassion will continue to be a fan favorite as each time she gets into the game the fans will be pulling for her to make a three. She could stand some more time in the weight room.

Defensively this team is doing better than expected. I know that Geno says they can't defend but their opponents are only averaging 49.66 points per game. Additionally, they are averaging 18 turnovers and 10 plus steals per game. Baylor will be a huge test for them...but, as a fan...you can't be too disappointed in what you have seen so far.

Finally, if people are worried about spreading the minutes around this year...next year will be even tougher... With 3 shooters (one of which may be the best shooter in UConn's history) I didn't think I would ever see a better shooter than Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis but, Azzi just might be better...and, another big (Amari)...they are all going to require minutes there may not be enough basketballs to go around.

Incidentally, while I hope it doesn't happen...my prediction is Evina will declare for the WNBA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Players earn their minutes in practice. That is the way Geno runs it. The record is very successful.

The bench that plays the most, Edwards and Griffin, have earned their minutes. Muhl and McLean not so much. Piath is a project that is learning a complex system.

If you know UConn history, Geno very seldom plays more than 7 or 8 players per game.
I could not agree more. Players who don't get the "minutes" they want have choices:

1: Improve to the point that your coach will play you for the benefit of the TEAM (not you). This improvement will be manifested during PRACTICE.

2: Accept your bench role.

3: Transfer.

Geno's job is NOT to make players happy. It is to win games, and championships.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
True Makurat isn't shooting very well right now.
That early shot where she was wide open and clunked off the front of the rim was inexcusable. She's still getting the minutes because none of the newbies have done enough to grab the time. I'm starting to worry she can't keep pace with the others.

Reaction Score
Everybody! That's why I'm frustrated beyond belief. Geno runs his orchestrated passing game and we just miss the shot. These are easy shots. You ever play "around-the-world", shoot from the block on each side, then the short shot in the middle at the dashed-line, etc. That's the shot CW missed. One example. Brutal!
I guess this needs explaining: shots have different levels of difficulty. Everybody on the team should look for open shots which are easier. The star player can shoot under pressure. Geno is urging Paige to assume that role. I'm referring to outside shots. What are your expectations when our Huskies take an open shot? When EW got that open corner jumper and missed the rim by a foot, what were you thinking? If you had her take 10 shots from that spot in a game situation, how many should she make?
When I played, we used to work on our shots 3 hours a day outside of practice time. Sets of 20 shots on the move after a sharp cut. 18 out of 20, every time. Games of 1 on 1, that were won by whoever got the ball first.
I challenge you to watch an NBA game. Decide what an open shot is. Now keep track of their percentage on open shots.
I couldn’t help but notice you didn’t answer the question. Where are the players who are shooting 70%? Everybody is not an answer.

Reaction Score
I couldn’t help but notice you didn’t answer the question. Where are the players who are shooting 70%? Everybody is not an answer.
Hey, I did better than just a question mark!! What's your deal? I like banter about hoops. What are you about?
I answered the question thoroughly. The shots we're missing are shots our players should make 7 out of 10. The one CW missed at the dashed line is 9 out of 10. You ever play ball? Well, if you did, your team runs a beautiful passing game sequence and gets you the ball in the corner, nobody within 10 feet of you, and you miss the rim right by a foot. What's your thoughts on that? How many of those are you going to make out of 10? I'm making at least 7, probably more like 9. I'm missing tough shots. That's why 50% is an acceptable %. You make the easy shots and struggle on the tough shots. Do you need a math lesson too?
I even told the poster to watch an NBA game and after establishing what an open shot is, see what the % is on open shots. I contend that it's impressive.
UConn women, some of the most skilled women basketball players in the world, have to make these shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom