Spread those minutes out Geno | The Boneyard

Spread those minutes out Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't understand why Geno is giving double digits minutes to only 6 players? He has good bench players,
I think Griffin was hurt. In 2nd half she didn't play, did she?

With that said, I think Geno knows what he's doing. I don't agree with what you're saying overall but will be excited either way because players 5-9 could be very close to one another.

Wondering if Edwards is going to eventually start though. IMO that's a bigger question. Wow what a pickup. i had questioned before if she should but she is just so impressive. I was concerned maybe she would be a "foul-a-minute" type in her frosh year- but she just looks so impressive. I'm giddy. We hit a home run with her and Paige. And the other frosh still have shots to be darn good too.

As far as playing more players- he'll play them when he thinks they're ready. You have to remember there is a reason why UCONN gets elite 1-5 recruits. And it's not to sit them for less talented players. I'm very happy watching Paige and CWill as an example.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah I gotta agree, Coach should spread some minutes around. I know we had two players coming back from injuries so naturally they will be limited but long term, coach gotta use that bench more. Just helps to reduce wear and tear on the others and also helps develop the bench and their confidence.

Reaction Score
Yeah I gotta agree, Coach should spread some minutes around. I know we had two players coming back from injuries so naturally they will be limited but long term, coach gotta use that bench more. Just helps to reduce wear and tear on the others and also helps develop the bench and their confidence.
I'm with you guys. 6 games is close to a quarter of a season. Players that can make shots in games play. And when you go to those guys, take advantage of their physical attributes; do some trapping, laying for steals, pressuring the ball. Maybe a couple of the guys getting the minutes now will relax if they become the role players.

Reaction Score
I can't understand why Geno is giving double digits minutes to only 6 players? He has good bench players,
Because he is preparing for the Baylor game which is next. He is unlikely to go more than 8 players deep in that game, so he is right to focus on them at this point. Plus, with a truncated preseason and the cancellation or postponement of several early games, the starters plus Aaliyah haven't had a lot opportunities to gel.

Reaction Score
I'm with you guys. 6 games is close to a quarter of a season. Players that can make shots in games play. And when you go to those guys, take advantage of their physical attributes; do some trapping, laying for steals, pressuring the ball. Maybe a couple of the guys getting the minutes now will relax if they become the role players.

But I'm not sold on it. I am not against it if Geno thinks so-- but I have always been a fan of "play your best." I think very crucial is halfcourt execution. Sitting your superstars on the bench doesn't help in this manner. How much is Paige going to learn if Geno wants her to shoot more while she is on the bench?

UCONN will be seriously challenged during a season about 3 - 4 times maximum? Then in NCAA's they maybe get challenged in S16 to E8. Then FF to Finals. They have a week off. They won't wear down.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
He sits a player like Paige, because she is NOT doing what he told her to do. He wants her to shoot when she is open, and use that as her first option before passing the ball.

Reaction Score
But I'm not sold on it. I am not against it if Geno thinks so-- but I have always been a fan of "play your best." I think very crucial is halfcourt execution. Sitting your superstars on the bench doesn't help in this manner. How much is Paige going to learn if Geno wants her to shoot more while she is on the bench?

UCONN will be seriously challenged during a season about 3 - 4 times maximum? Then in NCAA's they maybe get challenged in S16 to E8. Then FF to Finals. They have a week off. They won't wear down.
Cool! Not Paige. Paige stays unless she signals that she needs out. I’m talking AM, EW, Liv, CW. Gotta make shots. 3 for 12, 1 for 4, whatever CW was, not acceptable. We all saw it. Open shots. Good players make 40% with 3 people hanging all over them, 70% when they’re open.

Reaction Score
Yeah we need to spread those minutes around .. it's obvious that Liv and AE are our bread-n-butter but why is CW playing waaay more than either one of them, more than double AE's minutes, eh? Is CW going to be our predetermined AA like the unwanted situation we saw last year?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Damn, the BY. SMH. UCONN is 6-0 winning every game by an avg of 37 points. And we got people on here whining about minutes.

dos equis facepalm GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World

Reaction Score
Because he is preparing for the Baylor game which is next. He is unlikely to go more than 8 players deep in that game, so he is right to focus on them at this point. Plus, with a truncated preseason and the cancellation or postponement of several early games, the starters plus Aaliyah haven't had a lot opportunities to gel.
Exactly! More time needed for refinement. The break before the Baylor game is not helping.

Reaction Score
Edwards is great, but Geno needs her if Liv gets a few fouls. And if she starts she can get in quick foul trouble herself. I think last night he saw Liv was ok so he could bring Edwards in and let her play. But against Baylor and their bigs, I think he has to be cautious. Also with Didi as defensive POY, not sure but if they put her on Paige and can slow her down, who picks up the slack and scores some points for us. Evina or Anna or both have to get hot shooting. With all the down time you would think Anna would have been in the gym shooting 3's all day. I think Crystal spent a whole summer shooting 3 pointers, and her % went way up the next year. CW will score her usual, but I don't see her going over 15.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The best team on the court last night was when Paige; Ono; Williams; Westbrook and Edwards were on the floor. To me that is these are the best set of five. You have offense when they connect and good on defense.
Massive drop from those five to 6-8 right now.

Reaction Score
I agree with the theme of this thread for several reasons. Rather than argue who should be playing more or less minutes this year, let me fast forward to next year. By any reasonable assumption that team will have a second unit that would probably be ranked by themselves, and a third unit that could beat most Division 1 team's starters.

Playing the best starters 35 minutes a game, and most of the other starters 30 minutes a game would be complete madness in my opinion, at least next year. My reasoning is this. I think our second unit next year could beat other teams second units by more not less, than our starters could beat their starters. If that is true you want more of the game to be a match up of the benches.

If you run as much as possible, and press most of the game you can wear out both teams starters. So suppose instead of the other team's starters playing 30 minutes and their subs 10 each, you reduce their starters to 25 minutes and increase their subs to 15 minutes. That is an advantage for us, a big one. You can find more time and happiness for a very deep bench, and by using the bench more run up the score and margin of victory at the same time. You also force many teams out of their comfort zone regarding style of play and substitution patterns.

Now this year is not quite as clear cut. Last year Megan, Crystal and Christyn were all heavily used because the alternative was more of Molly and Kyla. While not as good as next year's bench will be, Edwards, Muhl, and McLean are far more talented than Molly and Kyla, so you could make a similar case for this year, but the argument is not as strong.

I get the Baylor argument, particularly with a very young learning team. To a certain extent all the games up to this point are like preseason games getting ready for the Baylor opening, so more time for the core that will be used in that game might make sense. But against Big East competition why wait until the last two minutes of a 40 point blowout to yank the starters? In many cases that could have been done 5-10 minutes sooner in my opinion. This year might be ok, but next year it will be use them or lose them, and you can use them to increase the lead, not diminish it.

Reaction Score
In fairness, it was mentioned that Griffin was dealing with back spasms Monday and barely practiced during shoot around so he may have been trying to see where she’s at before the Baylor game when he’ll actually need her. She played well while she was in (3 assists in 6 minutes, I think) and still showed her athleticism despite her back. I’m hoping Aaliyah and McClean get more minutes. Both are great on the offensive boards and Aaliyah looked great playing with Liv. Also, maybe Nika will get more playing time as the season goes on and she figures out what she can do to be an effective teammate. Her drive and dish to CW for the corner three was a flash of what she could bring to the offense.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Cool! Not Paige. Paige stays unless she signals that she needs out. I’m talking AM, EW, Liv, CW. Gotta make shots. 3 for 12, 1 for 4, whatever CW was, not acceptable. We all saw it. Open shots. Good players make 40% with 3 people hanging all over them, 70% when they’re open.
Name a guard, forward, or wing that is shooting 70% when they are open. How many are there?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Players earn their minutes in practice. That is the way Geno runs it. The record is very successful.

The bench that plays the most, Edwards and Griffin, have earned their minutes. Muhl and McLean not so much. Piath is a project that is learning a complex system.

If you know UConn history, Geno very seldom plays more than 7 or 8 players per game.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I agree with the theme of this thread for several reasons. Rather than argue who should be playing more or less minutes this year, let me fast forward to next year. By any reasonable assumption that team will have a second unit that would probably be ranked by themselves, and a third unit that could beat most Division 1 team's starters.

Playing the best starters 35 minutes a game, and most of the other starters 30 minutes a game would be complete madness in my opinion, at least next year. My reasoning is this. I think our second unit next year could beat other teams second units by more not less, than our starters could beat their starters. If that is true you want more of the game to be a match up of the benches.

If you run as much as possible, and press most of the game you can wear out both teams starters. So suppose instead of the other team's starters playing 30 minutes and their subs 10 each, you reduce their starters to 25 minutes and increase their subs to 15 minutes. That is an advantage for us, a big one. You can find more time and happiness for a very deep bench, and by using the bench more run up the score and margin of victory at the same time. You also force many teams out of their comfort zone regarding style of play and substitution patterns.

Now this year is not quite as clear cut. Last year Megan, Crystal and Christyn were all heavily used because the alternative was more of Molly and Kyla. While not as good as next year's bench will be, Edwards, Muhl, and McLean are far more talented than Molly and Kyla, so you could make a similar case for this year, but the argument is not as strong.

I get the Baylor argument, particularly with a very young learning team. To a certain extent all the games up to this point are like preseason games getting ready for the Baylor opening, so more time for the core that will be used in that game might make sense. But against Big East competition why wait until the last two minutes of a 40 point blowout to yank the starters? In many cases that could have been done 5-10 minutes sooner in my opinion. This year might be ok, but next year it will be use them or lose them, and you can use them to increase the lead, not diminish it.
There is no way UConn's second unit next year will be good enough to be ranked or a third unit that could beat most Division 1 teams. That has been said about other UConn freshmen before and was proven wrong. That is overestimating UConn's bench and underestimating other Division 1 teams, imo. I know next season's freshmen appear to be special but they will have a lot to learn before they can produce at a level high enough to be ranked over experienced Division teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My take is that we really don't have a shooter coming off the bench. Several similar type around the basket players. Maybe Edwards should start and bring Anna in for her outside scoring. Just a thought.

Reaction Score
did i hear correctly that there may be some serious changes to the scheduling at the ncaa's this year - one location and condensing everything into a much shorter time period to reduce covid exposure ???

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't understand the negativity about Aubrey Griffin, when we all know that she had problems with back spasms last night. Despite playing only 6 minutes (undoubtedly because of that), she had 3 rather spectacular assists. She did not play badly at all. OK, she made an ill-advised pass that caused a 3-second call, but that was the only mistake that I saw.

UConn's top 7 players this year (including Anna, who despite recent struggles has proven her ability to contribute at the end of last season) are very solid. After that come Nika and Mir, who (in my opinion and I suspect in Geno's opinion) can also become part of the rotation if they address their current difficulties, which may or may not happen this season.

Next season the team will add Azzi, who will almost certainly start immediately. They will also add Caroline and Saylor (whom I find hard to distinguish in their potential contribution), who seem to fit into a role similar to Anna's current role and will undoubtedly compete for her minutes. If they do, and if Evina stays in Storrs, UConn could have a 10-person rotation next year. That will be different from recent years, but it will not be unknown to Geno -- in the early 2000's, he had a similarly deep rotation and used all of it. He did the same thing when he was the Olympic team coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom