OT: - Sports myths | The Boneyard

OT: Sports myths

Reaction Score
Last night during the Manningcast Eli was talking about how fans and analysts constantly say that playoff games move at a faster pace than regular season games. Basically he said that is not true at all. They move at the same speed. I’d trust his opinion on this matter more than a fan who hasn’t played in the nfl.

What are some sports myths where fans have it completely wrong?

Reaction Score
About 50% of the "fundamentals" people teach in basketball are a load of malarkey. this is one of the books I enjoyed on the topic:

- Running the mile is a useless measure of basketball conditioning.

- The defensive step-slide and NEVER CROSS YOUR FEET is a useless drill.

- Closeouts with two hands up are stupid.

- Closeouts without jumping are also stupid.

- Boxing out anywhere but in the post is a literal waste of time.

- Triple-threat position is idiotic.

- The three-man weave is stupid.

- A SHOOTING DIP IS A GOOD THING

There are others, but those are the ones that stuck out to me from this book.

'Yarders, please feel free to come at me like a hot wind. I know these aren't takes that most people agree with outside of the modern coaching world. There are a lot of really great D1 coaches that would disagree with these. The new-school guys like Oats, Beard (until recently), Shake, etc. are generally moving in this direction though.

Reaction Score
@husky429 I couldn't ask for a better response. These are things I was taught ad nauseum while growing up. I'm entertaining their uselessness. I've also had an issue with the "let the club do the work" advice for beginner golfers. I get what they mean but torque is a real thing. Can't just not swing

Reaction Score
@husky429 Why is a dip a good thing? I. Not disagreeing. But have only ever heard the opposite

It's less "a dip is a good thing" and more "a dip is not a bad thing." I've gotten into some pretty spicy 'yard arguments about it over the years. If you watch the greatest shooters--Steph, Ray, Reggie, Durant--they all have a substantial dip. Ray Allen's dip is probably TOO low... the guy swings it practically to his knees. Basically everyone does a dip. The idea is that is gives you a rhythm to the shot (and the research shows it doesn't actually make the shot any slower).

Great shooters can add a shot without a dip the same way they would adding funny footwork or off-balance shots--later in their career.

My biggest pet peeve of ALL with shooting is folks who teach kids FTs by holding the ball way in front of your face and "bend, extend" or whatever the lingo was. FTs shold be shot starting around the belly button and keeping the ball as close to your body as you can.

I think this was the video I linked a while back explaining the dip phenomenon:

Reaction Score
Might have to put my list on the regular board sometime in the off-season and see how many folks I can get to put me on the ignore list lol

Reaction Score
Love that video. Pretty convincing stuff. I can't wait to use this. I'm sure there will be a bunch who disagree. Guaranteed. Stephs dip is comical!

Is AJax considered a low dip?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's less "a dip is a good thing" and more "a dip is not a bad thing." I've gotten into some pretty spicy 'yard arguments about it over the years. If you watch the greatest shooters--Steph, Ray, Reggie, Durant--they all have a substantial dip. Ray Allen's dip is probably TOO low... the guy swings it practically to his knees. Basically everyone does a dip. The idea is that is gives you a rhythm to the shot (and the research shows it doesn't actually make the shot any slower).

Great shooters can add a shot without a dip the same way they would adding funny footwork or off-balance shots--later in their career.

My biggest pet peeve of ALL with shooting is folks who teach kids FTs by holding the ball way in front of your face and "bend, extend" or whatever the lingo was. FTs shold be shot starting around the belly button and keeping the ball as close to your body as you can.

I think this was the video I linked a while back explaining the dip phenomenon:

Yeah, and especially with kids, who aren't strong enough without it. That motion provides the stored energy needed to launch the ball. In Ray's case, he's exaggerated because he's bending his knees to elevate. I think Reggie Miller did that too.

We made the girls we coached shoot 1 handed FTs. Mostly to break the tendency many had to shoot push/flip shots with their thumbs under the ball.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Last night during the Manningcast Eli was talking about how fans and analysts constantly say that playoff games move at a faster pace than regular season games. Basically he said that is not true at all. They move at the same speed. I’d trust his opinion on this matter more than a fan who hasn’t played in the nfl.

What are some sports myths where fans have it completely wrong?
Recently Peyton Manning said that "halftime adjustments" were a myth. Then, many people said he was completely wrong. It seems Peyton rarely needed halftime adjustments, but the defenses often did, and some lesser offenses probably did.

Reaction Score
Recently Peyton Manning said that "halftime adjustments" were a myth. Then, many people said he was completely wrong. It seems Peyton rarely needed halftime adjustments, but the defenses often did, and some lesser offenses probably did.
That’s one guy that defies any and all rules.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and especially with kids, who aren't strong enough without it. That motion provides the stored energy needed to launch the ball. In Ray's case, he's exaggerated because he's bending his knees to elevate. I think Reggie Miller did that too.

We made the girls we coached shoot 1 handed FTs. Mostly to break the tendency many had to shoot push/flip shots with their thumbs under the ball.

I always liked having the kids shoots FTs with a penny between there ondex finger and thumb to try to avoid that flick.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Turning your hat inside out in Section 10, Row 5 does not actually induce a rally on the field.

Reaction Score
Bulletin board material, sure it makes for a good story and all but it has no bearing on the outcome of a game.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
What was the rationale for the triple threat position being idiotic? Not arguing, just curious.

I guess I could just read the book…lol

Reaction Score
About 50% of the "fundamentals" people teach in basketball are a load of malarkey. this is one of the books I enjoyed on the topic:

- Running the mile is a useless measure of basketball conditioning.

- The defensive step-slide and NEVER CROSS YOUR FEET is a useless drill.

- Closeouts with two hands up are stupid.

- Closeouts without jumping are also stupid.

- Boxing out anywhere but in the post is a literal waste of time.

- Triple-threat position is idiotic.

- The three-man weave is stupid.

- A SHOOTING DIP IS A GOOD THING

There are others, but those are the ones that stuck out to me from this book.

'Yarders, please feel free to come at me like a hot wind. I know these aren't takes that most people agree with outside of the modern coaching world. There are a lot of really great D1 coaches that would disagree with these. The new-school guys like Oats, Beard (until recently), Shake, etc. are generally moving in this direction though.

Close outs without jumping love it. Our huskies close and jump way too much leaving either an open shooter or else our defense now becomes a scramble.

Box out everywhere, long rebounds happen if everyone backs into to someone better shot of getting the rebound.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom