Sports Illustrated Article/Texas Tech.../UConn Mentioned | The Boneyard

Sports Illustrated Article/Texas Tech.../UConn Mentioned

Reaction Score
'We'll be back': Texas Tech rose too far to stop here

Good read:

Throughout March, Beard showed his team clips from the 30 for 30 doc Survive and Advance, which chronicles NC State’s championship run in 1983. Beard also presented clips of the Connecticut team that won the 2011 title behind one star (Kemba Walker), a strong rotation and stout defense. Sound familiar?

Reaction Score
We have some really cool story lines for our titles. They're all unique in a historical context

1999: Massive underdogs to a tradition blueblood winning a first title first time in the championship
2004: A juggernaut of a squad loaded with NBA talent up and down the roster
2011: Cardia Kemba and the Kids going on an improbable run elevating Kemba to God-status
2014: Bookend titles for Shabazz replicating the improbable run Kemba led 3 years prior and energizing the Garden along the way

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
1999: Massive underdogs to a tradition blueblood winning a first title first time in the championship
2011: Cardia Kemba and the Kids going on an improbable run elevating Kemba to God-status
2014: Bookend titles for Shabazz replicating the improbable run Kemba led 3 years prior and energizing the Garden along the way
2014 after we had been left out of conference realignment and banned from the tournament the previous year.

Reaction Score
Texas Tech had not one, but two opportunities to win that game in regulation, and they generated two poor looks. Kemba doesn’t let that opportunity slip by on that stage. We were really lucky to have him on our side.
Not to mention the horrendous defensive lapse that left the UVA guy wide open for 3. You can't know for sure what'd happen, but Calhoun was so good at coaching late-game situations in big games that you have to think the players know to let the guy have the easy 2 there.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
If Jimmy was a very good coach we would have lost 99 by 8-12. Fortunately he was incredible!

Reaction Score
Texas Tech had not one, but two opportunities to win that game in regulation, and they generated two poor looks. Kemba doesn’t let that opportunity slip by on that stage. We were really lucky to have him on our side.
Well, 2011 UConn probably gets a 5-10 pt win over this Virginia team and Kemba was more than capable of repeating what Carson Edwards of Purdue did, although he might not have to. And yes i know the Butler game was overall ugly. I think Lamb's impact as well UConn's size and athleticism are often understated. Lamb and Kemba's' D were very good, too. It was Jay Wright of Nova in the 2011 studio that stated UConn was able to cut of driving lanes by playing slightly off their man, but their length would still bother shooters.

Reaction Score
Not to mention the horrendous defensive lapse that left the UVA guy wide open for 3. You can't know for sure what'd happen, but Calhoun was so good at coaching late-game situations in big games that you have to think the players know to let the guy have the easy 2 there.
Yeah, I am surprised that isn't being mentioned more. Or if the D is going to help against Ty Jerome's drive, only 1 man has to do it and that guy should've helped off Kihei Clark, not Hunter who was on fire, SMH.
That's one thing I took away from this tournament was that I certainly took for granted Calhoun's excellence in late game situations or in closing out opponents when having a 10 pt lead with 5 minutes or 4 pt lead with 30 seconds, etc.

Reaction Score

Add “handily beaten during the regular season by the team they faced in the championship game “

Reaction Score
We have some really cool story lines for our titles. They're all unique in a historical context
I agree, but personally I think the story line of "first 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed keeps that pain in their memory and vows to right the wrong the following year, drives it all the way to the school's first championship"

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Culver’s shot section was beyond atrocious.

The play call for the side out inbounds play might have been worse. No screens or cuts toward the basket?

Awful. Just awful coaching.

Reaction Score
The heading on this thread had me believing that coach Beard was publicly thanking KO for not being able to close on Moretti.

Reaction Score
The heading on this thread had me believing that coach Beard was publicly thanking KO for not being able to close on Moretti.
How many missed cruits were in the 16 and beyond?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom