Sports illustrated article – Jalen Adams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sports illustrated article – Jalen Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Eventually I think no one thinks Gibbs is really a "better" choice" but he's a better choice to start or share minutes with Sterling. Listen, if you don't think we need Gibbsy to be a real good team then you're whacked. If he doesn't add what he's done in his career elsewhere to the team then we will not be very good. Maybe instrad of being so happy so many of you seem to think you're right maybe you should wish as hard these 2 will be an unstoppable combo soon!

I would add to that Mau...on the surface from my observations team chemistry is very good. The players genuinely like each other across the board . I have come to the realization that bringing Gibbs or Purvis off the bench is a slippery slope better left to the coaching staff to decide. Of course they will anyways so I am really referring to speculative give and take here. It is a fair question to ponder no doubt. I just think KO has a good read on team dynamics that a fan like myself doesn't have. Adams himself may very well feel it is his time to start and take control of the team from the opening tip. We want that from him. JA is a winner and its hard to teach that. In my opinion UConn Nation will see a National Championship with JA running the show (probably with AG). Trust me I hope it is this year we cut down the nets (and anything can happen with the right bracket). I don't see KO making any changes to the starting line up unless we have an injury or a serious WTF loss. I think KO committed to Gibbs in his recruitment and specifically stated his role. None of this is easy so hopefully we can win in Texas.

Reaction Score
Let Gibbs start , if he's useless close with Adams .if the two pg line up is producing finishing with both . Unless Gibbs had some secret surgery in the summer he's going to continue to pick up his production... It makes sense he's taking time to adjust. Guy was the puppeteer on seton hall when he had an all conference season ... Now he is clearly the 3rd or 4th option on the squad. Miller took a leap and is having the best year of his career, Gibbs is taking a little longer

Reaction Score
Chap alert in the comments!

Walty:
adams famiglia une iota 25 percentile das chrisy smity ala fader panic village duh port/sledogs only potential wit anticoach ist NIT/sledteemsters loaded on perimeter? dat phunny stuphin author/seton castoff l'homme gimpee footsee speedee wit alot practice wit previous clubers 2 lose mucho, knot seize floor, knot do much/ncstate castoff must enter phd programm pronto or destoya hoolahoop prog two badly/corny kastoff mucho practice losing une faux pas as usual foli/amoeba experiment et foli recroot kasel knead go hopkins lab 4 study of y c'est les homme impersonate hoolahoopers et still smile 24/7/hambone stock fall wit rapidity, c'est l'homme kant shoot et das 13 l'ans pro bench warmer jim gym bag karrier knot teech shootin cuse hims knot shoot be4 or nowsa or everever moore et city das angels callin hims; pleezpleez go nowsa, danke

Reaction Score
Eventually I think no one thinks Gibbs is really a "better" choice" but he's a better choice to start or share minutes with Sterling.
Mau - little early to be sauced.

Seriously, I don't buy the "fragile emotions, he might check out" argument.

Start your best 5 to win. Sub as needed. Every player should understand the basic truth of these words. I have no way of knowing, but I'd be shocked if Ollie promised any transfers starting roles.

Gibbs is not getting it done. This is like Calhoun in 14. It took 4/5ths of the season to figure out to start Giffey, then we went "BOOM."

Similar here. Let's not wait until February. Start Adams. If Gibbs doesn't like that, then he can respond by playing harder/better.

This "he didn't transfer to come off the bench" silliness needs to stop. The proper response is, "we didn't take him as a transfer so that he could struggle."

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This "he didn't transfer to come off the bench" silliness needs to stop. The proper response is, "we didn't take him as a transfer so that he could struggle."

All that said, I'm willing to bet Adams doesn't start this year. He'll get starters minutes though. It really truly doesn't matter who starts, not one bit. There's an advantage to having Adams come off the bench - he gets to go against their subs. And the starting slow thing isn't Gibbs, it's everybody, especially on D.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

We also didn't hire a coach so that cats with green eyes on message boards could set his lineups for him.

Reaction Score
I keep telling you guys, SI's college basketball coverage is way better than the others. Great stuff here in this article, wish I knew how to get my hands on some of those stats.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I still believe in Gibbs. People are sleeping on him big-time. Adams will be a great Husky, but Gibbs will have something to say before the season is over. Kid was awesome for the Hall last year.

Also, Chap strikes again in that comments section

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I keep telling you guys, SI's college basketball coverage is way better than the others. Great stuff here in this article, wish I knew how to get my hands on some of those stats.

Send him an email.

Reaction Score
I still believe in Gibbs. People are sleeping on him big-time. Adams will be a great Husky, but Gibbs will have something to say before the season is over. Kid was awesome for the Hall last year.

I don't believe or understand the posts bailing on Gibbs. It is a luxury to have 3 quality guards the way we do and we are going to need all 3 if we're doing anything special this year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This article caused me to hark back to the dark ages, BC. Back in the Perno days, top CT HS guard Rod Foster went to UCLA, UConn didn't get so much as a sniff. As a freshman, there was an action photo of Foster in SI that took up a page and a half. I remember thinking that's why he went to UCLA. A UConn player wasn't getting a spread like that. In fact, it was rare for UConn to get a mention in the agate type weekly round-up.

Now we have a SI article about a player, not so much for what he has done, but for where he is playing. At UConn.

Reaction Score

Start your best 5 to win. Sub as needed. Every player should understand the basic truth of these words. I have no way of knowing, but I'd be shocked if Ollie promised any transfers starting roles.

Gibbs is not getting it done. This is like Calhoun in 14. It took 4/5ths of the season to figure out to start Giffey, then we went "BOOM."

Similar here. Let's not wait until February. Start Adams. If Gibbs doesn't like that, then he can respond by playing harder/better.

A few points.

First, Omar was on the bench by January 1, 2014 so your point about his benching somehow giving us an infusion in late 2014 is completely wrong. Utterly wrong. Utterly AND completely wrong.

Second, the early negativity about Gibbs is similar to the early negativity about Purvis last year. Sometimes, for some guys, it takes awhile to figure things out.

Third, to my eyes anyway, Gibbs has been demonstrably better on defense the last 2 games. I suspect he'll come around just fine on that end, call it the learning curve between Seton Hall defense and UConn defense.

Fourth, with this roster there are plenty of minutes to go around between Gibbs, Adams and Purvis. If we are to be the best we can be, they all need to play 25-30 a game. And there's plenty of room for that to happen. This is in no way a Calhoun vs. Giffey/Kromah situation.

Reaction Score
In my opinion Gibbs hasn't been that bad. We are just all used to super human point guards like bazz, kemba, and boat. Gibbs is what he is good not great

Reaction Score

That was awful and that holiday lunch with one of my favorite vendors definitely had something to do with that awful "sentence." So the reality is you're wrong 2 times Taste. It wasn't too early to be sauced is #1;), and #2 Gibbs is still the right choice. He was fine vs Ohio State anyway so not sure of the "struggle" in that one minus missing a couple open looks. He will make those!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Does anybody still believe that Gibbs is a better choice than Adams? How many more games do you figure they'll need?

For my dollar, give Adams max minutes NOW to get as many freshman mistakes out of the way, bring Gibbs in off the bench as needed, and play for March. Adams/Hamilton/Brimah/Miller/Purvis should be getting the lion's share of minutes. Love that Gibbs came to UConn, but his ideal role now is going to be as a backup and a seasoned vet to lend guidance and support to Adams.
And potentially the best spot up 3 point shooter alla Rashad only with a better handle.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Chap alert in the comments!

Walty:
adams famiglia une iota 25 percentile das chrisy smity ala fader panic village duh port/sledogs only potential wit anticoach ist NIT/sledteemsters loaded on perimeter? dat phunny stuphin author/seton castoff l'homme gimpee footsee speedee wit alot practice wit previous clubers 2 lose mucho, knot seize floor, knot do much/ncstate castoff must enter phd programm pronto or destoya hoolahoop prog two badly/corny kastoff mucho practice losing une faux pas as usual foli/amoeba experiment et foli recroot kasel knead go hopkins lab 4 study of y c'est les homme impersonate hoolahoopers et still smile 24/7/hambone stock fall wit rapidity, c'est l'homme kant shoot et das 13 l'ans pro bench warmer jim gym bag karrier knot teech shootin cuse hims knot shoot be4 or nowsa or everever moore et city das angels callin hims; pleezpleez go nowsa, danke
hes lost his fastball.
Sad really

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

I agree. Gibbs is just cold. He'll be huge for us in due time.

Adams is already good, and he isn't attacking the rim as much as he will once he's completely adjusted to the college game.

Both could be monsters come March. Hopefully that's the case.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I don't think we should bench Gibbs, but it seems clear to me that Adams is going to be the better player come March. Play both 25-30 minutes a game, and based on the match ups or how hot/cold they are you can give one more burn in a specific game, but I'll be surprised if it's Gibbs over Adams in crunch time for the most part.

Reaction Score
Gibbs good shooter, we need him, good player. On March 17th or 18th Jalen Adams should be on-court for opening tap.

Reaction Score
I love that JA came here to not only to become a great player. He clearly saw the responsibility given to our great guards and wants to own every part of that. I have a feeling JA is every bit the leader Khalid is/was.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I agree. Gibbs is just cold. He'll be huge for us in due time.

Adams is already good, and he isn't attacking the rim as much as he will once he's completely adjusted to the college game.

Both could be monsters come March. Hopefully that's the case.

I agree, Gibbs has not been bad this year. (maybe the Cuse game, it happens). My personal pimping of Jalen's playing time is way more about what he has given than what Gibbs hasnt. Its not a knock on Gibbs (or doesnt have to be) to endorse Jalen. I definitely believe Gibbs has a big role to play on this team and that he will play it. Gibbs with his excellent shooting (once it comes around) can really benefit from being on the court with Jalen at the same time. He will get some nice open looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom