Sporting News Ranks Best CBB Centers: #8 Amida Brimah | The Boneyard

Sporting News Ranks Best CBB Centers: #8 Amida Brimah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
10. Kaleb Tarczewski (Arizona)

9. Jameel McKay (Iowa State)

8. Amida Brimah
There are a lot of things in basketball Brimah does not do well and some of them are fundamental to the game. And yet, there is one thing that already has helped bring an NCAA championship to UConn and could get the Huskies back to the tournament for another go this March: Brimah blocks shots. He took down 121 last year, and an average of 3.5 per game, which was No. 2 in Division I last season. He still does not score and he certainly could afford to contribute more as a rebounder. But his impact at the defensive end can be game-changing.
7. Diamond Stone (Maryland)

6. Cheick Diallo (Kansas)

5. A.J. Hammons (Purdue)

4. Zach Auguste (Notre Dame)

3. Damian Jones (Vanderbilt)

2. Jakob Poetl (Utah)

1. Skal Labiessiere (Kentucky)

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4659683-ranking-best-top-10-centers-college-basketball-2015-16

Reaction Score
Meh, I think it's too easy to put skal and stone ahead based on expectations alone. Even if he was the best, he'd never get credit here at uconn

Reaction Score
I thought Brimah made a lot of strides on his game last year especially on offense. His biggest weakness is he's a very poor rebounder so hopefully that's something he can improve on.

Reaction Score
with the tone by which brimahs discussed on the yard, its hard to believe he's actually considered one of the best centers in the country.

I don't think it's that hard to believe depends what you're reading James. I know I would just like improvement but also said we're lucky to have him, not sure anyone has been mush worst that that? He's not #1 or #2 he's 8th as a center, hardly relative to a 1st round draft choice but the summary from the writer was spot on. If he improves where he's weak we improve - simple!

Reaction Score
Seems very, very fair. Skal at #1 is probably a push but that's the UK hype machine. Is it bad that I have absolutely no idea who the Vandy guy is?

Reaction Score
The only problem I have with these 'rankings' is the inclusion of freshman. These guys have not played a second of a college game, yet three are ranked. Just like politics, hype rules, I guess.

Reaction Score
Meh, I think it's too easy to put skal and stone ahead based on expectations alone. Even if he was the best, he'd never get credit here at uconn
Yes, much easier to get credit playing for a historical basketball powerhouse like Maryland...

Reaction Score
I don't think it's that hard to believe depends what you're reading James. I know I would just like improvement but also said we're lucky to have him, not sure anyone has been mush worst that that? He's not #1 or #2 he's 8th as a center, hardly relative to a 1st round draft choice but the summary from the writer was spot on. If he improves where he's weak we improve - simple!
he does in fact need to improve rebounding.

Reaction Score
The only problem I have with these 'rankings' is the inclusion of freshman. These guys have not played a second of a college game, yet three are ranked. Just like politics, hype rules, I guess.

Yes, everyone knows that every player in the freshman class will be worse than all the players in the older classes ;)

Reaction Score
My guess is that the writer responsible for the rankings has watched college basketball since the "one and done" rule went into effect and realizes that there's a good chance the highest rated Centers coming into college basketball are going to be amongst the best Centers in college basketball this year.

Reaction Score
My guess is that the writer responsible for the rankings has watched college basketball since the "one and done" rule went into effect and realizes that there's a good chance the highest rated Centers coming into college basketball are going to be amongst the best Centers in college basketball this year.

This is true and while some of the time overrated, most of the time not going to far out on that limb. But #1? Let's see him exhibit those tremendous skills against stronger more mature kids first, this is a bot far fetched but who knows, could be right.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Seems very, very fair. Skal at #1 is probably a push but that's the UK hype machine. Is it bad that I have absolutely no idea who the Vandy guy is?

Jones is a TANK. Saw him when the 'Dores played in the Barclays Center Classic last year. Extremely impressed with his size and his skills.

Reaction Score
No one ever seems to mention he is close to 70% from the field. His offense is not as bad as folks make out. I absolutely expect to average double digits in point this year.

Reaction Score
No one ever seems to mention he is close to 70% from the field. His offense is not as bad as folks make out. I absolutely expect to average double digits in point this year.
I agree with this whole-heartedly. IMO, he is leaps and bounds better than Thabeet ever was offensively (yes a very low bar, but comparable in terms of experience playing the game at a similar stage). Does he have a refined post game with two or three patented moves he can go to? Obviously not...but not many college bigs do. He converts alley-oops and can knock down an occasional face-up 12 footer and/or hook. It's really his rebounding that is the main knock against him, and I doubt any observer could dispute that.

Reaction Score

But you need to take into consideration that 90% of his FGA were dunks. He may have missed 4 dunks all of last year (generous number) so essentially all of his misses were on non-dunk FGA.

Anyone have an idea of what his FG% was on non-dunk FGA? My guess is probably closer to 40-45%, which, for a big man, is bad.

I love Amida and have no problem with the fact that majority of his FGA were alley oops and open dunks especially since he improved considerably from the free throw line. However, the 70% stat needs to be taken for what it is

EDIT: this doesn't mean i expect Amida to step out and shoot 20 footers and threes. I'm offering this to describe his need to improve his post moves, hook shots, etc., which with a healthy offseason I fully expect.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
But you need to take into consideration that 90% of his FGA were dunks. He may have missed 4 dunks all of last year (generous number) so essentially all of his misses were on non-dunk FGA.

Anyone have an idea of what his FG% was on non-dunk FGA? My guess is probably closer to 40-45%, which, for a big man, is bad.

I love Amida and have no problem with the fact that majority of his FGA were alley oops and open dunks especially since he improved considerably from the free throw line. However, the 70% stat needs to be taken for what it is

A dunk counts for two points. So does any other kind of field goal made behind the 3-point line. If he's focusing on dunks, then he's doing what's best in terms of helping the team score, which I have no problem with.

Reaction Score
A dunk counts for two points. So does any other kind of field goal made behind the 3-point line. If he's focusing on dunks, then he's doing what's best in terms of helping the team score, which I have no problem with.

Like I said in my post, I don't have an issue with how he scores either. But to say he's a 70% shooter needs to be taken for more than just face value. All I'm saying is that there is about 15%-20% or greater room for improvement on non-dunk FGA (40-45% to 55-65%)

Reaction Score

EDIT: this doesn't mean i expect Amida to step out and shoot 20 footers and threes. I'm offering this to describe his need to improve his post moves, hook shots, etc., which with a healthy offseason I fully expect.
I consider this to a be a plus not a minus. Guys who understand their roles and don't play outside their ability are a positive.

Reaction Score
I consider this to a be a plus not a minus. Guys who understand their roles and don't play outside their ability are a positive.

Well to be fair, Amida took a bunch of shots that weren't dunks and didn't shoot anywhere close to 70% on those attempts. Were all of those FGA him playing out of his "role"? If he understood his "role" as you implied it to be, then why attempt anything outside of a dunk?

By simply watching him play, you, me, and everyone else knows that his role included making moves both with is back to and away from the basket.

A big man that is inefficient in his ability to score when he isn't physically placing the ball in the hoop is not a plus. I don't think its beyond his role as a center to make post moves and score the ball from 10 ft and in.

Again, this isn't an attack on Amida-- I love the kid and think he's one of the best centers in the country, as many people do. BUT he isn't a scoring threat if he isn't open for a dunk or catching an alley-loop. I think thats a very fair conclusion to draw from what we have seen the last 2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom