Sporting News Ranks Best CBB Centers: #8 Amida Brimah | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sporting News Ranks Best CBB Centers: #8 Amida Brimah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Well to be fair, Amida took a bunch of shots that weren't dunks and didn't shoot anywhere close to 70% on those attempts. Were all of those FGA him playing out of his "role"? If he understood his "role" as you implied it to be, then why attempt anything outside of a dunk?

By simply watching him play, you, me, and everyone else knows that his role included making moves both with is back to and away from the basket.

A big man that is inefficient in his ability to score when he isn't physically placing the ball in the hoop is not a plus. I don't think its beyond his role as a center to make post moves and score the ball from 10 ft and in.

Again, this isn't an attack on Amida-- I love the kid and think he's one of the best centers in the country, as many people do. BUT he isn't a scoring threat if he isn't open for a dunk or catching an alley-loop. I think thats a very fair conclusion to draw from what we have seen the last 2 seasons.
He can consistently and efficiently hit a 15' jumper. We saw it sporadically last year and word is that he's hitting it with better confidence so far this year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The problem is, all of this speculation about "Dunk FG%" and "Non-Dunk FG%" has no grounding in statistical proof. It's inexact approximation based on visual opinions, which as we've seen in terms of Brimah before (specifically concerning the assertions that he's a terrible defender) aren't based that strongly in reality. It'd be just a valid for me to say "based on my own viewing, I believe that Brimah was closer to 55-60% on non-dunk FGs".

Reaction Score
He can consistently and efficiently hit a 15' jumper. We saw it sporadically last year and word is that he's hitting it with better confidence so far this year.

Which is awesome and shows how much improvement he is capable of making. All good things.

Any news on how he's doing with making post moves when he's being banged around in the post? That's really the crux of what I've been talking about.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Last time I checked dunks counted for a sure 2 points opposed to a regular shot which could miss, if Brimah wants to dunk the ball 60% of the time I'm ok with that. Who cares if they inflate his percentages.

Reaction Score
The problem is, all of this speculation about "Dunk FG%" and "Non-Dunk FG%" has no grounding in statistical proof. It's inexact approximation based on visual opinions, which as we've seen in terms of Brimah before (specifically concerning the assertions that he's a terrible defender) aren't based that strongly in reality. It'd be just a valid for me to say "based on my own viewing, I believe that Brimah was closer to 55-60% on non-dunk FGs".

Since there are no stats available then remove them from consideration. Instead answer this: How are you confident in him backing down an opponent, making a move, and scoring without dunking the ball? We all know he will attempt a move and then flail as soon as he gets touched.

Blaming that on his injury causing him to miss the offseason is perfectly acceptable in my mind. And I honestly hope that now that he has had a full offseason that he got stronger and developed his post game more.

And again, just because I brought this up doesn't mean I don't think he contributes or that he isn't good enough. I'm only bringing this up because I hope he improved in his weaker areas, i.e. post moves. We saw flashes of potential to be a low post scorer last season. This year, I expect him to be more consistent and stronger against is opposition in the post.

Reaction Score
Also, I'm not contesting that dunks are inferior to other 2-pt FGs. I never said that and didn't mean to imply it if I even did.

Reaction Score
I agree with this whole-heartedly. IMO, he is leaps and bounds better than Thabeet ever was offensively (yes a very low bar, but comparable in terms of experience playing the game at a similar stage).

Thabeet averaged 6.2, 10.5 & 13.6 in his three years. Amida is 4.1 , 9.1 so far. AB is .622 from the line, Thabeet was .625. AB is shooting at a .662 clip, Thabeet was .611. In what universe is Amida "leaps and bounds" better than Thabeet?

Reaction Score
Thabeet averaged 6.2, 10.5 & 13.6 in his three years. Amida is 4.1 , 9.1 so far. AB is .622 from the line, Thabeet was .625. AB is shooting at a .662 clip, Thabeet was .611. In what universe is Amida "leaps and bounds" better than Thabeet?

I think the point is more about offensive skillset (ie. taking out dunks). That does remove the value Brimah brings with how fluid of an athlete he is (Thabeet could not complete a lot of the lobs that Brimah does) but Thabeet (at least by his Junior year) did have better moves and was more developed offensively. I don't think this is a contentious statement but I'm sure I'll get killed by someone on here for it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My guess is that the writer responsible for the rankings has watched college basketball since the "one and done" rule went into effect and realizes that there's a good chance the highest rated Centers coming into college basketball are going to be amongst the best Centers in college basketball this year.

And this actually makes complete sense if you think about it. A big takes much longer to develop than, for example, a guard, who generally has ready made college game. Players used to stay longer, especially big men. So, with so many kids jumping early, no world class athletic bigs remain in college for their Jr/Sr and even soph years. The average guy, who is likely more limited athletically due to size, continues to get better until he's an upper classmen, but his talent level is so much lower, that the young guy can match up.

I know this is common sense, but I feel like this 'formula' holds for big men, more than any other position.

Reaction Score
But you need to take into consideration that 90% of his FGA were dunks. He may have missed 4 dunks all of last year (generous number) so essentially all of his misses were on non-dunk FGA.

Anyone have an idea of what his FG% was on non-dunk FGA? My guess is probably closer to 40-45%, which, for a big man, is bad.

Hey, I was just talking with the other nerds; you're not allowed to use stats anymore.

Reaction Score
Since there are no stats available then remove them from consideration. Instead answer this: How are you confident in him backing down an opponent, making a move, and scoring without dunking the ball? We all know he will attempt a move and then flail as soon as he gets touched.

Blaming that on his injury causing him to miss the offseason is perfectly acceptable in my mind. And I honestly hope that now that he has had a full offseason that he got stronger and developed his post game more.

And again, just because I brought this up doesn't mean I don't think he contributes or that he isn't good enough. I'm only bringing this up because I hope he improved in his weaker areas, i.e. post moves. We saw flashes of potential to be a low post scorer last season. This year, I expect him to be more consistent and stronger against is opposition in the post.
I just may go in to the play-by-plays tonight and compute the stats. Because I made the same exact sequence of arguments not long ago and was met with essentially the same responses

Reaction Score
I just may go in to the play-by-plays tonight and compute the stats. Because I made the same exact sequence of arguments not long ago and was met with essentially the same responses

What responses? "You're not allowed to just make up stats?"

Reaction Score
I don't think Amida is that bad offensively. He averaged 9.1 points last season and seems to have a decent touch. Heck, he scored 40 against Sisters of no Defense AKA Coppin State in mid December.

His two biggest weaknesses are rebounding and getting into foul trouble. If he can average 5 more minutes per game and grab 2-3 more boards per game, it will help the team immensely.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What responses? "You're not allowed to just make up stats?"
Talking about what he has been getting "it's still 2 points" "it's the most efficient way to score" "he should be doing that"

Basically people missing the point

Reaction Score
I think the point is more about offensive skillset (ie. taking out dunks). That does remove the value Brimah brings with how fluid of an athlete he is (Thabeet could not complete a lot of the lobs that Brimah does) but Thabeet (at least by his Junior year) did have better moves and was more developed offensively. I don't think this is a contentious statement but I'm sure I'll get killed by someone on here for it.
I think many posters here are forgetting how good, besides the blocks, Thabeet was by his junior year. Over 13 points and over 10 rebounds a game. If AB gets anywhere near those numbers we will be hard to beat. AB is more graceful than Thabeet, but Hash was much stronger in his base and could finish through contact down low. The idea that using Hash as an offensive model is "setting the bar low" is an absurd statement.

Reaction Score
Talking about what he has been getting "it's still 2 points" "it's the most efficient way to score" "he should be doing that"

Basically people missing the point

No, the people bitching about style points are the ones who are missing the point. If "dunking all the time" were so easy, more guys would do it. And, again, this "40-45%" number came out of thin air. Saying "Brimah isn't a good offensive player if you take out most of his baskets because of this stat that is really just a complete guess on my part" is the shoddiest analysis I've ever seen. If you say you were criticized for saying the same thing, then I say good. That means we still have a pulse.

Reaction Score
I think many posters here are forgetting how good, besides the blocks, Thabeet was by his junior year. Over 13 points and over 10 rebounds a game. If AB gets anywhere near those numbers we will be hard to beat. AB is more graceful than Thabeet, but Hash was much stronger in his base and could finish through contact down low. The idea that using Hash as an offensive model is "setting the bar low" is an absurd statement.
He was definitely more skilled offensively and stronger during his Junior year. I will say though, I don't miss having a center who brings a rebound down to his waist and gets it stripped constantly. While Brimah doesn't rebound as well, he does more with what he gets IMO.

Reaction Score
The point

Your head
Believe me, I'm quite aware that I wasn't responding to the point that the poster was trying to make.... Doesn't exactly change the fact that my statement was correctly pointing out a flaw in the logic. Thanks for your genius clarification.

Reaction Score
No, the people bitching about style points are the ones who are missing the point. If "dunking all the time" were so easy, more guys would do it. And, again, this "40-45%" number came out of thin air. Saying "Brimah isn't a good offensive player if you take out most of his baskets because of this stat that is really just a complete guess on my part" is the shoddiest analysis I've ever seen. If you say you were criticized for saying the same thing, then I say good. That means we still have a pulse.
I'm not missing anything; I'm the one making the point. I can't miss my own point.

And I didn't say any of those quotes. i'm not making any guesses. I did say I'm going to calculate his non-dunk FG percentage to see what kind of production he is getting without getting easy alley-oops set up by his team mates. I did predict earlier that there is a big disparity between the overall and non-dunn FG% and that's why some may say he is limited offensively.

Reaction Score
Believe me, I'm quite aware that I wasn't responding to the point that the poster was trying to make.... Doesn't exactly change the fact that my statement was correctly pointing out a flaw in the logic. Thanks for your genius clarification.
But that's not the logic he was using. Thus the missed point. No need to get angrily sarcastic.

Reaction Score
Non-dunk %?

I think my head is going to explode. WTF. I judge Brimah better on O than Thabeet. That has a lot to do with movement & flow. I can't understand why he isn't a better rebounder. Confounding.

Reaction Score
All I know is Bazz was ranked #5 a couple of years ago. We all know he was the best point guard in the nation. Oh and Harrison of uk was ranked higher.

So take that for the value of these lists and SN's cred. Linky

Reaction Score
I'm not missing anything; I'm the one making the point. I can't miss my own point.

And I didn't say any of those quotes. i'm not making any guesses. I did say I'm going to calculate his non-dunk FG percentage to see what kind of production he is getting without getting easy alley-oops set up by his team mates. I did predict earlier that there is a big disparity between the overall and non-dunn FG% and that's why some may say he is limited offensively.

You've missed the point of basketball, which is to score baskets. Brimah is an efficient scorer on offense, in large part because of how good he is at finishing on lobs near the rim. You're acting like this is something that anyone can do, and that Brimah isn't very good because he only scores on some made-up percentage of other shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom