Spoke to Dana O'Neil in the LiveChat... | The Boneyard

Spoke to Dana O'Neil in the LiveChat...

• Thread starter Deleted member 3149
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3149

I posted the following, this was her response...

• That's the million-dollar question. My guess is they'll go somewhere. We're at the point where it's dodgeball at recess. No one wants to pick last so the 'power' conferences are going to start looking over what's left and saying I want so and so. One of them eventually will want UConn
    by Dana O'Neil 2:48 PM

• Conference realignment...thoughts on what happens with Uconn?
    by UConn99_04_11 2:47 PM

Reaction Score
I suspect that the b1g can pick last because they can stay at 14. Which leaves the acc as the only solid opportunity. I hope I am wrong but why would the b12 move to the northeast.

Reaction Score
Ultimately that's my theory as well. Are our days as a basketbal power over? I suppose there's a chance they might be if we're in Conference America for the rest of eternity....or long enough where we're already off the map by the time the next round of realignment happens. But who actually thinks that realignment is over? There's a 0% chance that it's over.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I've seen that word used a couple times on this board in the last couple days. Not a huge fan. There are a lot of words in the English language; pick another one.

Reaction Score
I've seen that word used a couple times on this board in the last couple days. Not a huge fan. There are a lot of words in the English language; pick another one.
Ask Fishy for some replacements. He uses plenty of good ones.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

No.

It's like a little bit of Britain here on the Boneyard.

Don't be so provincial.

Reaction Score
Do you guys remember when she did that piece on Stanley Robinson a few years back? It was actually a really nice story, well-written and showed Stan (and the program) in a good light.
Anytime someone* in the media writes a story that's perceived by a poster on this board as negative towards us they immediately post their vitriol and the rest of the lemmings follow suit. Get over it, the world would be a boring place if everyone shared the same opinion.

*note - this does not apply to Jeff Goodman, who may be the biggest tool in the national hoops media.

Reaction Score
We do not need a word police over here Nomar. Heck man ain't so bad. And some of u guys and girls are so sensitive . Oh "I am so offended" I worked with a guy like that and he was such a nusance and baby.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
We do not need a word police over here Nomar. Heck man ain't so bad. And some of u guys and girls are so sensitive . Oh "I am so offended" I worked with a guy like that and he was such a nusance and baby.

Cool post bro. In all facets. Just a terrific post. I look forward to more contributions from you.

Reaction Score
Do you guys remember when she did that piece on Stanley Robinson a few years back? It was actually a really nice story, well-written and showed Stan (and the program) in a good light.
Anytime someone* in the media writes a story that's perceived by a poster on this board as negative towards us they immediately post their vitriol and the rest of the lemmings follow suit. Get over it, the world would be a boring place if everyone shared the same opinion.

*note - this does not apply to Jeff Goodman, who may be the biggest tool in the national hoops media.

Come on! Dana O'Neil said UConn forgot what it was, a nice regional university that tried to punch above its weight. Please.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No.

It's like a little bit of Britain here on the Boneyard.

Don't be so provincial.

Ah you takin the piss outta me guvnah?

The problem is, the British accent (which comically makes it rhyme with "at," thereby de-stinging it) doesn't come through on the screen.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I had to insure I understood things. Thanks guys for allowing me to get the following nuggets. BTW I was trying to figure out who the twit was in all these posts only to find out that in GB is a derogatory insult, a prjorative meaning a fool, a stronger alternative to the word twit. Personally I think the word would get a lot more attention if Tweety Bird or Barry Kripke uttered it.

First nugget:
The word twat has various functions. It is a vulgar synonym for the human vulva,[1] but is more widely used as a derogatory epithet, especially in British English. The word may originate from Old Norse þveit meaning cut, slit, or forest clearing.[1]

Second nugget:
Robert Browning famously misused the term in his 1841 poem "Pippa Passes", believing it to be an item of nun's clothing:[2]
Then owls and bats
Cowls and twats
Monks and nuns in a cloister's moods
Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry
Its meaning was in reality the same then as now, Browning's misconception probably having arisen from a line in a 1660 satirical poem, Vanity of Vanities:
They talk't of his having a Cardinalls Hat
They'd send him as soon an Old Nuns

Third nugget:
Another mistaken (or perhaps dialectal) use was in Edward Bulwer-Lytton's 1870 science fiction novel The Coming Race, in an apparent satire on Darwin:
Among the pithy sayings which, according to tradition, the philosopher bequeathed to posterity in rhythmical form and sententious brevity, this is notably recorded: "Humble yourselves, my descendants; the father of your race was a 'twat' : exalt yourselves, my descendants, for it was the same Divine Thought which created your father that develops itself in exalting you."

BTW, in this case the word "twat" means tadpole.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's what Brits say instead of the c-word. Same meaning(s), same use(s).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's what Brits say instead of the c-word. Same meaning(s), same use(s).
Obviously. Interesting derivation.

Reaction Score
Come on! Dana O'Neil said UConn forgot what it was, a nice regional university that tried to punch above its weight. Please.

She's obviously made some foolish comments but she's also a big Ollie proponent and has commended him on numerous occasions. You can take a small sample of anyones work and skew it to suit your argument. And the post wasn't solely regarding ONeil either. Look it annoys me when reporters say negative things about our team too, but they're reporters, not fans- doesn't mean they have some vendetta.

Reaction Score
She's obviously made some foolish comments but she's also a big Ollie proponent and has commended him on numerous occasions. You can take a small sample of anyones work and skew it to suit your argument. And the post wasn't solely regarding ONeil either. Look it annoys me when reporters say negative things about our team too, but they're reporters, not fans- doesn't mean they have some vendetta.

Her statement was so totally over the top--it was the most hyperbolic I've heard yet. if that's her level of analysis, she really does deserve to get ripped.

Reaction Score
See Nomar, I am right. Trying to be a word cop on the yard is futile. I do bring plenty to the table so don't give me that holier than thou stuff , none the less I do like you and you are a good poster who I value very much. Your thoughts and insights are good. Peace and happy holidays.

Reaction Score
The derivation of its slang usage comes from the similarity in shape of its original meaning as a tadpole.

Reaction Score
Wow "twat" became a hairy subject in this thread. Maybe just some old bald guys?!?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom