OT: - Speaking of GOATS | The Boneyard

OT: Speaking of GOATS

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In the entire history of baseball there were so many great pitchers, it’s hard to definitively say that one was the GOAT, particularly if you include great pitchers like Leroy Robert “Satchel” Paige, who spent most of his prime in the Negro Leagues.

With that said, Nolan Ryan is certainly on a very short list of pitchers I would consider as the best ever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree
In the entire history of baseball there were so man great pitchers, it’s hard to definitively say that one was the GOAT, particularly if you include great pitchers like Leroy Robert “Satchel” Paige, who spent most of his prime in the Negro Leagues.

With that said, Nolan Ryan is certainly on a very short list of pitchers I would consider as the best ever.
Issued the most walks in history ..more than 1000 walks than #2.

Reaction Score
In the entire history of baseball there were so many great pitchers, it’s hard to definitively say that one was the GOAT, particularly if you include great pitchers like Leroy Robert “Satchel” Paige, who spent most of his prime in the Negro Leagues.

Issued the most walks in baseball history..1000 more than the runner-up...He certaintly is the walk goat.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Ryan had hard throwing, cussedness, and longevity going for him. But if I were putting together an 11- or 12-man pitching staff, he wouldn't be on it, even if I were picking from among his contemporaries. He was exciting to watch, definitely a hall-of-famer, but I wouldn't say he's close to top-ten.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Every other game in BB today has a Nolan Ryan performance. Just split over a starter and 3+ relievers. Lost any interest in this version of BB. Make them pitch from second base. :oops:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Every other game in BB today has a Nolan Ryan performance. Just split over a starter and 3+ relievers. Lost any interest in this version of BB. Make them pitch from second base. :oops:
There is discussion about moving the mound back, although not quite to 2nd base. I would argue for eliminating the mound altogether and making pitchers throw from flat ground.

As information, the overall batting average for MLB is the lowest it’s been since 1968. In 1969, MLB lowered the mound to its present height.

Come to think about it, forget about making pitchers throw from flat ground. Let’s have them pitch out of a hole in the ground. That should even things up......

Reaction Score

I have a very hard time watching it as well. If you're lucky the starter will go 5 innings then it is a succession of relief pitchers. MLB did the right thing for once when it ruled a relief pitcher has to face more than 1 batter before being taken out. It was driving me crazy to see teams bring in one guy just to face one particular batter, then bring someone else in etc etc. As far as I am concerned MLB needs to rule that a pitcher cannot be taken out except for injury, giving up several runs in 1 inning, loading up the bases or something like that.
And do not get me started on the exaggerated over shifts that are being used in the field today...

Reaction Score
There was a recent article on ESPN talking about the current state of baseball. Many of the big name major leaguers of the 70's and 80's are quite dismayed over what MLB has become and say the modern version of the game (all or nothing homerun swings on every pitch, etc.) is unwatchable for them. And, the same style of play is trickling down to college and high school ball as well.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There was a recent article on ESPN talking about the current state of baseball. Many of the big name major leaguers of the 70's and 80's are quite dismayed over what MLB has become and say the modern version of the game (all or nothing homerun swings on every pitch, etc.) is unwatchable for them. And, the same style of play is trickling down to college and high school ball as well.
Baseball deserves what it gets. Owners and players cant work together to improve the product.

Reaction Score
It is always about the money and when arbitration came in and teams low balled players for “lack of power” numbers, the offensive game changed. Free agency had already compromised continuity of rosters. Unfortunately for the game, both of those were “necessary” changes due to the unrelenting greed of the owners.
The numbers say otherwise but I don’t believe pitching is that much better but hitting a baseball was always incredibly hard for the greatest of players and has become ridiculously poor with the “one size fits all” approach of if you swing, swing for the fences.

Reaction Score

Kudos to you for acknowledging Satchel Paige, Old Dude--Paige had one of the greatest feats in baseball when incredibly at the age of 59 1/2 years, he pitched 3 innings for the Kansas City A's and gave up only 1 hit: to Yaz, the great BoSox Hall-of-Famer. People foam at the mouth at what Brady is doing in his 40s, and rightly so--but can you imagine someone pitching in the majors at age 60?!!!! Dizzy Dean himself said Paige threw the most incredible array of pitches he'd ever seen. It is unfortunate that Paige played in an era that caused him to be largely unknown, so thanks for recognizing him!

Reaction Score
My choice: Walter Johnson! However, for pitchers in my era, my favorite is :The Big Unit, aka Randy Johnson! One of the most intimidating pitchers of all time!

Reaction Score
I was a huge Ryan fan went to Texas and Cleveland to see him pitch his last year and to his hall of fame induction but no he is not the goat
Aleays stunned me that he led the league in era one year with a 8-16 record

Reaction Score
Sandy Koufax gets my vote. But Ryan and the others mentioned here are worthy of being included in the debate.

A long long time ago, my parents took me to Ebbets field every year for my birthday. ( that’s what they told me but looking back, my mother was an avid Dodgers fan.) We were there on May 12, 1956 when Carl Erskine pitched a no-hitter against Willie Mays and the Giants. I bring this up to follow the chat here about the current status of the game. The game on May 12, 1956 was played in 2 hours and 10 minutes. My wife and I went to a Phillies game a couple of years ago. We left in the 6th inning after watching it for over 3 hours. I agree with the poster who said it has become unwatchable.

I’ve mentioned this before but just to confirm....I’m not older than dirt but I was there when they discovered it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sandy Koufax is the greatest ever. Too bad he had to retire because of arthritis.
Speaking of Koufax, tonight the White Sox Carlos Rodon, with a lifetime record of 33-33, became the first pitcher since Sandy Koufax to strike out the first 5 Yankees in order at Yankee Stadium.

In the middle of the 7th, the score is 0-0 and the pitchers have combined for 24 strikeouts. Modern day baseball is really hard to watch..........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom