Sparty is serious | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sparty is serious

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If we win all three? One would be an achievement.
Here is reality. What good team sees us on the schedule now and has any qualms about facing us? Not that we can't pull off a good win or two, but it's been a few years since we worried many teams. Beating a good team is falling into upset territory. KO gets this year to show a better product. Meaning at least a top four in the league which up and down the league is no match for the Big East we played in. If he can't do that, he's had enough time to show what he can do. I think lot's of folks would be looking at him far differently had Brimah not saved us against St. Joes. That team was erratic throughout the season, but, to Ollie's credit, played very well, especially on D, the rest of the tournament. I'll give KO credit when it looks like he's gotten the team to play consistent, energetic team ball on a regular basis. Losing to a better team is one thing, Playing disorganized is another.

I stopped reading when you said, "here is reality" about games that haven't been played yet...

Reaction Score
By Dec 30th we will have played Cuse, Nova and Wichita State, so that’s just 1 month from now. Should those games go badly will that be the right time for the button?
We can beat all of those teams.

Reaction Score
Thank god someone is going to be able to stand up to Duke this year. Cant let Grayson Allen get bookend National Chamionships.

They are not winning it all. They play no defense. They’ve gotten lucky with their unstoppable offense down stretches. It will eventually catch up to them. Also, Duval is not a good enough PG to bring a team all the way. Most talented team? Yes. If not most talented, then close to it. Doubt they make it past the second weekend.

Reaction Score
If we win all three? One would be an achievement.
Here is reality. What good team sees us on the schedule now and has any qualms about facing us? Not that we can't pull off a good win or two, but it's been a few years since we worried many teams. Beating a good team is falling into upset territory. KO gets this year to show a better product. Meaning at least a top four in the league which up and down the league is no match for the Big East we played in. If he can't do that, he's had enough time to show what he can do. I think lot's of folks would be looking at him far differently had Brimah not saved us against St. Joes. That team was erratic throughout the season, but, to Ollie's credit, played very well, especially on D, the rest of the tournament. I'll give KO credit when it looks like he's gotten the team to play consistent, energetic team ball on a regular basis. Losing to a better team is one thing, Playing disorganized is another.
I think folks are bringing up this St Joe’s game a little too liberally. Brimah made a great play to keep us in it, but we were hands down the better team, especially when you consider what the same team did to Nova, Iowa St (the replacement for Niang scored like 50 points so no reason to hold his absence against us), and then bossed MSG, prior to cutting the nets down again.

The last couple of years teams have been frustratingly and somewhat incredibly flawed. I’ll stick with this regime until I’m convinced Ollie is the reason why.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I stopped reading when you said, "here is reality" about games that haven't been played yet...

Well, if you’d bothered to read, you would know that what I wrote after that phrase had nothing to do with predicting anything. So how do I take your ability to discuss anything if you don’t even know what you’re disagreeing with?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well, if you’d bothered to read, you would know that what I wrote after that phrase had nothing to do with predicting anything. So how do I take your ability to discuss anything if you don’t even know what you’re disagreeing with?

Oh, let me summarize.

First, you seemed pessimistic at the prospect of winning even one of the aforementioned three games.

Second, you gave Ollie a one year opportunity to meet what you felt were your demands for remaining on board.

Third, you marginalized the achievement of a national championship by saying what if Brimah didn't make the shot. (If my aunt had cojones, she'd be my uncle)

How did I do?

Thanks for the "reality"...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Oh, let me summarize.

First, you seemed pessimistic at the prospect of winning even one of the aforementioned three games.

Second, you gave Ollie a one year opportunity to meet what you felt were your demands for remaining on board.

Third, you marginalized the achievement of a national championship by saying what if Brimah didn't make the shot. (If my aunt had cojones, she'd be my uncle)

How did I do?

Thanks for the "reality"...

Lousy. You read it with an attitude. Very bad trait. If you think the trademark of his teams, including the NC year, has been consistency, tell me, if you disagree with me that beating good teams has become upset territory for the last few years, tell me and make your case with examples. I said the NC run was great , but the play during that year was erratic. Show me where I was wrong. How has missing the big dance and not making the NIT escaped your attention since the NC run. Make a case based on what has happened. No emotion, just information.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Lousy. You read it with an attitude. Very bad trait. If you think the trademark of his teams, including the NC year, has been consistency, tell me, if you disagree with me that beating good teams has become upset territory for the last few years, tell me and make your case with examples. I said the NC run was great , but the play during that year was erratic. Show me where I was wrong. How has missing the big dance and not making the NIT escaped your attention since the NC run. Make a case based on what has happened. No emotion, just information.

Nope. You responded to relative optimism with pessimism, one of the worst traits. As if you couldn't let optimism go unchecked. Many feel that need on this board. You know... the need to share the "realism"...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Nope. You responded to relative optimism with pessimism, one of the worst traits. As if you couldn't let optimism go unchecked. Many feel that need on this board. You know... the need to share the "realism"...
Okay. Enjoy the show.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think folks are bringing up this St Joe’s game a little too liberally. Brimah made a great play to keep us in it, but we were hands down the better team, especially when you consider what the same team did to Nova, Iowa St (the replacement for Niang scored like 50 points so no reason to hold his absence against us), and then bossed MSG, prior to cutting the nets down again.

The last couple of years teams have been frustratingly and somewhat incredibly flawed. I’ll stick with this regime until I’m convinced Ollie is the reason why.

Agreed. Using "what ifs?" regarding Brimah's play vs. St. Joe's just to conveniently fit a "fire Ollie" narrative is disingenuous.

Reaction Score
I hear you on inconsistency. I think that’s mostly based on shooting. What worries me about thus team and the rest of the year, is inconsistency on the defensive end. Ollie has to get that fixed, or it could be his downfall.

Reaction Score
3A92A961-6E44-4DBC-AD28-297751949F6E.jpeg
Good. So don't watch the game...
you do realize we don’t play Nova in Dec smh

Reaction Score
Thank god someone is going to be able to stand up to Duke this year. Cant let Grayson Allen get bookend National Chamionships.

That should be a good game but I think Coach K is hanging another banner this year. Duke beat MSU convincingly earlier this year without Marvin Bagley III, the best freshman since Kevin Durant, for most of it. Izzo teams always get better as the year goes on, but so do Coach K teams.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Currently bending #5 Notre Dame over, up 21 with 2 minutes left in the first half.
I was at the MSU/Duke game a few weeks back. It was a great college basketball game. A ton of talent on the floor for both teams. Bagley got hurt early and only played 10 minutes. Tripping Allen had 37 and Trevon Duval is a heck of a player. With Bagley and Wendell Carter down low the Dukies have a nice inside/outside mix. The best player on the floor that night IMO was Jaren Jackson of MSU. Very smooth. His play against UConn where he politely bumped TL out of the way and then dunked on him was impressive. I'll take Duke, MSU and Nova and give the field.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
People think we are going to give Nova and W State a game? Also, that our first half versus M state was impressive? Yikes.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
People think we are going to give Nova and W State a game? Also, that our first half versus M state was impressive? Yikes.

Translation: "Fans of 'our' team are actually rooting for 'our' team! How stupid!"

:rolleyes:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Translation: "Fans of 'our' team are actually rooting for 'our' team! How stupid!"

:rolleyes:

That is fine that you assume everything is going to work out. You are free to live your life anyway you like, however I choose to live differently not sure why that makes me "stupid"

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
That is fine that you assume everything is going to work out. You are free to live your life anyway you like, however I choose to live differently not sure why that makes me "stupid"

Clearly your reading comprehension suffers. I didn't call you stupid. I translated your comment as to suggest that anyone who thinks this team can beat Nova and W State are stupid. And I'm positive that I was accurate in my translation of your message...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom