OT: - Sparks Player Arrested for Burglary & Assault | The Boneyard

OT: Sparks Player Arrested for Burglary & Assault

Reaction Score
LA Sparks and former University of Miami guard Riquna Williams was arrested last Monday for an incident that occurred last December. She allegedly broke into the home of her ex-girlfriend near Miami, beat her up, and used a gun to threaten a guy who broke up the fight (apparently a large gun, as she warned the guy, "You'll get all 18!").

Still listed on Sparks roster as of tonight.

Reaction Score
She may be listed on the Sparks roster, but she is an unrestricted free agent who has not yet signed a contract with anyone. I think the Sparks were expected to resign her, but probably not now.

Reaction Score
Why was she the first person I thought of when I read the headline before clicking on the page.

Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
LA Sparks and former University of Miami guard Riquna Williams was arrested last Monday for an incident that occurred last December. She allegedly broke into the home of her ex-girlfriend near Miami, beat her up, and used a gun to threaten a guy who broke up the fight (apparently a large gun, as she warned the guy, "You'll get all 18!").

Sounds like a full sized double stack 9MM. Terrible story.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
When I read this story this morning, I thought about Chamique Holsclaw situation. It's a very sad situation. She has messed up her career.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why she isn't already serving time for aggravated assault is beyond me.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Why she isn't already serving time for aggravated assault is beyond me.
Her case hasn't been adjudicated yet. Nothing unusual about being free on bond while awaiting trial.

The questionable part is the league's inaction and the Sparks' decision to re-sign her despite full awareness of the nature of the charges against her.

I suppose it's a testament to the WNBA's relative obscurity that the league and the franchise can get away with this in today's climate.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I was really annoyed with the light touch they took towards this in the ABC telecast. Just "off-the-court troubles" no mention of domestic violence.

If a male pro athlete were accused of that, there would be all sorts of outrage. Not only the league but the overall WNBA media seems happy to let this slide. I'm talking not only ESPN/ABC but also writers & bloggers. Props to Megdal for digging deeper on the facts here.

It's really disappointing for a league that trumpets how progressive it is on certain issues to just ignore the allegations against Williams.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Maybe this is another inept attempt by the WNBA brass to put fannies in the seats. Head bang

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Williams was booked April 29 for burglary and aggravated assault charges.

For an incident in early December, 2018... which was my point. Lawyer that I am I'm reasonably familiar with the book/indict/plead, trial, jail thing. And I plan on again watching court TV and staying at one of those Hotels where you get smarter.

This thing is being "slow walked" with a vengeance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Williams was booked April 29 for burglary and aggravated assault charges. She pleaded not guilty on May 6 and a hearing was set for June 6. (article) She either posted a bond, or was released on her on recognizance until June 6. It's possible for her attorney to have this case continued until AFTER the WNBA season is finished if he/she makes that motion to the court, and the DA does not object (agrees) to it.

Usually the two attorneys agree on this BEFORE the defense attorney makes that motion to the court.

I'm sure you're familiar with our judicial system. No one can begin to serve time in a correctional facility unless/until they either plead or are found guilty by trial. That has not happened yet in her case. It appears the Sparks are giving her the benefit of the doubt, and allowing her to play until this case has been adjudicated.

There's no guarantee she'll do any jail time at all. There may not be a trial. Her attorney may work a "deal" with the DA where she gets probation for x number of years, pay a modest fine, and completes X number of anger management classes by a certain date. Jail time in her case is not a sure thing.

It depends on what the DA's office (not the bench officer) wants or is willing to accept to adjudicate this case. If the two attorneys can find a "happy medium" that both sides are willing to accept, the bench office usually goes along with it. On the other hand, the DA might insist on some jail time. That remains to be seen.

This is an example of talent trumping character. There may be other WNBA teams that would do the same, and some that would not. That final decision (I would think) would ultimately fall on the owner of the team.
Is she really that talented? Honestely, I've never heard of this player.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Well, everyone has bad days, I guess.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Yet another point of comparison that puts the shame on the WNBA and the Sparks:

Riquna shouldn't be playing until this is situated. As a player I wouldn't feel comfortable having a teammate with pending assault/gun charges in my locker room. Just my 2 cents.

Reaction Score
No doubt the WNBA has policies and protocols in place to deal with matters of this nature. It's extremely rare for a current WNBA player to get arrested or charged with a crime.
Odyssey Sims got arrested the other day. Griner & Glory Johnson for domestic abuse. DT for extreme DUI. Holdsclaw aggravated assault. Brandy Reed marijuana possession. Deanna Nolan domestic battery. It’s not uncommon at all. What exactly is the WNBA policy?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Riquna shouldn't be playing until this is situated. As a player I wouldn't feel comfortable having a teammate with pending assault/gun charges in my locker room. Just my 2 cents.
You’re cool... but you gots to be joking, correct?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul