Spanos | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Spanos

Reaction Score
Agreed. I have to say I was expecting way more from Dillon Harris. He is slow and a non factor every game.
That Defensive end position is a weak spot no matter who is playing there. Dillion appears to be undersize for that position. Navy seemed to be running a lot more plays at Dillion and away from Kevon Jones.

Reaction Score
Spanos is 48. Edsall is 62.

I think I’m feeling an ideal way forward. Edsall actually does a lot of good things ... considering the friggjng mess Diaco left. So. I like Spanos & can see him going forward; I like a bunch of the young Offense playmakers + OLine - but Giufre should go back from OC.

Spanos HC in waiting. Randy Emeritus. New OC. More more recruiting youth. Seems like Weiss & Moyseenko & young Edsall + Dottin-Carter have brought some juice to the process.

Reaction Score
I wanted RE to succeed, however, I'd love to see Spanos be the coach. I thought I'd give Randy another year, but I think it's time to move on. If we can get some new coaches, who has the drive like Spanos has, we might be better next year!

Saying that, I still think that we will get a third win...which is better than last year! RE is going to drive Spanos away, and I think he'll help the team!
We won’t get a third win. Three teams that can beat us up bad.

Reaction Score
Sorry to be negative, but not really. I like Coyle, but Watch Tyvon Branch and then watch Coyle. He’s not nearly physical enough and doesn’t impact the game enough to be considered a “great player.” He made some tackles and ran down some guys that got through the third level with ease. There was really nothing spectacular about that. When have you ever seen him blow up a play in the backfield or deliver a big hit on a receiver over the middle? He’s solid but quite a stretch to say he is a great player in my opinion. Also, wasn’t really a steal from in the state considering his only other offers were from central, Rhode Island, Maine, umass, and Temple.

He doesn’t blow people up but he’s always there. He makes so many score stopping plays I can’t keep track. It seems like every time someone is about to score and has one man to beat, if the guy gets tackled, it’s Coyle that gets him. We’d be much worse without him. He may not be great, but on this team, he sure looks good.

I meant he was a steal because based on what we’ve seen, he should have had plenty of good FBS offers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I think I’m feeling an ideal way forward. Edsall actually does a lot of good things ... considering the friggjng mess Diaco left. So. I like Spanos & can see him going forward; I like a bunch of the young Offense playmakers + OLine - but Giufre should go back from OC.

Spanos HC in waiting. Randy Emeritus. New OC. More more recruiting youth. Seems like Weiss & Moyseenko & young Edsall + Dottin-Carter have brought some juice to the process.

This seems kind of arbitrary. Is there any evidence Spanos can run a program? We need as close to a sure thing as we can get. This is dire.

Reaction Score

What do you see in Spanos that makes you think he is a head coach that can turn this disaster around? I love his passion, I do, but I don’t see any head coaching experience at all. And to be fair this defense is horrific. It’s not like he is working miracles.He would be way down on the list for potential head coaches.

Reaction Score
I’m reaching

if I’m on the committee to select a new UCONN HC or AD ... my top choices - and economically viable - are Lance Leipold of Buffalo & Creighton of Eastern Michigan. Both won big at loved level. Both took rundown MAC programs and turned them completely competitive through all position groups. (I don’t care about their 2020 season too much). Leipold has the edge because he had to recruit to Buffalo in the same basic markets as UConn - NYS, NE ,PA, NJ MD/DC/VA, + FL & GA & he has Michigan & Ohio credibility

and he makes far less than what UCONN has been paying our last 3 HCs

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Sorry to be negative, but not really. I like Coyle, but Watch Tyvon Branch and then watch Coyle. He’s not nearly physical enough and doesn’t impact the game enough to be considered a “great player.” He made some tackles and ran down some guys that got through the third level with ease. There was really nothing spectacular about that. When have you ever seen him blow up a play in the backfield or deliver a big hit on a receiver over the middle? He’s solid but quite a stretch to say he is a great player in my opinion. Also, wasn’t really a steal from in the state considering his only other offers were from central, Rhode Island, Maine, umass, and Temple.

I have witnessed them both and they are different players. Coyle is going to play on the next level and do it for a long time as long as he doesn't get hurt.
He moves better side to side than Branch did in my opinion and is a free safety not a strong safety.

Reaction Score
I have witnessed them both and they are different players. Coyle is going to play on the next level and do it for a long time as long as he doesn't get hurt.
He moves better side to side than Branch did in my opinion and is a free safety not a strong safety.

Play on the Next level meaning NFL? I will bet you any amount of money Tyler Coyle does not play in the NFL.

Reaction Score
Play on the Next level meaning NFL? I will bet you any amount of money Tyler Coyle does not play in the NFL.
He'll play in the NFL. No question bro. So will OT Peart. Just because we're a bad football team as a whole doesn't mean we don't have guys that can translate their games to the next level.

Reaction Score
Defense overall is smallish. Two 6 footers on Dline, one is 220lbs. Lbs are 190-210 lbs. 2 starters missing in backfield and it showed up big time. I would bet Navy has a bigger D save T Jones than us.

Reaction Score
He'll play in the NFL. No question bro. So will OT Peart. Just because we're a bad football team as a whole doesn't mean we don't have guys that can translate their games to the next level.

I know Peart will. He’s projected as a 2-4th rounder.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
If Edsall is here come 12/1 or whenever that buyout date is, Spanos is gone. Mark it down now, he is gone.
RE's inability to let his coaches do their jobs is killing this rebuild. Killing it. This includes the OC. He's not completely incapable of calling plays (although the QB coach is calling most anyway) except when handcuffed each week by RE.
RE needs to be shown the door in December.
If AD David Benedict has the guts to do so, he also needs to also avoid the mass exodus of RS Jrs on Senior Day by holding off on deciding who stays and who goes until a new coach is hired. It may get very ugly in terms of roster #'s.

Reaction Score
If Edsall is here come 12/1 or whenever that buyout date is, Spanos is gone. Mark it down now, he is gone.
RE's inability to let his coaches do their jobs is killing this rebuild. Killing it. This includes the OC. He's not completely incapable of calling plays (although the QB coach is calling most anyway) except when handcuffed each week by RE.
If AD David Benedict has the guts to do so, he also needs to also avoid the mass exodus of RS Jrs on Senior Day by holding off on deciding who stays and who goes until a new coach is hired. It may get very ugly in terms of roster #'s.

I think he is gone regardless.

Reaction Score
When RE was brought in a second time many (including me) hoped that the MD experience might have made him a little more introspective and therefore a better leader. It did not. Fragile ego and need to control go hand in hand. He will not get UConn FB where it needs to be.

Reaction Score
With all that's happened (tons of losing) these now 3 years with Coach Edsall, I get the last 3 guys' comments. They believe he's gone.. But, quite honestly, I gotta see that to believe, considering the rebuilding he mentioned when he first got back. He told us it's gonna be tough and we're pretty much starting all over. And, for all instensive purposes, it certainly looks as though that has happened. (not looking forward to Saturday's game at Cincy, on their homecoming).

Yes, we suck (Fact).. but, I hate to break it to the guys that feel he's a goner... He's not.. It's all a part of what we're doing going fwd. It's an unfortunate expectation by the folks above him . Now, next year, that's a different story.. If we suck like this next year around this time, I don't think he'll make it past week 5...

ZERO excuses next year.. ZERO....

Reaction Score
Do any of you know Spanos is gone for sure or are you just speculating? If Edsall is really running Spanos off, we've got a real problem. Spanos looks like the only coach on the team that has the energy and passion to motivate the kids. He's also improved the D quite a bit. If these kids could tackle for a damn, we'd be presentable.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Do any of you know Spanos is gone for sure or are you just speculating? If Edsall is really running Spanos off, we've got a real problem. Spanos looks like the only coach on the team that has the energy and passion to motivate the kids. He's also improved the D quite a bit. If these kids could tackle for a damn, we'd be presentable.
It's speculation. You really seem to want there to be something to it... dude just stop worrying about it and enjoy the incrementally improved defense this season.

Reaction Score
Agreed.. We can't lose this guy.. I love him.. He's the best thing we've had as a DC since Don Brown..

Reaction Score
It's speculation. You really seem to want there to be something to it... dude just stop worrying about it and enjoy the incrementally improved defense this season.

I don't want there to be something to it. If Randy is going to be the coach, we can't run off coordinators every year. I have a particular interest in this because I know people Spanos has recruited.

Reaction Score
Is it the DLine? Or the support from the 2nd & 3rd levels?
I don’t tend to focus on the line battles, but the stats seem to show our dline gives up a lot of yards. I had high hopes for Travis Jones to be a real stud, and when I’ve watched him, he always seems to be at least double teamed. I’d love to see more shifting, movement, and occasional blitzing from our defense. Even Navy does that much.

Reaction Score

There's not the slightest bit of evidence that Edsall is doing anything to stop Spanos from doing his job. There's barely even been mindless speculation of that....one person claiming he saw them arguing once is all.

Same with Giufre. You are literally making things up

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
There's not the slightest bit of evidence that Edsall is doing anything to stop Spanos from doing his job. There's barely even been mindless speculation of that....one person claiming he saw them arguing once is all.

Same with Giufre. You are literally making things up
I don't come on here and make things up. I would be a lot more creative if I did. You don't know me and I don't know you.
Some of us might actually really know a few things. It's a small world.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom