Spanos | The Boneyard

Spanos

Reaction Score
I like this guy’s fire. He’s animated and aggressive. I definitely feel like he’s a good coach and capable. For all the bad on D this year, there is plenty of good too. We just can’t tackle.

I’m curious what people have seen or heard of him and his relationship with Randy. I’ve heard that at least three times this season he’s been very heated jawing with Randy on the sideline. I was totally unaware. Any truth to this? Anyone heard or seen anything?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So far, I like what I've seen from him.

It's tough to know how good the defense can become since I'm comparing them to last year's historically bad defense, but there is no doubt that they are much better now than then. Crocker was brutally bad. Hopefully Spanos will continue to have the defense make strides for next year and get them to the point where we can lean on them to win games for us...

Reaction Score
Who coaches dline? They need an upgrade there. I know they’re young, and all should have been redshirted, but its the same gashing every week.

Reaction Score
I wanted RE to succeed, however, I'd love to see Spanos be the coach. I thought I'd give Randy another year, but I think it's time to move on. If we can get some new coaches, who has the drive like Spanos has, we might be better next year!

Saying that, I still think that we will get a third win...which is better than last year! RE is going to drive Spanos away, and I think he'll help the team!

Reaction Score
Keep trying. Maybe if you throw it out there, and then follow up, and then follow up again you’ll get somewhere.

Well, I threw it out there there, and then felt based on responses that maybe it was poorly worded so my question wasn’t getting answered. If you are implying that I’m trying create a controversy, it was on Twitter during the Navy game posted by a female fan or writer, someone in that string mentioned it happened in a previous game and then my alum friend that lives on my street asked me if I saw it and said he’s seen it happen multiple times.

I’m not looking for drama, just some insight. Spanos seems like our best coach. If there is conflict with him, that’s not good.

Reaction Score
Well, I threw it out there there, and then felt based on responses that maybe it was poorly worded so my question wasn’t getting answered. If you are implying that I’m trying create a controversy, it was on Twitter during the Navy game posted by a female fan or writer, someone in that string mentioned it happened in a previous game and then my alum friend that lives on my street asked me if I saw it and said he’s seen it happen multiple times.

I’m not looking for drama, just some insight. Spanos seems like our best coach. If there is conflict with him, that’s not good.
Spanos yells at everybody, he's crazy (passionate).

Reaction Score
Spanos is the main reason i would like Randy to get that 4th year. He's got a little Don Brown play like your hair is on fire craziness that i love in defensive coordinators. If you're gonna get beat, go down swinging rather sitting back and get shredded anyways like the last 2 years.

Reaction Score
Anyone seen the sideline conflicts with Edsall?
I have, and I'm worried that Spanos could leave if after the season Edsall is not fired. If Edsall is fired I would name Spanos head coach and get some assistants and offer them decent money. That's the cheap route.

Reaction Score
If Spanos could bring some SEC buddies, including a Lashlee-like OC, I'd be open to it.

Reaction Score
I have, and I'm worried that Spanos could leave if after the season Edsall is not fired. If Edsall is fired I would name Spanos head coach and get some assistants and offer them decent money. That's the cheap route.

I always got the feeling Spanos was going to be here until he could get a better gig, likely in the NFL. Wouldn’t be surprised if he is a one and done coach here.

Love his passion.

Reaction Score
My guess is that if Spanos had COMPLETE control of the defense it would be much more effective.

I don’t know if I agree with this. I think Spanos d relies on linebackers a lot, and that remains a severe weak spot for us. It’s a jimmies and joes issue on d (and for that I blame the man in charge). Spanos needs speed off the edge.

Reaction Score
I don’t know if I agree with this. I think Spanos d relies on linebackers a lot, and that remains a severe weak spot for us. It’s a jimmies and joes issue on d (and for that I blame the man in charge). Spanos needs speed off the edge.

They still play the bend but don't break, read and react, soft defense that Edsall has always played.

And Edsall is getting far less from his Jimmie and Joe's than others with about the same talent.

Reaction Score
They still play the bend but don't break, read and react, soft defense that Edsall has always played.

And Edsall is getting far less from his Jimmie and Joe's than others with about the same talent.

Not going to get an argument from me that Edsall 2.0 is horrible. Let’s just hope Dave B has a clue (don’t hold your breath)

Reaction Score

Your last statement sums up what I've been thinking and trying to post (not always so clearly). I know we are young and maybe some talent issues but geez, play smarter/better within your skill/athletic skill sets.

Reaction Score
I always got the feeling Spanos was going to be here until he could get a better gig, likely in the NFL. Wouldn’t be surprised if he is a one and done coach here.

Love his passion.
Yeah, you could be right. That's a worry.

Reaction Score

Agreed. I have to say I was expecting way more from Dillon Harris. He is slow and a non factor every game.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The tackles have to be able to occupy the inside guards and center so the linebackers can fill and tackle and that is not happening now.
Coyle should never lead the team in tackles and yet he is way more than he should

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coyle is such a great player. A steal from in state.

Sorry to be negative, but not really. I like Coyle, but Watch Tyvon Branch and then watch Coyle. He’s not nearly physical enough and doesn’t impact the game enough to be considered a “great player.” He made some tackles and ran down some guys that got through the third level with ease. There was really nothing spectacular about that. When have you ever seen him blow up a play in the backfield or deliver a big hit on a receiver over the middle? He’s solid but quite a stretch to say he is a great player in my opinion. Also, wasn’t really a steal from in the state considering his only other offers were from central, Rhode Island, Maine, umass, and Temple.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom