Spanos | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Spanos

Reaction Score
There's not the slightest bit of evidence that Edsall is doing anything to stop Spanos from doing his job. There's barely even been mindless speculation of that....one person claiming he saw them arguing once is all.

Same with Giufre. You are literally making things up

I have no inside info, but all you have to do is look at coaches that have been assistants under Edsall and what they have done scheme wise elsewhere to believe that some level of restriction was placed on them while under Edsall. UConn rarely blitzed under Todd Orlando. His first year out of UConn and Orlando’s FIU defense was blitzing multiple players 75% of the time and he’s continued to do that ever since at Houston and now Texas. Can’t say it was because there was limited talent on his UConn defense. Shoot there were 2 NFL corners in Gratz and Wilson, 2 4-year starters at LBs, and a few good Dlinemen one of which (Kendall Reyes) played in the NFL for a few years. Joe Moorhead’s offense was pretty bland at UConn. He becomes the head coach at Fordham and his stellar offense gets him the OC gig at Penn St and then the HC at Miss St. Don Brown knew Edsall’s reputation which is one reason he left Maryland as soon as Edsall arrived. You can believe the “I wanted to be closer to my family” story if you want but that didn’t seem to stop him from going to Michigan after 2 years in CT.

Reaction Score
I have no inside info, but all you have to do is look at coaches that have been assistants under Edsall and what they have done scheme wise elsewhere to believe that some level of restriction was placed on them while under Edsall. UConn rarely blitzed under Todd Orlando. His first year out of UConn and Orlando’s FIU defense was blitzing multiple players 75% of the time and he’s continued to do that ever since at Houston and now Texas. Can’t say it was because there was limited talent on his UConn defense. Shoot there were 2 NFL corners in Gratz and Wilson, 2 4-year starters at LBs, and a few good Dlinemen one of which (Kendall Reyes) played in the NFL for a few years. Joe Moorhead’s offense was pretty bland at UConn. He becomes the head coach at Fordham and his stellar offense gets him the OC gig at Penn St and then the HC at Miss St. Don Brown knew Edsall’s reputation which is one reason he left Maryland as soon as Edsall arrived. You can believe the “I wanted to be closer to my family” story if you want but that didn’t seem to stop him from going to Michigan after 2 years in CT.

Well for one just because they had talent here, doesn't mean they had talent who's strength would be a heavy blitz defense and a wide open passing offense. If Joe Moorehead was throwing it all over the field with mediocre qb and wr talent rather than riding a dominant running game he doesn't get the head coaching job at Fordham, because that would have been very dumb. Orlando had very successful defenses here, and a lot of good players, but not necessarily speed rushers up front and on the line. We're not running the same stuff now as we were during 1.0, and during 1.0 when we had different personell, like an nfl qb, we ran much different stuff too. No coordinator just does whatever they want, but this idea that all our coordinators are calling good plays and the bad only happens when Edsall makes them call the bad plays is silly.

Reaction Score

All absolutely true.

Except for Don Brown ... Edsall evaluated and brought great prospective coaches in & they grew in their role. That is talent. Do I wish we saw Joe Moorhead & Todd Orlando do what they have proven elsewhere. YUP. Still I believe Edsall was instrumental - and continues to be - in running a development program. I wish he wins a little ... and rides off into the sunset after finding a wonderful 40 year old replacement.

Reaction Score
I really don’t think we want Randy to pick his replacement. Much like QBs, he’d likely pick the wrong guy. He’s a conservative, defensive minded coach. Our next coach needs to be an aggressive, offensive minded coach.

I’d also be happy with a defensive coach like Don Brown. Don Brown made defense more exciting than offense.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Play on the Next level meaning NFL? I will bet you any amount of money Tyler Coyle does not play in the NFL.

I don't bet but I root for all Huskies unless they play the Giants.
He will play in the NFL as he is more instinctive than Melifonio "so" and he went in the second round

Reaction Score
Well for one just because they had talent here, doesn't mean they had talent who's strength would be a heavy blitz defense and a wide open passing offense. If Joe Moorehead was throwing it all over the field with mediocre qb and wr talent rather than riding a dominant running game he doesn't get the head coaching job at Fordham, because that would have been very dumb. Orlando had very successful defenses here, and a lot of good players, but not necessarily speed rushers up front and on the line. We're not running the same stuff now as we were during 1.0, and during 1.0 when we had different personell, like an nfl qb, we ran much different stuff too. No coordinator just does whatever they want, but this idea that all our coordinators are calling good plays and the bad only happens when Edsall makes them call the bad plays is silly.

How about two nfl corners and an nfl d lineman

Reaction Score
I will bet you any amount of money Tyler Coyle does not play in the NFL.

Well, Draft Scouts has him as the 4th best Strong Safety in the AAC and the 36th out of 115 SS's in the BCS. I'd say he has a shot.
Tyler Coyle, DS #36 SS, Connecticut

Name: Tyler Coyle
College: Connecticut Number: 25
Height: 6-0 Weight: 205
Position: SS Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: rJr/2021
40 Low: 4.46 40 Time: 4.57 40 High: 4.68
Projected Round:

Conf RankDS RankPlayer NameCollegeClassDraft YearProj HighProjectedProj LowHeightWeight40 Time RangeHometown, StateHigh School/Last School
19Forrest, Darrick CincinnatiJr20216-02004.46 - 4.65Columbus, OHWalnut Ridge
219Anderson, Deontay HoustonrJr20216-22174.45 - 4.64Houston, TXManvel
335Lindsey, Tyrez MemphisrJr20216-12054.60 - 4.78Dothan, ALDothan
436Coyle, Tyler ConnecticutrJr20216-02054.46 - 4.68Windsor, CT

Reaction Score

Well, Draft Scouts has him as the 4th best Strong Safety in the AAC and the 36th out of 115 SS's in the BCS. I'd say he has a shot.
Tyler Coyle, DS #36 SS, Connecticut

Name: Tyler Coyle
College: Connecticut Number: 25
Height: 6-0 Weight: 205
Position: SS Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: rJr/2021
40 Low: 4.46 40 Time: 4.57 40 High: 4.68
Projected Round:

Conf RankDS RankPlayer NameCollegeClassDraft YearProj HighProjectedProj LowHeightWeight40 Time RangeHometown, StateHigh School/Last School
19Forrest, DarrickCincinnatiJr20216-02004.46 - 4.65Columbus, OHWalnut Ridge
219Anderson, DeontayHoustonrJr20216-22174.45 - 4.64Houston, TXManvel
335Lindsey, TyrezMemphisrJr20216-12054.60 - 4.78Dothan, ALDothan
436Coyle, TylerConnecticutrJr20216-02054.46 - 4.68Windsor, CT
Is it a coincidence that all the players listed are in the AAC?

Reaction Score
Is it a coincidence that all the players listed are in the AAC?

That's the ranking of AAC strong safeties. If you read his post, Coyle is the 36th ranked SS in FBS currently.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Isn’t coyle a FS?

Redshirt junior. One more year to play if he is asked to stay and decides not to transfer out.. .can get his masters his 5th year here or elsewhere

Reaction Score
That's the ranking of AAC strong safeties. If you read his post, Could is the 36th ranked SS in FBS currently.
Ah! I guess I had to scroll over. I see it now. By the way, when being a snarky, it’s probably a good idea to read your work before posting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tyler Coyle has an NFL partner according to Draft Scouts.
5th Rated Free Safety in AAC 37th of 115 FS in BCS
37​
Omar Fortt
same.gif
Connecticut6-01904.53 - 4.72Stamford, CTSt. Lukes

Reaction Score
Coyle will definitely play in the NFL. Many NFL teams play in nickel and dime defenses as a base so versatile defensive backs are at a premium. Coyle is fast and has good range.

Reaction Score
Coyle will definitely play in the NFL. Many NFL teams play in nickel and dime defenses as a base so versatile defensive backs are at a premium. Coyle is fast and has good range.

I don’t see it. I guess we’ll find out after next year.

Reaction Score
I don’t see it. I guess we’ll find out after next year.

I am not saying he is going to be a starter or even a good nfl player, entirely different argument. But defensive backs are at a premium now in the nfl.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom