Spanos -- are you freakin' joking? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Spanos -- are you freakin' joking?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I hope so. Fun with Dick and Jane is a movie.
It was a kids book long before it was a bad movie.

4BD9A428-77CD-448C-B517-C48CD1C277B2.jpeg

Reaction Score
Mora's #2 is "create discomfort."

....it’s important to make the communication between the quarterback and center as difficult as you can, so there’s some uncertainty when the ball is snapped.

That means moving the front a little bit, moving the Mike linebacker a little bit — presenting some different looks. Make sure the quarterback and the center and the back and the line — all those responsible for protection – are not on the same page.
Defense will take a good step forward next year. I believe it and I’m counting on it!

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
\
You guys are sooooo old. By the time I was in grammar school reading class in the late 60s we had left Dick and Jane behind and moved on to Jack and Janet.

s-l1600.jpg

Back to our regularly scheduled thread.

EDIT: The Wyoming QB was probably a Jack and Janet man.

Reaction Score
My guess is this was a forgone conclusion. Spanos likely played some part in the Mora hire. He was rewarded for playing that role and there was a comfort level.

Reaction Score
My guess is this was a forgone conclusion. Spanos likely played some part in the Mora hire. He was rewarded for playing that role and there was a comfort level.

I suspect Lou Spanos was a central topic in DB conversation with Mora in Idaho. That was one they had to drill into. I believe Mora made a priority search and networking to find a guy that fit his mind better than Lou. And reached out. That led him to circle back to Spanos ... and Benedict was fully supportive, given Lou's performance in the 2021 pride closeout. He has the team's back.

The Defense may be led by Spanos in 2022; but Mora is a integral new part given his background. And the personality of Hilliard, Diabite, MacClendon is going to take this in a new direction. Plus we aren't playing newbies all over. We have vets.

Reaction Score
I suspect Lou Spanos was a central topic in DB conversation with Mora in Idaho. That was one they had to drill into. I believe Mora made a priority search and networking to find a guy that fit his mind better than Lou. And reached out. That led him to circle back to Spanos ... and Benedict was fully supportive, given Lou's performance in the 2021 pride closeout. He has the team's back.

The Defense may be led by Spanos in 2022; but Mora is a integral new part given his background. And the personality of Hilliard, Diabite, MacClendon is going to take this in a new direction. Plus we aren't playing newbies all over. We have vets.
You make a good point. Mora most likely has a good network of people to reach out to and for one reason or another things just didn't work out. Mora also seems like the type of coach that also will take players opinion's into consideration too before which is another reason I think Spanos was re-hired. Spanos makes a lot of sense once you get past the initial knee jerk reaction. He's had success everywhere he's been, including at UCLA with Mora. The defense did improve under this year and can only get better from it's performance this year with a better offence being fielded.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mora's #2 is "create discomfort."

....it’s important to make the communication between the quarterback and center as difficult as you can, so there’s some uncertainty when the ball is snapped.

That means moving the front a little bit, moving the Mike linebacker a little bit — presenting some different looks. Make sure the quarterback and the center and the back and the line — all those responsible for protection – are not on the same page.

This is something Spanos almost never did. His defensive line and LBs were in cement. They rarely moved pre-snap. Our defensive was easier to read than "Fun with Dick and Jane."
I'm thinking that this is something UConn will start to do now, the recent past under a different HC notwithstanding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom