Sox Hot Stove | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sox Hot Stove

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If the Red Sox do only two more things for next season, I like their chance. If they can sign Eovaldi (and he wants to stay) and add Robertson or Andrew Miller, that might be enough. The team is already very good and their focus needs to be on extensions.

Yeah, I think they may wait out the rp market since there are so many out there.

They really need to add slime talent in the infield. Someone to replace kinslers role.

I can’t count on pedoria for anything at this point

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Totally agree they need Eovaldi back, and as a starter. I would let Kimbrel walk. He isn't what he was and most closers are just guys who got a shot and ran with hit. They can be found in surprising places. Kelly certainly has the velocity and stuff, it's his command that worries me, but it worries me with Kimbrel too.

Relief pitcher performance is too variable to overpay for it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bringing Kimbrel back for big cash doesn't feel right to me. I mean the Sox didn't use him to close out the World Series.

Reaction Score
As the smartest guy on the board once said every team has a Mookie Betts.
That was the Deep man replying to my post in 2015 when i said the Sox had a great future. Still the dumbest statement of all time on a board that includes Chief. I think he's a Mets fan too which makes it even funnier.

Reaction Score
Kimbrel is going to walk and that's fine I just hope they can bring in Ottavino or DRob to anchor the pen for the regular season. The conventional closer role may be a dying occupation (hence not overpaying Kimbrel) but you do need some stability over 162 and I really don't know if Barnes or Kelly can be that guy. Eovaldi needs to be resigned but with the stuff he's shown while in Boston it'd be insane to throw him less innings by sticking him in the pen, now come playoff time is a different story obviously.

the Q

Reaction Score
Kimbrel is going to walk and that's fine I just hope they can bring in Ottavino or DRob to anchor the pen for the regular season. The conventional closer role may be a dying occupation (hence not overpaying Kimbrel) but you do need some stability over 162 and I really don't know if Barnes or Kelly can be that guy. Eovaldi needs to be resigned but with the stuff he's shown while in Boston it'd be insane to throw him less innings by sticking him in the pen, now come playoff time is a different story obviously.

Just saw a rumor for Britton and D rob.

That’s a heck of a makeover in the pen

Reaction Score
I read that from the NY Post, but my takeaway was they might look at one of the two, not both. They want Robertson if he comes off of 3 years and they also would talk Britton.
Kelly and Kimbrel are both FA's.
I want nothing to do with Kimbrel for what he's looking for. Kelly and Robertson or Britton would be very nice IMO.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The thought of the Sox entering 2019 with an elite bullpen is completely terrifying.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The thought of the Sox entering 2019 with an elite bullpen is completely terrifying.

Haven't signed anybody yet. Dombo could end up with nothing if he plays his cards wrong.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Haven't signed anybody yet. Dombo could end up with nothing if he plays his cards wrong.

Oh I know. In my opinion, the Sox can let Kimbrel go (6 years is ridiculous) and pivot to Ottavino, D-Rob, and re-sign Eovaldi. I still think Eovaldi as a closer maximizes his potential but understand that they'll want to use his length in the rotation.

the Q

Reaction Score
Sox nearing a 4 year deal with Eovaldi for 65-70 mil per Heyman.
Let's go. Bring the horse back.

Lots of stuff really backing up his breakout.

New pitch- cutter

Improved spin rates

Kept his velo

This could be a nice deal compared to Corbin.

But 2 TJs is always a risk

Dooley

Reaction Score
Pitched very well in Boston. Risky contract for sure but if he's healthy, the stuff is elite. Versatile too - could, in theory, shift to the pen. Although $17M/yr is starter's money.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sox nearing a 4 year deal with Eovaldi for 65-70 mil per Heyman.
Let's go. Bring the horse back.
They sign him and they are basically ready for another run.

the Q

Reaction Score
Getting a catcher should still be a top priority.

And hope Chavis is ready to go if pedroia isn’t

Reaction Score
According to NESN, it is a done deal on Eovaldi and the Sox. To me that was the big one. If we had lost him to the Yankees it would have been doubly painful. Not sure they are in the hunt for a catcher. With their lineup they can easily hide a weak hitter and Vazquez will probably get better. If Pedroia comes back they are even better. If not they can always add Nunez. I think the priority now is the bullpen and there are plenty of options there.

the Q

Reaction Score
According to NESN, it is a done deal on Eovaldi and the Sox. To me that was the big one. If we had lost him to the Yankees it would have been doubly painful. Not sure they are in the hunt for a catcher. With their lineup they can easily hide a weak hitter and Vazquez will probably get better. If Pedroia comes back they are even better. If not they can always add Nunez. I think the priority now is the bullpen and there are plenty of options there.

Def need pen help. But Grandal is a 4 win upgrade on what they had there last year. And one of the best pitch framers on the planet.

the Q

Reaction Score
They have 3 already.

Both of which were almost 1 win below replacement and a third who is likely to get dealt

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Both of which were almost 1 win below replacement and a third who is likely to get dealt
If they can upgrade, sure. But Vazquez will be much better next season. I think he learned a few things this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom