Sox Hot Stove | The Boneyard

Sox Hot Stove

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Jim Bowden of the Athletic predicts Eovaldi will get a 3-year, $42M contract. I say do it!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I would prefer Joe Kelly.

Should do both if possible. Sox need to keep most of the staff (and bolster it). Maybe take a tax hit one year, until all that dead money is off the books.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would prefer Joe Kelly in relief and Eovaldi stay a starter, both for the Sox.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Pass on kelly. Bring back Andrew Miller on a pillow deal.

the Q

Reaction Score
Jim Bowden of the Athletic predicts Eovaldi will get a 3-year, $42M contract. I say do it!

I think he gets more than that. Getting less than Alex Cobb sounds like a non starter for me.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Eovaldi as a closer is very intriguing. He's an above average SP. But his stuff and velocity as a closer (or Andrew Miller type RP) can be downright dominating.

the Q

Reaction Score
Eovaldi as a closer is very intriguing. He's an above average SP. But his stuff and velocity as a closer (or Andrew Miller type RP) can be downright dominating.

As much as people want to go rp crazy, you need starters to get to October.

And the Sox cannot be content with Brian Johnson in the 5 spot and have almost zero to trade thanks to injuries, suspensions, and down years.

Dooley

Reaction Score
As much as people want to go rp crazy, you need starters to get to October.

And the Sox cannot be content with Brian Johnson in the 5 spot and have almost zero to trade thanks to injuries, suspensions, and down years.

Definitely agree. SP is still important, no matter how many teams use an "Opener". I do think there is player by player analysis and seeing how each individual player's skill sets can be best used to succeed. Just like Andrew Miller, Eovaldi certainly has the stuff to be a dominating RP/CP. It will come down to where the Sox feel their biggest need is obviously. But from a player standpoint, I think Eovaldi is a much bigger weapon out of the pen than he is as a starter. 102mph at max effort with that breaking stuff is elite stuff.

the Q

Reaction Score
Definitely agree. SP is still important, no matter how many teams use an "Opener". I do think there is player by player analysis and seeing how each individual player's skill sets can be best used to succeed. Just like Andrew Miller, Eovaldi certainly has the stuff to be a dominating RP/CP. It will come down to where the Sox feel their biggest need is obviously. But from a player standpoint, I think Eovaldi is a much bigger weapon out of the pen than he is as a starter. 102mph at max effort with that breaking stuff is elite stuff.

In the playoffs, sure. The rest built in and lack of need for long term planning helps.

But for 162 games, you need more.

Dooley

Reaction Score
In the playoffs, sure. The rest built in and lack of need for long term planning helps.

But for 162 games, you need more.

Sure. I think from a value play, it makes more sense to let Kimbrel walk, re-coup the QO draft comp, sign Eovaldi at 80% Kimbrel, then use the collection of back of rotation arms to fill out SPs 4 & 5. Especially since the Sox are well over luxury tax level and will likely not add payroll (don't know for sure, obviously). Of course, that assumes Eovaldi is open to that and he might want to continue as a SP. The rotation still has Sale, Price, Porcello in it. That's a good 1-2-3. If they let Kimbrel walk, the bullpen is a huge issue over 162 and the playoffs. They can dig out some scrap arms for SPs 4 & 5 and still win the AL East next year. I'm not sure they can win the AL East if they lose Kimbrel, Kelly and/or more from the pen. Brasier was a nice find in 2018 and I have a UConn soft spot for Barnes but that's a rough looking bullpen if those are the Sox two lead arms going into 2019.

Reaction Score
Not ready to give up on Kimbrel. He seems to pitch best when he pitches 1 inning a day. He loses control if he pitches more than 3 days in a row or has a long time between appearances. He still has excellent velocity even when he is walking the world.

the Q

Reaction Score
Not ready to give up on Kimbrel. He seems to pitch best when he pitches 1 inning a day. He loses control if he pitches more than 3 days in a row or has a long time between appearances. He still has excellent velocity even when he is walking the world.

Not against it, but against Jansen money, maybe even wade Davis

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I didn't want to lose Ellsbury but didn't think he was worth the money he was expecting. Same with Kimbrell.

Reaction Score
Kimbrel just has the feel of a guy whose career trajectory is about to fall off of a cliff. I think they have to stay disciplined and let him walk.

the Q

Reaction Score
Kimbrel just has the feel of a guy whose career trajectory is about to fall off of a cliff. I think they have to stay disciplined and let him walk.

Agreed.

I’d like familia, but I’m ok with DD waiting out the market (50 relievers on market before non-tenders) and get a few bargains.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If you haven't already, all of you Sox fans should watch the video of Mookie Betts on MLB Network accepting AL MVP. Newborn baby SOUND ASLEEP on his lap while he had friends/family screaming all around him. Awesome stuff!

Dooley

Reaction Score
Agree with you guys - they should let Kimbrel walk, take the QO comp, and use that money to re-sign Eovaldi and a few RPs. I think you can replace Kimbrel's stats with someone like Adam Ottavino for 1/3 of the price. Nasty slider. Ran out of gas late in the year but I think you can chalk that up to Mile High air. I can also see the Sox giving Britton some cheap 2 or 3 year deal and then all of a sudden, dude pitches like he did 3 years ago in Baltimore.

the Q

Reaction Score
Agree with you guys - they should let Kimbrel walk, take the QO comp, and use that money to re-sign Eovaldi and a few RPs. I think you can replace Kimbrel's stats with someone like Adam Ottavino for 1/3 of the price. Nasty slider. Ran out of gas late in the year but I think you can chalk that up to Mile High air. I can also see the Sox giving Britton some cheap 2 or 3 year deal and then all of a sudden, dude pitches like he did 3 years ago in Baltimore.

Ottavino would be nice.

the Q

Reaction Score
Rotoworld saying Kimbrel is unlikely to resign

Reaction Score
If the Red Sox do only two more things for next season, I like their chance. If they can sign Eovaldi (and he wants to stay) and add Robertson or Andrew Miller, that might be enough. The team is already very good and their focus needs to be on extensions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom