Souza to UNH? Very Likely | The Boneyard

Souza to UNH? Very Likely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Many outlets are reporting Mike Souza, named UConn's associate head coach in April, is the likely favorite to replace former UNH assistant coach Scott Borek who took the same position at Providence. Who replaces Souza?

John Buccigross@Buccigross
Watch out for UCONN assistant Mike Souza as New Hampshire assistant major candidate

Jeff Cox ‏@JeffCoxSports 2h2 hours ago
With Borek to Providence official and Souza supposedly heading to UNH, that would leave a vacancy at UConn.

Jeff Cox ‏@JeffCoxSports 1h1 hour ago
the family connection also makes sense to assume Souza

Jeff Cox ‏@JeffCoxSports 1h1 hour ago
Providence has made Borek to official. Too many reliable sources have said Souza to UNH to doubt it but it's not official

Reaction Score
He was good to have around. Good luck at UNH, Mike!

Reaction Score
Not sure either Raycroft or Joe Pereira is ready to be promoted to associate, but Cavanaugh is well connected in the community, he should be able to find a solid replacement.

Reaction Score
Not sure either Raycroft or Joe Pereira is ready to be promoted to associate, but Cavanaugh is well connected in the community, he should be able to find a solid replacement.
Where do you think Cav turns to replace Souza? I know he was very happy with the wuality and amount of candidates when he was first hired. He will make the right hire to replace Souza if he ends up replacing Borek at UNH.

Reaction Score
Number 1 requirement has to be recruiting since Souza was in charge of recruiting.

Reaction Score
1. Big loss when it comes to recruiting Minnesota. Souza was instrumental in recruiting the state. Will committed future recruits from Minnesota decommit, ie. Connor Mayer and Will Garin?

2. I have not heard anything but I am guessing a possibility might be Josh Ciocco, assistant coach at Alaska-Anchorage. He is from New Jersey and played at UNH. He is also in charge of their recruiting. Similar to Souza.

Reaction Score
The UCONN Blog piece(specifically the part about Souza being Umile's nephew) has stirred the proverbial pot BIG TIME over on the UNH thread at the USCHO Fan forum. Some of them think Mike Anthony reported it...I find it a bit interesting that they aren't welcoming back one of their own with complete open arms.

Reaction Score
The UCONN Blog piece(specifically the part about Souza being Umile's nephew) has stirred the proverbial pot BIG TIME over on the UNH thread at the USCHO Fan forum. Some of them think Mike Anthony reported it...I find it a bit interesting that they aren't welcoming back one of their own with complete open arms.

So Fontenault @ UConn Blog has that wrong --- not related?

Reaction Score
It is no secret that UNH's Dick Umile, the highest paid public employee in New Hampshire, is nearing retirement. Seacoast (NH) Online indicates that Sousa is expected to be named associate head coach and become the head coach-in-waiting at UNH. The Mike Anthony tweet is mentioned. Several of my friends close to the UNH program also believe this to be true. And all of them think that Mike Sousa is a great choice.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/article/20150610/NEWS/150619925/101031/SPORTS

Reaction Score
The nephew thing came from SB Nation writer Jeff Cox, who has since admitted he got it wrong and removed the original line from this article. The UConn Blog very likely just was repeating Cox's report.

Reaction Score
It is no secret that UNH's Dick Umile, the highest paid public employee in New Hampshire, is nearing retirement. Seacoast (NH) Online indicates that Sousa is expected to be named associate head coach and become the head coach-in-waiting at UNH. The Mike Anthony tweet is mentioned. Several of my friends close to the UNH program also believe this to be true. And all of them think that Mike Sousa is a great choice.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/article/20150610/NEWS/150619925/101031/SPORTS
They must not post in the UNH thread on the USCHO fan forum. They seem to be up in arms over this hiring for some reason. I like Mike a lot...my seats are right behind the UCONN bench and it was cool to watch him interact with the kids. I wish him luck at UNH.

Reaction Score
They must not post in the UNH thread on the USCHO fan forum. They seem to be up in arms over this hiring for some reason. I like Mike a lot...my seats are right behind the UCONN bench and it was cool to watch him interact with the kids. I wish him luck at UNH.

I suspect that my UNH hockey friends are not big posters on fan forums. All are retirees and most have been active participants in the Friends of UNH Hockey, but many of them are technology challenged. One, a former UNH hockey radio broadcaster, does not use text messaging or any social media (and if you want him to open an email, you need to put his name in the subject line).

Several have had personal interaction with Mike and describe him with words such as cordial, polite, hardworking, earnest and direct. One expressed a single reservation; he wished that Mike had some prior Division 1 head coaching experience. They all like Mike.

Reaction Score
Jeff Cox‏@JeffCoxSports 9m9 minutes ago

Also hearing a name way outside the box could be new assistant at UConn, replacing Mike Souza, who'll be announced at UNH this week.

Reaction Score
Jeff Cox‏@JeffCoxSports 9m9 minutes ago

Also hearing a name way outside the box could be new assistant at UConn, replacing Mike Souza, who'll be announced at UNH this week.
Here is one of the replies:
@Joseph33Bracken: @JeffCoxSports he makes sense to me; played good BC teams for Cav, played alot of pro hockey & been on the road for his current gig a bunch.

Who wver gets the job to replace Souza..in Cav we trust!

Reaction Score
Awesome. Cavanaugh is showing he can make us a dominant power given the tools.

Reaction Score
JeffCoxSports 11:35am via Twitter for iPhone
Hearing over wknd that Mike Mottau is in line to replace Mike Souza as assistant at UConn. He and Cavanaugh are very close since days at BC.

JeffCoxSports 11:39am via Twitter for iPhone
Mottau has been working as a pro scout for Chicago Blackhawks this season. 340 games played in NHL, 2000 Hobey Baker winner and BC alum.
Found this from May 2013:
http://www.ushr.com/news/20130501

Seems as though Mottau was an original candidate for Cav's staff

Reaction Score
Former NHLer, Hobey Baker winner, knows what it takes to win.

Scout for the best NHL franchise in the last decade.

All big draws for recruits.

Put him in charge of recruiting and let him do his thing.

Simply put, a great hire.

Reaction Score
@ManthonyCourant: Among candidates for UConn hockey asst job: Brendan Buckley (BC captain, Class of 1999); Jon DiSalvatore, So Windsor native, Providence 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom