South Florida went down | The Boneyard

South Florida went down

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Call me surprised. Buffalo had a good scout from the UConn game and just scored and scored.

Reaction Score
I watched the final 3 quarters and Buffalo got tons of loose balls and outscrapped them. Refereeing was dreadful. S. Florida got killed by the refs which didn’t help but the final quarter was a blowout.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As nuch as USF can play well at times, at other times they play soft. Haven't seen this game, but I'll bet this was one of those times.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This loss is not going to set well with Fernandez, the players or the USF fan base. They were not happy being placed in UConn's bracket again this year. A first round exit makes that a moot point. IF USF is serious about challenging UConn for conference supremacy, and gaining the respect they think they deserve, they can begin by winning these types of games first.

Reaction Score
Sure would like UConn go back to the Big East (question...would UConn have to be invited or do they have an open invitation?). Four teams from the Big East in the tourney (as of this time, are 4-0).

Reaction Score
USF is a good team, nothing more, nothing less.
Jose is a good coach, nothing more, nothing less.
They happen to match up pretty well with U Conn but this loss was a pretty sad one.
They have a long way to being a strong team and one taken seriously.
As I stated previously, when have they beaten a top notch program?
Someone commented is OSU a top program. Think that comment was somewhat sarcastic as they haven't demonstrated that either.
There are only three or maybe four consistently strong programs, another three or four trying to become that and time will tell if they can reach that level on a regular, consistent basis.
And there are a few that used to be, one in particular that's not yet close.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Sure would like UConn go back to the Big East (question...would UConn have to be invited or do they have an open invitation?). Four teams from the Big East in the tourney (as of this time, are 4-0).

If I remember correctly, The Big East disbanded and then reformed, took the same name, and invited back schools that had no football programs. UConn girls can't join unless they ask UConn in general. They may not want the boys team, and the football team will eliminate them asking us to join. The girls have no open invitation. If my memory is wrong I am sure my post will be corrected rather quickly .

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
South Florida is one strange team.

I hope he has a new wave of foreign talent coming in. It puzzles me that he doesn't do well recruiting in his own back yard. If he's trying to leap frog Sue Semerau to go for talent abroad at a higher level, maybe he should try to get a blended approach. I've never followed their recruiting.

Reaction Score
USF does not come close to matching up closely to uconn.I do not look at them as a rival at all. Just another game on the AAC schedule. A 1st round loss to Buffalo. Yikes!!!

Reaction Score
I hope he has a new wave of foreign talent coming in. It puzzles me that he doesn't do well recruiting in his own back yard. If he's trying to leap frog Sue Semerau to go for talent abroad at a higher level, maybe he should try to get a blended approach. I've never followed their recruiting.
I their foreign pipeline falters, they will fall to the level of the rest of the AAC.

Reaction Score
Losing 102-79 to Buffalo an #11 seed......where's that USF poster who criticized me for saying that USF often under performs in the big games?
I also think Buffalo is a lot better than advertised. In fact, in the women's tournament, it seems a number of teams ranked 11, 12, etc. are winning their games. It makes me wonder if the selection committee is doing their homework, once the top 16 teams are ID'd.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
South Florida is one strange team.

Jose was stuck with big and pretty slow for guards and not so big bigs. Not much of a combo for success, but he did a great job with what he had. BUT it is his job to recruit and just going with a European pipeline isn't working. He needs to get an assistant who can recruit in the US south for gosh sakes, 'cuz if he's trying he sucks at it. I may be off base on that 'cuz I haven't looked at his incoming class. USF really targets the European student too, so it is consistent with the U's general business plan.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
TAMPA, APRIL 12, 2017 – The future is bright for the University of South Florida women's basketball program. After landing two five-star recruits in the last two years, head coach Jose Fernandez and his staff announced a third five-star signee on Wednesday.

Silvia Serrat, a wing from Banyoles, Spain, signed with the Bulls and will join her national teammate and fellow five-star standout Alba Prieto (Seville, Spain) and Vanessa Blagmon(Norcross, Ga.) as freshmen on USF's squad next season.

A member of the Spanish Youth National Teams, Serrat is also on the roster for Segle XXI, one of Barcelona's premier club teams. Her versatile style of play will fit in perfectly with Fernandez's system as Serrat is known in Europe for her ability to play inside and out. Serrat is listed as a Passion Hoops and Blue Star Europe Five-star recruit and is referred to as one of the best guard/forward combos in the 2017 class.

Serrat played for Spain in the U17 World Games and averaged nine points, eight rebounds and shot an exceptional 63 percent from the floor. She has been a member of both the U16 and U17 Spanish national teams with Bulls' early signee Prieto. A starter for Segle XXI, Serrat averages 8.7 points and a team best 6.5 rebounds per game.

The three incoming freshman join a now veteran squad of 10, including four returning starters. The Bulls have an unprecedented three players who received Freshman of the Year honors: The American Freshmen of the Year Kitija Laksa (2016) and Tamara Henshaw (2017) and transfer Alyssa Rader was the Big Sky Freshman of the Year in 2016.

Women’s Basketball Nabs Another Five-Star Recruit - University of South Florida

Hens teeth info on USF recruiting. No recruit in HoopGurlz 2018 Top 100. 2018 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As nuch as USF can play well at times, at other times they play soft. Haven't seen this game, but I'll bet this was one of those times.
Yup you are right. They played all offense and Euro defense. Tough matchup for them. Buffalo was focused and can shoot. Dillard? #24 was fun to watch and the pg is a scrappy competitor w some skills on both ends.

Reaction Score
I also think Buffalo is a lot better than advertised. In fact, in the women's tournament, it seems a number of teams ranked 11, 12, etc. are winning their games. It makes me wonder if the selection committee is doing their homework, once the top 16 teams are ID'd.
They definitely looked better than advertised. Give the selection comm kudos for granting them an at large

Reaction Score
USF does not come close to matching up closely to uconn.I do not look at them as a rival at all. Just another game on the AAC schedule. A 1st round loss to Buffalo. Yikes!!!
The game scores of the two games verse UConn proves you correct. Blowouts.

Reaction Score
Do you know what else doesn't help the AAC appear to be a stronger league? Cincinnati and Houston Lost in the 1st Round of the NIT, only UCF is left. The AAC is not getting stronger when compared to out of league teams.
You knew Cinn was going nowhere by that 21 point effort. After seeing that score verse UConn I become curious to see how they would do like you are curious about a zoo animal. Not good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom