South Carolina & the QUEST FOR 100 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

South Carolina & the QUEST FOR 100

Reaction Score
Y'all have done an excellent job of analyzing the game-to-be. I think I would emphasize success in shooting the ball. Lou needs to have a good night because scoring inside may be harder than usual for Pheesa and Gabby. Saniya has been excellent lately, and her numbers against the Cockies will have to be up to standard. Kia, too, needs her 3's to drop. With success from the outside, a reasonable night for our forwards, covering their trey shooters (who can get hot), and the bounce of the ball, which often determines rebounding success, we should prevail. But this will be and must be a TEAM effort. Can't wait.

Reaction Score
I watched a few sc games this season so far. The reason they won't beat uconn is, they don't have 5 great scorers that you need to put up enough points. They can't run with uconn for the full 40mins. Coates and wilson are jogging down by the 4th quarter. I expect a double digit win for uconn. This is the kind of game that uconn plays their best and imo kls is going to have a big game.
Absolutely correct; Coates especially might give up before half time.

Reaction Score
OK guys. ESPN is talking about it. The sportswriters are writing about it. Even Geno addressed it on the latest edition of his show. So I lifted this thread title from a Sports Center segment this morning (Quest for 100), and it’s time for the BY to address the SC game and the QUEST FOR 100.

I know it’s a little disrespectful to Travis Mays and the Mustangs to start talking about 100 when UConn has yet to secure 99, but in all honesty SMU will put up about as much resistance on Saturday as an old beach house facing a tidal wave. The good thing about facing SMU prior to SC, is that the Mustangs are just about the only team in the AAC with real size. They can go 6’3”, 6’5” & 6’6” up front and will be able to challenge UConn’s inside shooting and contest rebounds at both ends. In effect, SMU is the perfect tune-up game for SC.

Boneyarders tend to worry a bit about challengers to the Huskies esteemed position at the top of WBB. So here you go. More than any other team that the Huskies have faced or will face this season, SC creates the most challenging matchup problems for UConn. IMO, they have the two most active and talented BIGS in the country in Coates & Wilson. They have a wealth of talented players including the two transfers, Gray and Davis, both of whom are star players in their own right. SC is going to pound the ball inside against the Huskies on offense, clog the lane with their bigs on defense and play tough man-to-man defense on UConn’s outside shooters.

So how does UConn pull out a victory against the imposing Gamecocks? Here are a couple thoughts on the question:

SC has faced some very good teams this year, but they’ve not faced a team that plays defense like UConn, and SC can struggle at times on offense. The Huskies will challenge every shot and create havoc in the passing lanes. When faced with a strong defensive effort, SC’s offense can become almost constipated. Players stop moving and cutting. They stop passing the ball and their offense degenerates into a series of one-on-one efforts.

While I and many others believe that the Gamecocks have the ability to upset the Huskies, what is far more important is, “Do the Gamecocks really believe they can beat the Huskies at Gampel?” SC has never beaten UConn. Two years ago, SC came into Gampel as the #1 team in the nation and got blown out 87-62. Last year, before a sellout crowd in Columbia, the Huskies controlled the game winning comfortably 66-54. At the end of both games Dawn looked somewhat distressed and a little bewildered at the outcome. Does this Gamecock team believe they can do something that no other team has done in a very long time? Because if they don’t believe, when the Huskies go on a run during the game, as they surely will, the Gamecocks will find it difficult to respond.

It should be one hell of a game on Monday night.

The Gamecocks are a really good team that got better this year. Uconn has gotten much better at every position with 2 good subs. They are not harnessed as they had been when in foul trouble--sure they are not as great but Butler gives them good minutes and Danger--pun here--can be very dangerous!! I am a bit more than concerned about the ability of Gabby and Napheesa to score and then contain Coates and Wilson--Gabby has done well against much bigger people than I was comfortable with her going against--but few were 6ft 4 or 5 and one very mobile.

While I like Uconn's chances--I'd never bet against the Gamecock especially when they are being hyped by Dawn and the press about toppling Geno's streak of 100!! I'm not much into numerically matching up USC and uC players one by one--that's great in Nevada--but humans as they are --are un predictable. Geno tries to predict how his team will do relative to the shoot around's--rarely is he right!

I wouldn't bet the farm on this game with or without odds.

I have one correction how can a team so full of "it" be constipated??

Reaction Score
It will be a good game. I have noticed lately that Pheesa is coming out around the 3pt line during the offense. I can see them drawing the bigs away from the basket and isolating other players on the block or taking them one on one in hopes of drawing fouls. If Wilson and Coates get in foul troupe, even for a quarter, UCONN can put on the clamps and run up the lead and just play basket for basket the rest of the game. BIG IFs there but its what I a noticing.

(I'm the last one to talk about miss spelled words _+) I ass u me "if Wilson and Coates get in foul Troupe' --- Troupe---French for ; up to your ears in it!!! (don't look in the dictionary it ain't there).

Reaction Score
I have No Comment on that game, until the SMU game is over and until Tony C has issued his opinion. At that time I will just 2nd Tony C's official statement :D

Brilliant prediction!! Smart move!

Reaction Score
This is a fascinating statistical comparison, but I think you do have to account for the fact that the quality of opposition in conference play is higher for South Carolina than for UConn. For the season as a whole, however, the quality of the opponents may be fairly comparable -- I frankly don't remember who the Gamecocks played in their out-of-conference schedule (other than Duke).

I agree that the starting lineup won't change, but I wouldn't be surprised if Butler gets more than her usual number of minutes, as she did against Baylor and Texas. As I've previously noted, she seems to play better against bigger opponents whose style is similar to hers, and Coates certainly fits that description. I think Butler, with some help, may be able to neutralize Coates and to score against her. But a bigger problem for South Carolina is to choose someone whom Coates can guard when UConn's starting 5 are on the floor -- any one of them can drive past her without breaking a sweat. She could try to camp out under the defensive basket and just be a backstop, but that means one of UConn's players will be left open to take jump shots, and I don't think Dawn would be comfortable leaving any of them open.

My observation is that when a small, fast team like UConn plays its game, a big/slow player like Coates can easily be a liability at both ends, but especially at the defensive end. I remember that with Stef Dolson a few years ago when UConn played a small/fast Georgetown team. In the Sweet 16 game, Stef was taken out for the last 10 minutes of the game, because she wasn't helping and Lorin Dixon was playing well.

As a coach/strategist, I would rather have Geno's team facing South Carolina than Dawn's team facing UConn. Dawn's challenges will be greater than Geno's.

I think Uconn right now 1 through 7 has had more quality oOC games than USC and beat them by a greater MOV. I like your observations and conclusions--
I too remember the Georgetown game --with a befuddled Stef--and an intense Geno. Sugar got her normal points--I wish I could remember the two GT players that dragged Step into the basket --and the other dropped 3's . Their smaller post really wore Stef out. Lorin Dixon--had one of her better games in that one--she had 3 memorable games and this was one of them. Thanks for the memories!!!

Reaction Score
I think Geno has the core 4 and #5 already working hard on driving, faking, and hesitating underneath early and often in the first quarter forcing Coates and Wilson to engage our speed. AC and AW should amass a fair number of blocks ..and fouls. :cool:
Your can't bring fouls home with you--got to use them wisely in games!! I too expect them to swat at nearly every thing Uconn throw up in the 8 to 0 ft range. Katie Lou will wear a Gamecocks full length coat for at least the first half. Chong will be double teamed as much as she may allow them. But it is near impossible to stop 5 players at the same time.

Reaction Score
After watching "Geno Auriemma Show", I watched last years game against South Carolina. I got so excited, and all I could do was laugh. The only questions I have are, who guard who? I know they do a lot of switching. Do they concentrate on Coates and Wilson, and make Gray and Davis beat them?
Geno will front Davis and Wilson and try to keep them from getting the ball--as he did with Griner. Gabby and Napheesa stay low---keep them busy outside of the arc and try to limit 3's. They should out rebound Uconn --uconn should out score them--Geno will gladly take 3 three's than 4 2's

Reaction Score
Geno doesn't change his starting lineup. That would be counterproductive.

To slow down Coates and Wilson, deny the entry pass. Press SC's guards to dribble even more than they do. Don't forget, Geno nd company have been stressing getting in the passing lanes to distrupt the opponent. This also leads to steals and the UConn fast break.

SC's guards are irratic as best. Their 3 point shooting is not a major threat.

Lou needs to find her stroke for the 3. But more important, Lou needs to make th cut & curl to the foul line for that sweet jumper. That will be the dagger for SC.

Just wanted to make a few points...
Gray, Davis and even Cuevas-Moore are shooting the ball much better as of late. Davis at 6'2" has the speed and athleticism to play KLS. the difference in the game will be foul trouble and SC does foul more but I also think SC will go small a lot in this game and play Gray at the 4. I think the smaller lineup matches up really well with UCONN.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think Geno has the core 4 and #5 already working hard on driving, faking, and hesitating underneath early and often in the first quarter forcing Coates and Wilson to engage our speed. AC and AW should amass a fair number of blocks ..and fouls. :cool:

Exactly Java. If you can't beat 'em, sit them down with foul trouble. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Absolutely correct; Coates especially might give up before half time.

One thing we know for sure, their bigs will give out before ours do.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just wanted to make a few points..
Gray, Davis and even Cuevas-Moore are shooting the ball much better as of late. Davis at 6'2" has the speed and athleticism to play KLS. the difference in the game will be foul trouble and SC does foul more but I also think SC will go small a lot in this game and play Gray at the 4. I think the smaller lineup matches up really well with UCONN.
I agree that SC may be a better team if they go small, but in the biggest game of the year, I don't know how Dawn can ask Coates & Wilson to platoon with each other.

Reaction Score
Collier-Coates
Williams-Wilson
Samuelson-Gray
Nurse-Davis
Chong-Harris

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I honestly believe that if the game is played with UConn's best vs SC's best at Gampel, the Huskies win by double digits. The wild card is foul trouble, and that is a double-edged sword as both teams have had key players sit with foul trouble this season.

Reaction Score
So many good observation. I esp. like HuskyFan1125's point that if Pheesa can sometimes initiate her offensive moves from outside (including a couple of jumpers), that will really stress the defense.

Reaction Score
OK guys. ESPN is talking about it. The sportswriters are writing about it. Even Geno addressed it on the latest edition of his show. So I lifted this thread title from a Sports Center segment this morning (Quest for 100), and it’s time for the BY to address the SC game and the QUEST FOR 100.

I know it’s a little disrespectful to Travis Mays and the Mustangs to start talking about 100 when UConn has yet to secure 99, but in all honesty SMU will put up about as much resistance on Saturday as an old beach house facing a tidal wave. The good thing about facing SMU prior to SC, is that the Mustangs are just about the only team in the AAC with real size. They can go 6’3”, 6’5” & 6’6” up front and will be able to challenge UConn’s inside shooting and contest rebounds at both ends. In effect, SMU is the perfect tune-up game for SC.

Boneyarders tend to worry a bit about challengers to the Huskies esteemed position at the top of WBB. So here you go. More than any other team that the Huskies have faced or will face this season, SC creates the most challenging matchup problems for UConn. IMO, they have the two most active and talented BIGS in the country in Coates & Wilson. They have a wealth of talented players including the two transfers, Gray and Davis, both of whom are star players in their own right. SC is going to pound the ball inside against the Huskies on offense, clog the lane with their bigs on defense and play tough man-to-man defense on UConn’s outside shooters.

So how does UConn pull out a victory against the imposing Gamecocks? Here are a couple thoughts on the question:

SC has faced some very good teams this year, but they’ve not faced a team that plays defense like UConn, and SC can struggle at times on offense. The Huskies will challenge every shot and create havoc in the passing lanes. When faced with a strong defensive effort, SC’s offense can become almost constipated. Players stop moving and cutting. They stop passing the ball and their offense degenerates into a series of one-on-one efforts.

While I and many others believe that the Gamecocks have the ability to upset the Huskies, what is far more important is, “Do the Gamecocks really believe they can beat the Huskies at Gampel?” SC has never beaten UConn. Two years ago, SC came into Gampel as the #1 team in the nation and got blown out 87-62. Last year, before a sellout crowd in Columbia, the Huskies controlled the game winning comfortably 66-54. At the end of both games Dawn looked somewhat distressed and a little bewildered at the outcome. Does this Gamecock team believe they can do something that no other team has done in a very long time? Because if they don’t believe, when the Huskies go on a run during the game, as they surely will, the Gamecocks will find it difficult to respond.

It should be one hell of a game on Monday night.

I love your description of SC's sometimes constipated offense. But I'll take it one step further and say that after a few quarters of running with UCONN, they will be downright "exhaustipated"- too tired to give a #!

Reaction Score
Just wanted to make a few points..

Wanna bet who comes out better from the Davis vs KLS matchup? Larry Bird almost always faced a more athletic defender....

Reaction Score
Davis is a very talented player. How do you think she has played this year?
I personally think she has played well as far as becoming team oriented and realizing s she's not the only star anymore but as far as shooting percentage goes... I think she could be better. Sitting out a year has not done well for her shooting but as of late she and Gray are finding their groove in the offense and that's going to be big heading into the tourney. I really wish she stays for another year, as you can see she is becoming much better on the defensive end and you must be able to play defense in the WNBA to make a roster. Her defense against Vivians and even DeSheilds was good. If she can play some valuable defense on KLS then I except her to do really well.

Reaction Score
Wanna bet who comes out better from the Davis vs KLS matchup? Larry Bird almost always faced a more athletic defender...
Compare how much you want but she is not Larry Bird... yes she is VERY good but is she unguardable?? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Reaction Score
Compare how much you want but she is not Larry Bird.. yes she is VERY good but is she unguardable?? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I'm really trying to be objective. Who has shut her down? I just can't recall a game. Even when she has struggled recently (2 games) she is still getting good looks and dropping 20 points.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom