South Carolina & the QUEST FOR 100 | The Boneyard

South Carolina & the QUEST FOR 100

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK guys. ESPN is talking about it. The sportswriters are writing about it. Even Geno addressed it on the latest edition of his show. So I lifted this thread title from a Sports Center segment this morning (Quest for 100), and it’s time for the BY to address the SC game and the QUEST FOR 100.

I know it’s a little disrespectful to Travis Mays and the Mustangs to start talking about 100 when UConn has yet to secure 99, but in all honesty SMU will put up about as much resistance on Saturday as an old beach house facing a tidal wave. The good thing about facing SMU prior to SC, is that the Mustangs are just about the only team in the AAC with real size. They can go 6’3”, 6’5” & 6’6” up front and will be able to challenge UConn’s inside shooting and contest rebounds at both ends. In effect, SMU is the perfect tune-up game for SC.

Boneyarders tend to worry a bit about challengers to the Huskies esteemed position at the top of WBB. So here you go. More than any other team that the Huskies have faced or will face this season, SC creates the most challenging matchup problems for UConn. IMO, they have the two most active and talented BIGS in the country in Coates & Wilson. They have a wealth of talented players including the two transfers, Gray and Davis, both of whom are star players in their own right. SC is going to pound the ball inside against the Huskies on offense, clog the lane with their bigs on defense and play tough man-to-man defense on UConn’s outside shooters.

So how does UConn pull out a victory against the imposing Gamecocks? Here are a couple thoughts on the question:

SC has faced some very good teams this year, but they’ve not faced a team that plays defense like UConn, and SC can struggle at times on offense. The Huskies will challenge every shot and create havoc in the passing lanes. When faced with a strong defensive effort, SC’s offense can become almost constipated. Players stop moving and cutting. They stop passing the ball and their offense degenerates into a series of one-on-one efforts.

While I and many others believe that the Gamecocks have the ability to upset the Huskies, what is far more important is, “Do the Gamecocks really believe they can beat the Huskies at Gampel?” SC has never beaten UConn. Two years ago, SC came into Gampel as the #1 team in the nation and got blown out 87-62. Last year, before a sellout crowd in Columbia, the Huskies controlled the game winning comfortably 66-54. At the end of both games Dawn looked somewhat distressed and a little bewildered at the outcome. Does this Gamecock team believe they can do something that no other team has done in a very long time? Because if they don’t believe, when the Huskies go on a run during the game, as they surely will, the Gamecocks will find it difficult to respond.

It should be one hell of a game on Monday night.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
OK guys. ESPN is talking about it. The sportswriters are writing about it. Even Geno addressed it on the latest edition of his show. So I lifted this thread title from a Sports Center segment this morning (Quest for 100), and it’s time for the BY to address the SC game and the QUEST FOR 100.

In another thread, I read that UConn's streak was getting no media attention. Now you're telling me that there was a Sportscenter segment on the streak. Who to believe?!

Something I noticed in reviewing SC's stats. The team leader in field goal attempts is Kaela Davis who is making a pitiful 34.5% of her shots!

I don't think SC executes on the same level as UConn and they aren't as well coached. Before this season, I thought UConn might be soft to post play but they handled Baylor so...I don't know. I would think SC needs major help from foul trouble or the like to have a chance at the upset.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In another thread, I read that UConn's streak was getting no media attention. Now you're telling me that there was a Sportscenter segment on the streak. Who to believe?!

Something I noticed in reviewing SC's stats. The team leader in field goal attempts is Kaela Davis who is making a pitiful 34.5% of her shots!

I don't think SC executes on the same level as UConn and they aren't as well coached. Before this season, I thought UConn might be soft to post play but they handled Baylor so..I don't know. I would think SC needs major help from foul trouble or the like to have a chance at the upset.
Hope you're right about SC's execution. As to coverage of the streak, it has been subdued, but as I predicted some weeks ago, once the Huskies approached 100, the number itself, along with a formidable competitor, would resurrect media interest in the streak.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
As with so many games, I think a lot will depend on how tightly the game is officiated. Our quickness leads to spinning moves to the basket. As talented as SC's bigs might be, can they cover the dashes to the basket without fouling if the refs are whistle happy?

And, of course, on our side, if the whistles are blowing fast and furious, well .............. at least we have Crystal back up to speed.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
After watching "Geno Auriemma Show", I watched last years game against South Carolina. I got so excited, and all I could do was laugh. The only questions I have are, who guard who? I know they do a lot of switching. Do they concentrate on Coates and Wilson, and make Gray and Davis beat them?

HGN

Reaction Score

I know it’s a little disrespectful to Travis Mays and the Mustangs to start talking about 100 when UConn has yet to secure 99, but in all honesty SMU will put up about as much resistance on Saturday as an old beach house facing a tidal wave. The good thing about facing SMU prior to SC, is that the Mustangs are just about the only team in the AAC with real size. They can go 6’3”, 6’5” & 6’6” up front and will be able to challenge UConn’s inside shooting and contest rebounds at both ends. In effect, SMU is the perfect tune-up game for SC.

Boneyarders tend to worry a bit about challengers to the Huskies esteemed position at the top of WBB. So here you go. More than any other team that the Huskies have faced or will face this season, SC creates the most challenging matchup problems for UConn. IMO, they have the two most active and talented BIGS in the country in Coates & Wilson. They have a wealth of talented players including the two transfers, Gray and Davis, both of whom are star players in their own right. SC is going to pound the ball inside against the Huskies on offense, clog the lane with their bigs on defense and play tough man-to-man defense on UConn’s outside shooters.

So how does UConn pull out a victory against the imposing Gamecocks? Here are a couple thoughts on the question:

SC has faced some very good teams this year, but they’ve not faced a team that plays defense like UConn, and SC can struggle at times on offense. The Huskies will challenge every shot and create havoc in the passing lanes. When faced with a strong defensive effort, SC’s offense can become almost constipated. Players stop moving and cutting. They stop passing the ball and their offense degenerates into a series of one-on-one efforts.

While I and many others believe that the Gamecocks have the ability to upset the Huskies, what is far more important is, “Do the Gamecocks really believe they can beat the Huskies at Gampel?” SC has never beaten UConn. Two years ago, SC came into Gampel as the #1 team in the nation and got blown out 87-62. Last year, before a sellout crowd in Columbia, the Huskies controlled the game winning comfortably 66-54. At the end of both games Dawn looked somewhat distressed and a little bewildered at the outcome. Does this Gamecock team believe they can do something that no other team has done in a very long time? Because if they don’t believe, when the Huskies go on a run during the game, as they surely will, the Gamecocks will find it difficult to respond.

It should be one hell of a game on Monday night.
Olddude , I agree with you. Coates and Wilson are , IMO , the 2 most dominate bigs on 1 team in WCBB. A sure test for UConn's undersized front court. But it leads me to wondering whether Geno will do something to throw SC off a little bit early. Like start Butler and sit Gabby. Just to give SC some more size to try to shoot over and HOPEFULLY pick up a couple of early fouls on Coates. Then bring in the Energizer off the bench to speed things up. UConn cannot afford to get any of its front court players in foul trouble in this game. We all know SC is going to pound the ball inside on offense hoping to score or pick up a foul on the UConn players. If Butler can just present a wall to shoot over and grab a few rebounds will be enough. Then Gabby can come in a present a whole new type of problem for both Wilson and Coates.

Butler is going to see BIG minutes in this game , no pun intended . Not only because she is improving but also because she presents something that no other UConn front court player can against SC , significant size.
And all she has to do is play a little tough defense and rebound. That alone could help win this game.

Just a few crazy thoughts.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Olddude , I agree with you. Coates and Wilson are , IMO , the 2 most dominate bigs on 1 team in WCBB. A sure test for UConn's undersized front court. But it leads me to wondering whether Geno will do something to throw SC off a little bit early. Like start Butler and sit Gabby. Just to give SC some more size to try to shoot over and HOPEFULLY pick up a couple of early fouls on Coates. Then bring in the Energizer off the bench to speed things up. UConn cannot afford to get any of its front court players in foul trouble in this game. We all know SC is going to pound the ball inside on offense hoping to score or pick up a foul on the UConn players. If Butler can just present a wall to shoot over and grab a few rebounds will be enough. Then Gabby can come in a present a whole new type of problem for both Wilson and Coates.

Butler is going to see BIG minutes in this game , no pun intended . Not only because she is improving but also because she presents something that no other UConn front court player can against SC , significant size.
And all she has to do is play a little tough defense and rebound. That alone could help win this game.

Really interesting idea, although I might suggest starting Butler over Chong and moving Lou to guard (After all she's up for the Dawn Staley award). Gabby does too much to leave her on the bench. If she stays out of foul trouble, I believe Gabby will play all 40 minutes on Monday.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If Geno starts Butler, that will be the first time in memory that coach responds to another team's strengths in that manner.

Not going to happen

Rather, he will consider the mayhem that Gabby and Pheesa will cause on the other end and use some form of disruptive D's to slow down the SC bigs.

Of interest to me is the issue of boards on the SC end, especially O boards. Re-screening the classic UConn win, 2 years ago, one sees SC dominating, in this regard, esp. at the outset.

But I'm not sure that this unheralded version of Uconn is not better both defensively and in rebounding...Interesting to watch.

Reaction Score

Geno is not changing the starting lineup unless someone is injured.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Looking forward to a great game. IMHO, UConn should win if they can stay out of foul trouble. Huskies have done a nice job of not fouling over the last couple of games. Agree with cabbie191 that whistle happy refs a concern (assuming calls not going our way).

They have played 22 games to our 23 so stats don`t match up exactly, but here are some observations:

We shoot much better, 52.3% to 46.3%, also we have made 56 more threes. Opponents shoot very similar percentages against both teams but we have given up 29 more threes.

They foul more than us, 340-285, allowing 84 more free throws than us or about 4 per game. They also get to the line more than us, 117 more attempts, they are fouled more than us 434 -386. For example, Wilson averages 6 free throws per game, Collier about 3.4.

They have better rebounding stats than us but not by as wide a margin as I would have guessed. For example, they have 310 offensive rebounds and we have 272, and we have almost the same number of defensive rebounds. Again, we have played one more game than them.

They have more blocks, but not a huge difference 128-115.

Not surprisingly, we are way better in the assist category by 540 on 757 baskets, or 71%, versus 336 on 614, or 55%. Turnovers and steals are similar, and we score about 9 ppg more. We give up 54.3 ppg, they give up 55.5 ppg. Based on minutes per game, we go 7 deep and they go 8 deep.

So, we need to take advantage of our outside shooting advantage but also defend the three better; don`t let them go crazy on the offensive glass; continue to move the ball well and force them into one on one play; and above all, stay out of foul trouble against a team that goes to the line a lot. Pretty sure they will try to get some fouls on Gabby and Napheesa early.

As noted above, they do foul a lot, so hopefully we can get them in foul trouble. If memory serves me correctly, that has worked with Coates in the past.

I don`t think Geno is going to do anything different with his starting lineup, although I do expect that Natalie will play an important role. Rather, he will make it a fullcourt game early and see if SC can keep up.

HGN

Reaction Score
Really interesting idea, although I might suggest starting Butler over Chong and moving Lou to guard (After all she's up for the Dawn Staley award). Gabby does too much to leave her on the bench. If she stays out of foul trouble, I believe Gabby will play all 40 minutes on Monday.
Gabby playing the full 40 minutes......... And starting Butler over Saniya . That's a possibility. SC is just as vulnerable to front court foul trouble as UConn is.......Neither can survive a significant challenge with their front court players in foul trouble or on the bench. So its important to keep our guys on the court.

I believe this is a concern and problem that will be keeping both coach's up late at night until the tipoff.

Reaction Score

Would not be a problem for Wilson and Coates to shoot over Butler, and on offense, Butler's lack of hands and getting tied up in the post area would be very costly. Gabby stays.

Reaction Score
I watched a few sc games this season so far. The reason they won't beat uconn is, they don't have 5 great scorers that you need to put up enough points. They can't run with uconn for the full 40mins. Coates and wilson are jogging down by the 4th quarter. I expect a double digit win for uconn. This is the kind of game that uconn plays their best and imo kls is going to have a big game.

Reaction Score
The starting five will be the same. UConn's advantage is its quickness. Natalie will come in to give Gabby and Napheesa a break, but she won't be in long unless there's foul trouble. Lou needs to find her shot Saturday. The 3 ball will go a long way toward helping UConn win.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno doesn't change his starting lineup. That would be counterproductive.

To slow down Coates and Wilson, deny the entry pass. Press SC's guards to dribble even more than they do. Don't forget, Geno nd company have been stressing getting in the passing lanes to distrupt the opponent. This also leads to steals and the UConn fast break.

SC's guards are irratic as best. Their 3 point shooting is not a major threat.

Lou needs to find her stroke for the 3. But more important, Lou needs to make th cut & curl to the foul line for that sweet jumper. That will be the dagger for SC.

Reaction Score
I watched a few sc games this season so far. The reason they won't beat uconn is, they don't have 5 great scorers that you need to put up enough points. They can't run with uconn for the full 40mins. Coates and wilson are jogging down by the 4th quarter. I expect a double digit win for uconn. This is the kind of game that uconn plays their best and imo kls is going to have a big game.
I watched the games against SC and I noticed how gassed they were from our guys running, running, especially their big guys, Coates could hardly breath

Reaction Score
I think Geno has the core 4 and #5 already working hard on driving, faking, and hesitating underneath early and often in the first quarter forcing Coates and Wilson to engage our speed. AC and AW should amass a fair number of blocks ...and fouls. :cool:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Looking forward to a great game. IMHO, UConn should win if they can stay out of foul trouble. Huskies have done a nice job of not fouling over the last couple of games. Agree with cabbie191 that whistle happy refs a concern (assuming calls not going our way).

They have played 22 games to our 23 so stats don`t match up exactly, but here are some observations:

We shoot much better, 52.3% to 46.3%, also we have made 56 more threes. Opponents shoot very similar percentages against both teams but we have given up 29 more threes.

They foul more than us, 340-285, allowing 84 more free throws than us or about 4 per game. They also get to the line more than us, 117 more attempts, they are fouled more than us 434 -386. For example, Wilson averages 6 free throws per game, Collier about 3.4.

They have better rebounding stats than us but not by as wide a margin as I would have guessed. For example, they have 310 offensive rebounds and we have 272, and we have almost the same number of defensive rebounds. Again, we have played one more game than them.

They have more blocks, but not a huge difference 128-115.

Not surprisingly, we are way better in the assist category by 540 on 757 baskets, or 71%, versus 336 on 614, or 55%. Turnovers and steals are similar, and we score about 9 ppg more. We give up 54.3 ppg, they give up 55.5 ppg. Based on minutes per game, we go 7 deep and they go 8 deep.

So, we need to take advantage of our outside shooting advantage but also defend the three better; don`t let them go crazy on the offensive glass; continue to move the ball well and force them into one on one play; and above all, stay out of foul trouble against a team that goes to the line a lot. Pretty sure they will try to get some fouls on Gabby and Napheesa early.

As noted above, they do foul a lot, so hopefully we can get them in foul trouble. If memory serves me correctly, that has worked with Coates in the past.

I don`t think Geno is going to do anything different with his starting lineup, although I do expect that Natalie will play an important role. Rather, he will make it a fullcourt game early and see if SC can keep up.
This is a fascinating statistical comparison, but I think you do have to account for the fact that the quality of opposition in conference play is higher for South Carolina than for UConn. For the season as a whole, however, the quality of the opponents may be fairly comparable -- I frankly don't remember who the Gamecocks played in their out-of-conference schedule (other than Duke).

I agree that the starting lineup won't change, but I wouldn't be surprised if Butler gets more than her usual number of minutes, as she did against Baylor and Texas. As I've previously noted, she seems to play better against bigger opponents whose style is similar to hers, and Coates certainly fits that description. I think Butler, with some help, may be able to neutralize Coates and to score against her. But a bigger problem for South Carolina is to choose someone whom Coates can guard when UConn's starting 5 are on the floor -- any one of them can drive past her without breaking a sweat. She could try to camp out under the defensive basket and just be a backstop, but that means one of UConn's players will be left open to take jump shots, and I don't think Dawn would be comfortable leaving any of them open.

My observation is that when a small, fast team like UConn plays its game, a big/slow player like Coates can easily be a liability at both ends, but especially at the defensive end. I remember that with Stef Dolson a few years ago when UConn played a small/fast Georgetown team. In the Sweet 16 game, Stef was taken out for the last 10 minutes of the game, because she wasn't helping and Lorin Dixon was playing well.

As a coach/strategist, I would rather have Geno's team facing South Carolina than Dawn's team facing UConn. Dawn's challenges will be greater than Geno's.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
It will be a good game. I have noticed lately that Pheesa is coming out around the 3pt line during the offense. I can see them drawing the bigs away from the basket and isolating other players on the block or taking them one on one in hopes of drawing fouls. If Wilson and Coates get in foul troupe, even for a quarter, UCONN can put on the clamps and run up the lead and just play basket for basket the rest of the game. BIG IFs there but its what I a noticing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom