South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread]

Reaction Score
I mean come on guys… let’s keep it real here. CW is a senior. You can’t be a no-show like that. But I don’t know about you but I was really frustrated with Geno not getting in her face to get her going. Years past - he would challenge players. He just stood there stoically. Can’t have that. Fire your players up! Please!! But no…
Apparently not all players respond to in your face and I suspect Geno knew not to do this with CW.

Reaction Score
Ducharme was a bright spot.
She was the one player who had a little fight in her eyes! She got chippy a couple times and tried to walk right through a SC huddle! That’s the fire right there that was needed from our seniors but the freshman said (through her play) I am here to compete!

Loved that spark in her eye. She’s going to be great for us and she will be that leader that’s been missing. And what I mean by that - she will be that other player who will yell and challenge her teammates to fight!! Just you see…

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Had a feeling that the team was more dinged up than we realized after NCSU and Stanford games, along with a bug. Regardless, Geno is right, the ailments did not affect the final result.

One thing I observed is that Ducharme was much more active, and gotta wonder if she hadn't had the head injury (did anyone see the kinesiology tape on her neck?), she may have been more effective.

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
Yeah, but the outcome would be the same...a loss! I am just happy the young ladies got this far considering where they were a few months ago. I look forward to next season.
Not necessarily - they would have not dribbled out the last possession with a one point deficit :confused:

Reaction Score
You could not be more wrong with this evaluation. Held us back??? We would not be in the Final 4 without CW. Full stop. ONO shouldered a huge load throughout the season as our primary rim protector inside and facilitator from the high post. I agree that this was the worst time for both of these seniors to fade, but it is not indicative of their "mental toughness" or fight. It's extremely disrespectful for you to even make such claims. They've given their all to this program, in spite of tonight's outcome.
Of course they’ve given their all, just was never enough. Tonight was the story of their careers right or wrong.

Reaction Score
Agree that the better team won tonight, but I also think that our A game from the tip-off could've ended with a different result.

The real reason for this post is to say that I believe the chat room is for devoted fans who love women's basketball and who have followed the UConn women for years and who have high hopes and high expectations of the team. That means we write happy, excited posts when they do great things and not-so-happy posts when they under perform. I don't think Liv would expect a congratulatory chat post when she draws draw her upteenth moving screen foul of the tournament, or AE would want "that's okay -- you did your best" when she blows an open bunny. I know the players expect excellence of themselves... that's why they're at UConn. Wouldn't you all find a "Pollyannas Only" chat room to be extremely boring.

Reaction Score
For all those questioning Geno's substitutions & strategy, do you really think there was a combination or game plan that would have led to a UCONN victory? We needed a superlative performance from several players & we needed South Carolina's guards to have an off- night. Neither happened & the better team won tonight.
I agree regarding this game, I think the mistake was made against Mercer changing the starting lineup, which changed the team‘s chemistry significantly. The overwhelming defense and intensity at the start of games just wasn’t there throughout the tournament and it finally caught up with them tonight, the game was lost in the 1st quarter.
I just never saw the need for the change and nothing that happened in the tournament changed my mind. IMO, they were a better team at the end of the BE tournament than they were in the NCAAs. Certainly one can argue that because they did beat 2 #1 seeds but that is my opinion.

Reaction Score
Geno sounded awful in the post game press conference, he kept coughing, so I do think he might be sick. Poor Evina limped out onto the stage and just looked unbelievably heart broken.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wow! The chatroom is filled with fair weather second guessing "fans" who re trashing the coach & the players. So sad & disrespectful to a team that overcame so much adversity this season. Question the result, but not their heart & effort.
That’s why I didn’t stay. I’m usually in there tip to buzzer. I knew what was coming. I left before the game started. Based on what you’re reporting, I’m glad I did. I’m not new to the chat room. I know what to expect.

Reaction Score
Had a feeling that the team was more dinged up than we realized after NCSU and Stanford games, along with a bug. Regardless, Geno is right, the ailments did not affect the final result.

One thing I observed is that Ducharme was much more active, and gotta wonder if she hadn't had the head injury (did anyone see the kinesiology tape on her neck?), she may have been more effective.
I have to go back and look at game to see about the tape on CD neck.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the South Carolina game:
  • We have come to the end of one of the most challenging seasons in anyone’s memory. While the UConn Huskies fell short of their ultimate goal, there is so much to celebrate about this team. Playing shorthanded for much of the season, through 11 different starting lineups, UConn persevered, surviving an incredibly difficult gantlet during the NCAA Tournament to make it to their 12th national championship game.
  • Even tonight, against an overpowering SC team, UConn played shorthanded. Whether having Dorka and Aubrey available would have made much of a difference, who knows? But just like your mom’s chicken soup, “It couldn’t hurt.”
  • Credit the South Carolina Gamecocks for earning their 2nd national championship in convincing fashion. SC has earned the right, on the court this year, to display a national championship banner at Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, SC.
  • Some UConn fans will criticize Husky players and coaches about the game tonight, and some of those criticisms may be justified. However, many criticisms will simply be the emotional response to the disappointment that we all feel when our beloved Huskies come up short of our hopes and expectations. I will remind everyone that as bad as we all may feel about UConn’s loss, the players feel infinitely worse.
  • I want to express my heartfelt thanks and deep appreciation to our departing seniors: Christyn, Liv & Evina, whose dedication, hard work and sacrifice for UConn WBB was extraordinary. I wish each of them great success in the WNBA or wherever their paths in life may lead them. They will always be in our hearts.
  • How I love UConn WBB! I will be following their every move in the offseason, impatiently counting the days until Dorka, Aubrey, Paige, Aaliyah, Nika, Piath, Azzi, Caroline, Amari, Ice & Ayanna lace up their sneakers, trying once again to chase down a 12th banner. GO HUSKIES!!!
Tough one tonight. They got beat in all facets of the game. I feel for Williams and Nelson-Ododa, but I feel most for Westbrook. She left it on the floor tonight and played until she couldn't stand.

The team showed some resilience, clawing their way back into the game on multiple occasions. While I'm proud of their willingness to get up off the deck, I was disappointed in the rebounding and the fact that we couldn't stop Henderson.

I am sure that we will go round and round on this for a while, but for now, I'm proud of this group of players and I think that the future is bright for the program.

Reaction Score
so disappointed for, and in, the seniors. i cannot believe that this was how they competed in their last game, after finally getting to the championship game - especially cw and ew. oh well, it was that kinda season. thanks and good luck in the future...

Reaction Score
I agree regarding this game, I think the mistake was made against Mercer changing the starting lineup, which changed the team‘s chemistry significantly. The overwhelming defense and intensity at the start of games just wasn’t there throughout the tournament and it finally caught up with them tonight, the game was lost in the 1st quarter.
I just never saw the need for the change and nothing that happened in the tournament changed my mind. IMO, they were a better team at the end of the BE tournament than they were in the NCAAs. Certainly one can argue that because they did beat 2 #1 seeds but that is my opinion.
south park beat a dead horse GIF

Reaction Score
i am proud of this team. super memorable. each and every member. uconn vs everybody. i hate that candace parker and aja wilson are celebrating like they won something.

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
Rebounds were 49-24 to SC. Let that sink in. I am proud they didn’t loose by 20+ given that stat. Stop excoriating the guards.

Calling all stat junkies: when was the last time we were outrebounded this badly? Off the top of my head, I can’t remember another instance (been watching/following the team for 28 years)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
In spite of this loss...I am proud of this team for staying tough after going through all what they went through. Resiliency was their earmark this season...they never gave up. They got to the championship game when no one thought they could.

Next year we will be seeing a completely different team...many of the same players back...However,

Fudd and Ducharme will be super sophomores.

Aliyah Edwards will be a beast.

Bueckers will be reclaiming her POY award and thanking Boston for keeping it safe for her until she was ready to reclaim it.

DeBerry will show why Geno said that she was the most talented big he has ever had.

Dorka will be back to add strength to our back court and to finish unfinished business.

We will welcome back the venerable and talented Aubrey Griffin.

Nika Muhl will either vie for the 6th man award or will be everyone's nightmare on the defensive end.

Our two freshmen 6'4 and 6'3" Ice Brady and Ayanna Pattison will look to find a way to contribute.

And, then in spite of this plethora of riches we still have to figure out what to do with 6'5" Paith Gabriel.

And, maybe Geno and his staff will pull a rabbit out of the hat from the transfer portal...

5'11", 5/11", 5'11", 6'1", 6'2", 6'3", 6'3", 6'4", 6'5", 6'5", 6'5"...we will be long next year!!!

Reaction Score
Looks more shoulder than neck. Also what injury did Ono sustain in Fridays game?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom