South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread]

Reaction Score
South Carolina will have EVERYONE BACK—except Henny and LeLe next year with Watkins and Cooper next year. They’re not going anywhere. My guess-Champs again next year. They were so dominant. I seriously thought UCONN would win to be honest, but just wow from SC. Just WOW. Dawn deserves it.

Reaction Score
I hate to say this, but I think next year’s team will be better than this year’s.

Reaction Score
south park beat a dead horse GIF
How about telling me why you disagree? I offered an opinion based on results and game observations, Uconn went from a dominating team at the start of games to a break even one at best in the tournament.
They were outscored in the first quarter by 6 by UCF, 14 by SC, and led by 3 against Indiana and Stanford and 2 against NC State. This after establishing themselves as a completely dominant starting team through the end of the regular conference schedule and the BE tournament; a conference that proved far stronger than given credit for on the only place it matters, the court.
They may not to you but results matter to me when forming my opinions.

Reaction Score
I don't agree that everything is wrapped up. Something else needs to be said. I agree with the idea of grace and dignity but I also agree with the concept of enforcing the rules of the game equitably and as they are written. Until the NCAA gets officials that will enforce the rules of basketball and blow their whistles, and not act at times like AAU referees, both in the men's and women's games, regarding freedom of movement, hand checking, pushing, and walking it will be the bigger and more physical team that will prevail.

This was the least officiated NCAA finals game, men or women, I can ever recall seeing. South Carolina may be the most physical team in the country and for them to have 11 total fouls to our 21, or an average of 2.6 per 10 minute quarter is a joke. If you go back and look at this game closely you will see several uncalled fouls by Boston alone. When Evina went up that one time and they repeated it, you could see an obvious body foul on the leg and arm. The play by play announcer, who needs to go back to basketball school, didn't recognize it, which showed me where the game has now gone, but the refs are trained supposedly to know better.

We lost that game. The refs didn't cause it but they were putrid and emblematic of the gender inequity in the sport based upon the quality of the officials in the women's game as compared to the men's games which was apparent all year. We didn't even have our B game tonight. Azzi was sick, CW was shut down or just exhausted, Evina came to play but got hurt and others just didn't have it. We were generally tired and lacking energy. It wasn't voluntary. We played 3 intense games in 6 days with a day of travel in between. You can get by for one game. The second one on one day's rest, will get you. SC had an easier Semis game and an extra day rest before. The men get 5 full days in between the E8 and the FF not 3 like us.

We were flat. Even so, with some obvious calls, it may have been closer but probably not enough. I just have a real problem with the women's game evolving into a smaller version of the men's game and I see it coming. It's what you will get unless the feckless NCAA either enforces the rules or changes them. I would recommend to everyone Jay Bilas' recent critique of men's college basketball. Parts of it, especially about the restriction of movement, apply equally to our game. I love this team too, am incredibly proud to be a fan, and because of that I always also want our women to be treated fairly. They were not tonight. I'm sorry but that needs to be said also. Would it have effected the outcome? I think not. But our team deserved a well officiated game. They got nothing of the sort.
I believe one of the announcers said Boston only had 3 fouls all tournament. I looked it up, Howard 0 fouls, Miami 1, NCState 2, Creighton 0, Louisville 0. Something is amiss here. Not saying we deserved the win, but seems that someone is getting preferential treatment. Hard to believe anyone would have this few fouls that play as physical as Boston. UConn I believe she had two.

Reaction Score
i had a feeling they weren't up to it. there's a very troubling trend going on. either they aren't getting good enough players or not the right mix of players (i'm still scratching my head over last years 10-point loss to Arizona (seriously?)). UConn used to be S Carolina where they were the team to beat and when they played a tough/better team, they would at least keep the game close. now they get pummeled. something is missing and has been for a while so hopefully Geno can right the ship.

6 yrs now.. wow!

Reaction Score
Geno will have to start recruiting some longer better talented bigs. Cleary evident that UConn had no answers for Carolina bigs in the frontcourt.
Geno's or rather UCONN's Achillie's heel has always been small quick guards. Thats how we lost several final four games. But we did a great job with what we had and I am so proud of our team and heart broken for them.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the South Carolina game:
  • We have come to the end of one of the most challenging seasons in anyone’s memory. While the UConn Huskies fell short of their ultimate goal, there is so much to celebrate about this team. Playing shorthanded for much of the season, through 11 different starting lineups, UConn persevered, surviving an incredibly difficult gantlet during the NCAA Tournament to make it to their 12th national championship game.
  • Even tonight, against an overpowering SC team, UConn played shorthanded. Whether having Dorka and Aubrey available would have made much of a difference, who knows? But just like your mom’s chicken soup, “It couldn’t hurt.”
  • Credit the South Carolina Gamecocks for earning their 2nd national championship in convincing fashion. SC has earned the right, on the court this year, to display a national championship banner at Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, SC.
  • Some UConn fans will criticize Husky players and coaches about the game tonight, and some of those criticisms may be justified. However, many criticisms will simply be the emotional response to the disappointment that we all feel when our beloved Huskies come up short of our hopes and expectations. I will remind everyone that as bad as we all may feel about UConn’s loss, the players feel infinitely worse.
  • I want to express my heartfelt thanks and deep appreciation to our departing seniors: Christyn, Liv & Evina, whose dedication, hard work and sacrifice for UConn WBB was extraordinary. I wish each of them great success in the WNBA or wherever their paths in life may lead them. They will always be in our hearts.
  • How I love UConn WBB! I will be following their every move in the offseason, impatiently counting the days until Dorka, Aubrey, Paige, Aaliyah, Nika, Piath, Azzi, Caroline, Amari, Ice & Ayanna lace up their sneakers, trying once again to chase down a 12th banner. GO HUSKIES!!!
If Azzi was not feeling well, why was she a starter? Caroline Ducharme, given her height and proven record of being able to create her shot, at clutch time, would have been a better choice.

Reaction Score
South Carolina will have EVERYONE BACK—except Henny and LeLe next year with Watkins and Cooper next year. They’re not going anywhere. My guess-Champs again next year. They were so dominant. I seriously thought UCONN would win to be honest, but just wow from SC. Just WOW. Dawn deserves it.
Saxton is probably gone, too. Given Henny produced almost half our points tonight I think the question mark at the 1-spot for next year is large.

I think it’s going to be really hard for teams to win consecutive titles. The Big 3 of the last two years - South Carolina, Stanford, and UConn - will remain as such for at least next season. I’m overjoyed the Gamecocks finished this one but my gut says next year will be the one for UConn. Better health and a deeper frontcourt.

Reaction Score
I’d have to project Stanford and SC as 2 and #1 next year preseason. Too bad that Blackwell girl from Missouri has so many disciplinary problems as she would have helped. Here is the deal beyond the rebounding issue. Paige couldn’t make much headway tonight on this high screens as she would look up after clearing the pick and there would be Sexton or Boston waiting for her and SC is so big they covered the roll well with the switch. Our approach was to make the guards beat us rather than Boston so what do they do? They knock down several 3’s in a row. I thought Geno’s game plan was the best option but we just couldn’t force turnovers and they hit jump shots and driving layups well. They did restrain Boston though. If SC’s guards had a bad shooting day they knew when the shot was going up and had great rebounding position. That is Dawn’s game in a nutshell. Tough defense and win the boards big time.

Reaction Score
SC's defense was something to behold, not giving UConn many looks at all. Brought back memories of UConn teams that played that way. Got to wonder if UConn will ever get back to that ability to shut opponents down. Must be something Staley really covets in her recruiting.

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme of ESPN has UCONN as #2 in his early ranking for next year behind SC and just ahead of Stanford.
LOL...Charlie is such a frontrunner. He probably ranked the teams based on their finish this year.

Reaction Score
As noted all year Caroline was the type of player who could score against top competition . She should have a more important role next year.
I know Geno knows best but are you buying what he said at the press conference, about her play post injury.

Reaction Score
As noted all year Caroline was the type of player who could score against top competition . She should have a more important role next year.
Next year she'll be in the starting lineup along with Paige, Azzi, Dorka, and Aaliyah.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
South Carolina played a tough aggressive game, won the battle of the boards when it most counted...actually hardly a battle and was clearly the better team tonight...

-I agree with the poster who noted that we had a lot of stuffing knocked out of us in the two previous wins, certainly a factor.

- I take exception to BRS quote re: Geno on Caroline (I am taking it 2nd hand, not having heard the interview)...We wouldn't have been in Bridgeport as a high seed w/o Caroline and I thought she played extremely tough tonight...If a kid has carried the team for weeks and then has a hard time finding a minute or two, its gotta do something to her head (that part that is not physical)
Tonight she was our second leading scorer and the only guard/wing shooting 50% and mixed it up inside. She is very much the future.

I also agree with the poster who said that even with the wins all the way up to the final, that changing the starting lineup was a mistake, and certainly tonight with Azzi ill...

Not that any of this would necessarily have changed the outcome; almost certainly not.

And (as his custom) Geno started the original 5 for the 2nd half who had had the toughest time at the outset and they fell short again...seemed a bit rigid to me...why not shake the lineup up?

If the game wasn't completely lost in the 1st quarter, then the poor start to quarter 3 doomed us.
That was the moment to continue the good play that had got the lead under 10 and threaten SC.

I certainly think second guessing the rotations and personnel decisions are valid discussion points for
the late Spring and Summer and will be pursued.

It was a valiant, lovable group who gave it all and couldn't quite get it done
Perhaps it was a bridge too far
And maybe, just maybe, they were also slightly let down by managerial decisions.
(But it's easy to 2nd guess, harder to get it done in situ).

Reaction Score
I mean come on guys… let’s keep it real here. CW is a senior. You can’t be a no-show like that. But I don’t know about you but I was really frustrated with Geno not getting in her face to get her going. Years past - he would challenge players. He just stood there stoically. Can’t have that. Fire your players up! Please!! But no…
I don’t know why people think the only way to motivate players is to yell at them on tv in front of millions of fans.

Every one of our players was motivated tonight. Every one wanted to win this game. Not every player rises to the occasion every single time. Players play poorly for a million different reasons. And very few of those reasons can be addressed by screaming at a player.

Reaction Score
In my opinion Caroline probably was affected by her injuries. Who isn’t? SC will miss Destiny Henderson but Raven will be back ( She was getting good minutes before she got hurt) and one of their incoming guards is excellent. They have a freshman forward who jumps like Michael Jordan. Maybe the best woman dunker in the college game next year.

Reaction Score
I didn’t have high hopes for this game, mainly for two reasons:
  1. the last two games took a lot out of the team. They had to really dig deep and gut out those wins. It’s very very hard to do that a third time. I think they were physically and emotionally exhausted, not just by the last two games but by the entire season.
  2. SC is just better than us this year. They have great talent, a great coach, and much less disruption to their team. They were able to build and build from the start to the end of the season. UConn was constantly putting out fires from start to finish.
It’s always nice when there is a Disney ending with the hard scrabble team experiencing adversity throughout the season comes back to win it all at the end. But, life isn’t Disney.

That we made to the final game says so much about the team as a whole, from the players to the coaches to the practice players to the support staff. Everyone gave their all, and look where it got them. In my mind, they over achieved this year. And they have this experience to build on next year.

Reaction Score
First, congratulations to SC they were the better team tonight and the best team overall all year. To UCONN departing seniors, thank you for your services. I wish them well in their endeavors moving forward.

If UCONN wants to get ”over the hump” there is a lot of work needed physically and mentally. Some recruiting misses over the pass few years have comeback to hurt us as well. I think we can get there with the returning core, but need to add some more pieces and get tougher. Once again, hats off to SC, they are killing it right now in WCBB. We got some work to do.

Reaction Score
I don’t know why people think the only way to motivate players is to yell at them on tv in front of millions of fans.

Every one of our players was motivated tonight. Every one wanted to win this game. Not every player rises to the occasion every single time. Players play poorly for a million different reasons. And very few of those reasons can be addressed by screaming at a player.
You’re right. My bad, what was I thinking? Positive reinforcement; tell her she’s great; and give her a trophy at the end. The 0 points… not a big deal. I’m sure her teammates were happy to know she was motivated.

Reaction Score
Bottom line: The better team won. Bigger, stronger, quicker, more athletic. And they're not going away.
That's the cold, stark, bottom line. It's like we're back to the days when the SEC had all the athletes. The coaching staff has to improve its recruiting in order to win another NC.

Good luck to the seniors in their post-UConn careers.

Reaction Score
No, but it would have allowed Paige to get open off the dribble drive without holding her. Or Azzi, or everybody else. We didn't hold Henderson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom