South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread] | Page 10 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread]

Reaction Score
i had a feeling they weren't up to it. there's a very troubling trend going on. either they aren't getting good enough players or not the right mix of players (i'm still scratching my head over last years 10-point loss to Arizona (seriously?)). UConn used to be S Carolina where they were the team to beat and when they played a tough/better team, they would at least keep the game close. now they get pummeled. something is missing and has been for a while so hopefully Geno can right the ship.

6 yrs now.. wow!
Right the ship?

They just made it to the finals. Their whole year they were hurt. They missed a valued big - and beat Stanford without it.

Right the ship? Just wow.

***I just knew all the knives would come out after one loss as they usually do. Wow. We lose in the finals and it's "Right the ship" by some. Looking at other teams being stronger yet oblivious that UCONN will be. Just wow.

Others he yells too much. Just wow.

Reaction Score
I was surprised that I did not see one pump fake tonight. Our guards just shot into the big on them. Azzi better start doing that or she will underperform against good D. Ah well........hope we corral another big. The finesse game in WBB could be at an end. The women are getting too strong and fast.
UCONN loses to one team in which they still suffer injuries and all of sudden everything has changed?

Reaction Score
South Carolina was quicker more determined and a longer team than Connecticut is. When you watch free throws and see how our Bigs get pushed around will show the need for a big body center for the future. And even though Boston didn’t have an amazing game she still played well and was a factor. More to the point is that we got burned again by a small speeding guard. McDonald, Agunbowale, Williams. The problem needs to be addressed with recruiting. With that said this Connecticut team should be proud of this season and the way they faced adversity. Not many programs if any could have responded the way they did this year.

Reaction Score
She was the one player who had a little fight in her eyes! She got chippy a couple times and tried to walk right through a SC huddle! That’s the fire right there that was needed from our seniors but the freshman said (through her play) I am here to compete!

Loved that spark in her eye. She’s going to be great for us and she will be that leader that’s been missing. And what I mean by that - she will be that other player who will yell and challenge her teammates to fight!! Just you see…
She was on the floor when UConn made it interesting in each half. After her lost month, she held her own. The kid’s a player! It’ll be interesting where she’s slotted next year.

Reaction Score
I thought UConn's chances were about 20%, and that was before it was known Azzi was sick and that apparently Liv was playing hampered.

SC may have won anyway, but that wasn't a fair fight, and nobody being honest thinks it was.
Fudd shot 20-55 for the entire tournament, 36%; 13-32 from 3, 40%. She had 2 assists and 9 TOs for the tournament.

Bueckers shot 39-71, 55%; 5-16 from 3, 31%, but 3-14. She had 17 assists and 14 TOs.

Williams shot 21-76, 28%; 7-32 from 3, 22%. She had 11 assists and 4 TOs.

Westbrook shot 13-36, 36%; 6-19, 32% from 3. She had 8 assists and 8 TOs.

So combined, the guards with the bulk of the minutes shot 93-238, 39% overall; 31-99, 31% from 3; with 38 assists and 35 TOs.

I am an unabashed Muhl fan, her stats are mediocre at best but the team just played better with her on the court, especially at the start of games. She was the spark plug of energy that brought intensity and took the fight to the other team from the start. Uconn had great play and great chemistry going into the tournament with Auriemma acknowledging that several times publicly, lauding the depth of the team. For whatever reason, he decided to change that, altering Muhl and Ducharme‘s roles significantly and changing the persona of Uconn at the start of games. Obviously, I felt and feel it was a very poor decision, don’t fix what ain’t broken.
It has become somewhat of a pattern for Uconn to eventually lose to a team with comparable talent but a willingness to take the game to Uconn. SC was clearly, the better, more aggressive team, as was Arizona last year. For those complaining about the refs, the more aggressive team, the team that takes the fight to the opponent almost always gets the bulk of the calls, it has been that way forever.
Anyway, Uconn fans can again take solace in the war cry of the old Brooklyn Dodger fans, “wait ‘til next year.”

Reaction Score
How about telling me why you disagree? I offered an opinion based on results and game observations, Uconn went from a dominating team at the start of games to a break even one at best in the tournament.
They were outscored in the first quarter by 6 by UCF, 14 by SC, and led by 3 against Indiana and Stanford and 2 against NC State. This after establishing themselves as a completely dominant starting team through the end of the regular conference schedule and the BE tournament; a conference that proved far stronger than given credit for on the only place it matters, the court.
They may not to you but results matter to me when forming my opinions.
Didn’t say I totally disagree just that’s all you post about bring something new to the table Don’t just repeat yourself

Reaction Score
It’s not like he hasn’t tried. many of us thought he had Boston in the bag until she committed to South Carolina at the last minute. The biggies all seem to be going to the west coast.
Then, sadly, it must be the coaching? Why is it the better, more talented bigs are NOT coming to UConn?

Reaction Score
And when your team commits one or more fouls every game because they haven't been required to NOT MOVE WHEN SCREENING, there are consequence. You can teach effective, and legal, screening using two words, "Stand Still!" and requiring discipline.

Difficult to criticize anything about this team, but the Coaching Staff needs to do a thorough, and objective, self-evaluation. Then, Geno needs to fix what's wrong.

Geno, needs to start teaching fundamental. Rebounding position is not standing with your arms fully extended. Want proof? Stand with your arms stright up. Now, try to jump. You've eliminated your arms, and that's not a good way to rebound.

It's shocking, and disgusting that believe we are being outcoached starting from the first day of practice. But I think we are.

I know there are those who will disagree, including some who will do so without engaging objective analysis. We all have opinions, but I think its time to remove the blinders. When you're done learning, you're done.
Totally agree rebounding is attitude get a body on people and on offense bigs had ball to much on top with every one standing literally on sides no movement

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Fudd shot 20-55 for the entire tournament, 36%; 13-32 from 3, 40%. She had 2 assists and 9 TOs for the tournament.

Bueckers shot 39-71, 55%; 5-16 from 3, 31%, but 3-14. She had 17 assists and 14 TOs.

So combined, the guards with the bulk of the minutes shot 93-238, 39% overall; 31-99, 31% from 3; with 38 assists and 35 TOs.

I'm not sure why this post is in response to mine.

As for the stats, well, nobody was particularly good offensively for UConn during the tournament. That's in part because this isn't a great offensive team, in part because of players being less than 100%, and in part because they played three of the 5 best and four of the 20 best defenses in the nation.

It was always going to be a struggle to score against SC. The way to counter that is to keep the possessions close, and that did not happen. And it's been a pattern. UConn has shot better than their opponent in four of these last five tourney losses.

Reaction Score

I am an unabashed Muhl fan, her stats are mediocre at best but the team just played better with her on the court, especially at the start of games. She was the spark plug of energy that brought intensity and took the fight to the other team from the start. Uconn had great play and great chemistry going into the tournament with Auriemma acknowledging that several times publicly, lauding the depth of the team. For whatever reason, he decided to change that, altering Muhl and Ducharme‘s roles significantly and changing the persona of Uconn at the start of games. Obviously, I felt and feel it was a very poor decision, don’t fix what ain’t broken.
It has become somewhat of a pattern for Uconn to eventually lose to a team with comparable talent but a willingness to take the game to Uconn. SC was clearly, the better, more aggressive team, as was Arizona last year. For those complaining about the refs, the more aggressive team, the team that takes the fight to the opponent almost always gets the bulk of the calls, it has been that way forever.
Anyway, Uconn fans can again take solace in the war cry of the old Brooklyn Dodger fans, “wait ‘til next year.”
Listen, I adore Nika Muhl for everything she brings but I don’t think it was a mistake to insert Paige into the starting lineup. To be fair, it’s not really realistic to compare the team chemistry/flow in the games Nika started vs. the games Paige started because the stakes were higher and the competition was better. I think they needed to put Paige in the starting lineup as soon as she was ready in order to get her as close to 100% (confidence-wise while maybe not physically-wise) for the moments they would need her to come through in the tournament. Without that, I don’t think we see the OT takeover Paige performance from the NC state. And without that, the Final Four streak is dead. If it were up to me, I would have kept Nika in the starting lineup with Paige and sent CW to come off the bench. However, I realize how unlikely that was to happen because she is a senior and was a solid presence for majority of the year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Then, sadly, it must be the coaching? Why is it the better, more talented bigs are NOT coming to UConn?
I think DeBerry is very talented but she did not seem to have a very aggressive mindset coming in. That often happens in HS when you can get by on talent and size. I think her motivation to get to the next level after how she was relegated to mop up minutes is very high. I see a big improvement in her. With Dorka pushing her, She can do what Liv did in passing and should be a more versatile offensive player (A significant upgrade) . With Aaliyah continuing her progression and newbies Ice and Patterson and Aubrey coming back, we will never be doubled in rebounding again

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I basically agree with this whole post and thanks for compiling those stats. It's going to be the what if that some including myself will think about for a long time regarding this team. The only thing is that they did get to the championship game and there's no way of knowing if they would've if they didn't tinker the lineup. Like Paige averaged around 15 during the tournament, I wholeheartedly believe with the right amount of minutes 25-30, CD could've averaged 15 as well but there's no way of knowing. I also agree that SC and AZ the past two years played with an aggressiveness and speed that caused all types of problems for the team. Regardless making it to the championship is a huge accomplishment. Like beating NC State and Stanford with the teams they had this year is a big deal. I thought we'd be able to get over the hump last night but it just wasn't in the cards I guess.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lot of opinions and views, but the box score tells the real story.

1) Both teams made 22 field goals. Shooting percentages, (UConn - 40.7%, SC -36.7%). Hmmm? Taken alone, this is not indicative of the score and outcome. UConn should have had a better outcome, but...

2) Offensive rebounds (UConn - 6, SC - 21). This typically indicates extra FG attempts at the basket, so SC should have about 15 more FG attempts. And ...

3) Turnovers (UConn -15, SC -14) also typically indicates extra FG attempts. This stat is basically even.

4) Yet, FG attempts where nearly even (UConn - 54, SC - 60). How come? Where did the expected 15 more FG from the offensive rebounds mentioned in 1), go? If UConn had 54, SC should have 69 or more. What gives?

5) The answer: Free throws attempts (UConn - 4, SC - 26). Most of the offensive rebounds manifested themselves (not necessarily resulted) in fouls against UConn and FT attempts for SC. The FT's made (UConn - 1, SC - 17) is basically the margin of victory. SC was called for some fouls at the end, which was "window dressing" by the officials. Too little, too late and of no relevance to the game.

The above results question the legitimacy of a some of the narratives and opinions thrown around. For example:
  • "Amazing defense by SC. Best in history". True, but UConn's defense was equal if not better. Note that 3) shows that both defenses caused the same number of turnovers. Good defense also implies missed shots, but UConn shot better as indicated by 1). Defense was even.
  • "Officiating was not a factor". As shown in 5) it was a factor. Apparently, not only did UConn allow SC to outrebound them on the offensive glass, but they eventually fouled. The officials rewarded SC aggressiveness and penalized UConn's lack of aggressiveness.
  • "SC clearly the better team". The only thing SC was clearly better at was in 2) offensive rebounds and 5) getting officials to call fouls on UConn, while somehow not getting called for fouls themselves. Peculiar, because 1) and 3) indicate both teams played equally tough defense.
There you have it. SC aggressiveness was rewarded. UConn was not aggressive enough. The officials called the game this way and it favored SC. They capitalized on what was given and won the game. Credit to SC.

My conclusion and opinion is that SC deserved the win and they where the better team this night with these officials. But, I do not buy some of the narratives being thrown about. Specifically, they are not "clearly" the better team and not 16 point better than UConn. The Vegas spread is probably more realistic (4points or so favoring SC).

Considering UConn's health issues, it is amazing what UConn accomplished. Bravo to both teams, but, especially UConn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Azzi was not feeling well, why was she a starter? Caroline Ducharme, given her height and proven record of being able to create her shot, at clutch time, would have been a better choice.
Why are you asking me such a silly question which has absolutely nothing to do with my postgame comment?

Reaction Score
Bad loss for UCONN, lost in rebounds by 2 to 1, and out shot from foul line 26 to 4!
That's the difference in the game!
One was the fault of UCONN (rebounds), the other was the refs (26-4 foul shots)
Giving any team a 2 to 1 advantage in fouls called affects a game, that reality, and its been a well known secret this year in the SEC that SC doesn't get fouls called against them!
Sour grapes, maybe, but look at the stats in this tournament, every game SC was benefitted with an almost 2 to 1 advantage in fouls called, except one, their closest win! Same for almost every SEC game! Ranting maybe, but Women's basketball this year has really been officiated as a whole not very good!

Reaction Score
Lot of opinions and views, but the box score tells the real story.

1) Both teams made 22 field goals. Shooting percentages, (UConn - 40.7%, SC -36.7%). Hmmm? Taken alone, this is not indicative of the score and outcome. UConn should have had a better outcome, but...

2) Offensive rebounds (UConn - 6, SC - 21). This typically indicates extra FG attempts at the basket, so SC should have about 15 more FG attempts. And ...

3) Turnovers (UConn -15, SC -14) also typically indicates extra FG attempts. This stat is basically even.

4) Yet, FG attempts where nearly even (UConn - 54, SC - 60). How come? Where did the expected 15 more FG from the offensive rebounds mentioned in 1), go? If UConn had 54, SC should have 69 or more. What gives?

5) The answer: Free throws attempts (UConn - 4, SC - 26). Most of the offensive rebounds manifested themselves (not necessarily resulted) in fouls against UConn and FT attempts for SC. The FT's made (UConn - 1, SC - 17) is basically the margin of victory. SC was called for some fouls at the end, which was "window dressing" by the officials. Too little, too late and of no relevance to the game.

The above results question the legitimacy of a some of the narratives and opinions thrown around. For example:
  • "Amazing defense by SC. Best in history". True, but UConn's defense was equal if not better. Note that 3) shows that both defenses caused the same number of turnovers. Good defense also implies missed shots, but UConn shot better as indicated by 1). Defense was even.
  • "Officiating was not a factor". As shown in 5) it was a factor. Apparently, not only did UConn allow SC to outrebound them on the offensive glass, but they eventually fouled. The officials rewarded SC aggressiveness and penalized UConn's lack of aggressiveness.
  • "SC clearly the better team". The only thing SC was clearly better at was in 2) offensive rebounds and 5) getting officials to call fouls on UConn, while somehow not getting called for fouls themselves. Peculiar, because 1) and 3) indicate both teams played equally tough defense.
There you have it. SC aggressiveness was rewarded. UConn was not aggressive enough. The officials called the game this way and it favored SC. They capitalized on what was given and won the game. Credit to SC.

My conclusion and opinion is that SC deserved the win and they where the better team this night with these officials. But, I do not buy some of the narratives being thrown about. Specifically, they are not "clearly" the better team and not 16 point better than UConn. The Vegas spread is probably more realistic (4points or so favoring SC).

Considering UConn's health issues, it is amazing what UConn accomplished. Bravo to both teams, but, especially UConn.
Gotta agree, I posted also the difference was rebounds and foul shots!
Its always easy to blame the refs, but in a championship game a 2 to 1 advantage in fouls called is an embarrassment, and explains why SC had a 22 shot advantage at the foul line! Amazed UCONN only lost by 15!

Reaction Score
Everybody knows deep down that GA royally screwed this up for us.

He should have had our secret weapon down low and we would be cutting down the nets. Nika would have done an hell of a job boxing out Boston and the entire SC Team....well it would have given us a hell of a good laugh anyway!:p

Reaction Score
I have not always agreed with your posts, but I agree with this one. As a longterm reader of the BY and a poster this year, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your opinions. One of the best parts of the BY is reading comments that challenge my own.

Living in Europe, I had to watch the game in the middle of the night and take the morning off from work. A few thoughts before heading back to the grind.

As in the game against Arizona last year, the rest of the UConn team did not play well enough to take pressure off Paige, and she had to take some really difficult shots. If Paige had played on SC, she might have been the best guard last night. Grateful that she gave her all despite still recovering from major surgery.

Azzi didn’t have a great game last night, but she was sick, and she still stepped up and tried to play anyway. A real champion. Some people have complained she didn’t turn out to be the next Paige, but she doesn’t need to be Paige because she is Azzi, and she’s going to be an even better Azzi next year. She has the best shot in WCBB. She’s going to be scary good next year.

Some people are disappointed that Caroline and Nika didn’t play a lot at the end of the season. But that’s going to change next season. With CW and E gone, they’ll be on the court a lot. I think Nika has the talent to drive toward the basket, and if she works on that, she’ll be more than a defensive pest and an occasional 3 point shooter. Caroline has just scratched the surface of her immense talent.

Given that Amari played only garbage minutes this year, she showed a lot of poise last night. I truly believe with more game time she’ll be great. Looking forward to seeing Amari on the court with Dorka next year. Thank you, Dorka, for choosing to come back! I hope next season will be a breakout year for Piath.

I’m going to really miss CW, Liv, and Evina. Without them UConn would never had made the championship game. And they’re great people as well. Hope to see them in the WNBA.

Finally, and I know I’m in the minority here, I think UConn was capable of beating SC this year. Just maybe not last night. Henderson has been struggling recently, but last night she had the game of her life. But that’s sports. As Geno said, it’s not who is the best team. It’s who is the best team for 40 minutes of a game. Very hopeful for next year. And because I live in a country where no one has heard of UConn WBB, I’m grateful for the opportunity to share my passion for this incredible team and program with you.

Bye for now.

Reaction Score
I wish people would stop blaming the refs. South Carolina was the much quicker team. Quicker teams draw more fouls. Dawn has done a really good job with recruiting fast and quick players. Those are things you can't teach. The other parts of the game you can teach and she has done a good job with that as well.

To me, the difference in the game was Paige basically taking the 1st & 3rd quarters off. Sometimes team players need to become selfish early in the game, instead of waiting until the end.

Everyone is pointing to the rebounds and fouls as being the biggest issues of the game, but to me it was the turnovers at critical times of the game. There were 2 opportunities in the 3rd quarter UConn had a chance to cut the lead to 3 or 4 points and didn't even get a shot off and South Carolina scored 4 straight points and got the lead back to 10. Little things add up to big things.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
i had a feeling they weren't up to it. there's a very troubling trend going on. either they aren't getting good enough players or not the right mix of players (i'm still scratching my head over last years 10-point loss to Arizona (seriously?)). UConn used to be S Carolina where they were the team to beat and when they played a tough/better team, they would at least keep the game close. now they get pummeled. something is missing and has been for a while so hopefully Geno can right the ship.

6 yrs now.. wow!
As UConn fans, we've been incredibly lucky since 1995, with all the successes, all the NCs, all the highly rated players, etc. However, the false expectation that we should win the NC every year has gotta go. There are so many things that go into winning a NC, and there are usually a few teams that can make a run for it, and then performance, timing, injuries, matchups, and luck will all play a part. "Righting the ship" and "6 yrs now" is a very narrow focused perspective that doesn't give any other teams credit as to what they accomplish.

Imagine being teams that have many of the parts necessary to compete in the tourney, and they only gets there once every six years? Do they need to right the ship? Some of these teams are incredibly happy with what they accomplish.

Yesterday's game would have been close, assuming UConn was as healthy as it could be, as some of the players weren't at 100%. Geno knew that luck would play a part. So, bash the players and coaches if you must, however after everything that has happened this season, I'll take this group, faults and all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Oh my, you are obsessed. Maybe our guards shooting was affected because nobody has to guard Muhl, and helps everywhere else???

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the South Carolina game:
  • We have come to the end of one of the most challenging seasons in anyone’s memory. While the UConn Huskies fell short of their ultimate goal, there is so much to celebrate about this team. Playing shorthanded for much of the season, through 11 different starting lineups, UConn persevered, surviving an incredibly difficult gantlet during the NCAA Tournament to make it to their 12th national championship game.
  • Even tonight, against an overpowering SC team, UConn played shorthanded. Whether having Dorka and Aubrey available would have made much of a difference, who knows? But just like your mom’s chicken soup, “It couldn’t hurt.”
  • Credit the South Carolina Gamecocks for earning their 2nd national championship in convincing fashion. SC has earned the right, on the court this year, to display a national championship banner at Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, SC.
  • Some UConn fans will criticize Husky players and coaches about the game tonight, and some of those criticisms may be justified. However, many criticisms will simply be the emotional response to the disappointment that we all feel when our beloved Huskies come up short of our hopes and expectations. I will remind everyone that as bad as we all may feel about UConn’s loss, the players feel infinitely worse.
  • I want to express my heartfelt thanks and deep appreciation to our departing seniors: Christyn, Liv & Evina, whose dedication, hard work and sacrifice for UConn WBB was extraordinary. I wish each of them great success in the WNBA or wherever their paths in life may lead them. They will always be in our hearts.
  • How I love UConn WBB! I will be following their every move in the offseason, impatiently counting the days until Dorka, Aubrey, Paige, Aaliyah, Nika, Piath, Azzi, Caroline, Amari, Ice & Ayanna lace up their sneakers, trying once again to chase down a 12th banner. GO HUSKIES!!!
Congratluatuions to the Seniors Paige was terrific, twq touch Freshmen Caroline and Amerri (De Berry Was a Lady) fantastic game for both, Evina the giant killer, Edwards the terror of posts,
I'm terribly sad for the Uconn Ladies but pleased with their effort.
Congratulations South Caroline--7 or 8 talented kids determined to win. Boston is large in many ways she is a difference maker and our kids played her well.
Ono, disappointed me in the first half and won my admiration in the second, thank you Miss Olivia for a your Uconn Career--you will be missed in many ways.
Chrystn (sp) Williams from North Little Rock Arkansas gave us every thing she had and everything Carolina allowed. Personally, you game me joy in watching you. You'll be a great pro. Thank you for 4 wonderful years of your life.
Evina, a Vol from Tenn She is the transfer that proved the rules are to be broken. You made watching you a pleasure. You, like Paige and Caroline is a clutch player. You deliver when the going is toughest. You shall be missed
Dorka, I hope you heal well, return next year. Your experience is needed.
To the Boneyard and UC Fans--bless and keep you in this off season thank Nan and the Mods and you Fans for an enjoyable season. It has been a great pleasure talking Uconn with you.

Reaction Score
Geno's or rather UCONN's Achillie's heel has always been small quick guards. Thats how we lost several final four games. But we did a great job with what we had and I am so proud of our team and heart broken for them.
It seemed we weren't prepared, as if we didn't know SC was a strong rebounding team. How is that possible? But I didn't realize Ono was limited as much as she was by her groin injury, Azzi being sick was a blow, it would have been great to have Dorka healthy and playing & Aubrey too. Some players were hesitant to drive to basket, when brief as they were, opportunities to drive & maybe get foul shots did occur- very fast reacting defense by SC- Liv's injury comes to mind. SC is a really strong squad, I'd say they are one of the best teams I've ever seen, which makes it a mystery how they still lost a couple of times during the season. I disagreed with some of the game time strategies including playing times for various players, but I did like how how hard we tried. If we played them again and if everyone was healthy including Audrey, we'd be much more competitive. But, multiple players would have to be-taught how to box out and stay between their opponent and the basket, that really was shocking to see. I hope that incoming players Brady and Patterson will start to generate some needed toughness, both on offense and with defense & rebounding. We play pretty but man, we got thrashed at the start yesterday. We were spent by 4th quarter, the injuries took their toll, too exhausted and SC lead expanded again from 6 points to final outcome.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom